Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Up to you members!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
chevymanmike1010
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up to you members!!!

Hey guys.
Well its time for a new engine for my savage xl. Im tired of gettin beat by my buddies ofna .32 lol. Ive got a axial .32rr-1. Ive narrowed it down to a few an want you guys to vote. which ever yall choose i will get!

1.Clocked novarossi 28-7rt($375, talked to supertib this morning)
2.Stock picco(wanted clocked but unavailable right now. $200)
3.Lrp 28($170?)
4.Lrp 30(little more i think)
5.Clocked ofna .32($180)
6.Sh .28($90ha ha just for craps and giggles)

Im wanting something i can put a rotostart on an has good all round power. Im tryin tostay cheap as possible but not if i get the novarossi ha ha but you get what you pay for an they haul serious a##.I'll be runninga ths pipe, 52t spur 16t clutch bellan my 6" tall lst bogger tires. Up to you guys. Vote away!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM
savagecommander

Default RE: Up to you members!!!

$375? GOOD GOD MAN..... i figured they'd be expensive, but thats a bit steep. youre sure he didnt mean pesos or yen?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM
moezer

motor isnt every thing dude, ur spur set up is not really for speed lol, i have an XTM 6 port .28 in my savage X, and i love the thing, i have big joe tires on my truck rpm a arms alloy turn buckles  alloy side braces alloy fule gaurd and the thing still hauls ass, i havent had a wide range to really keep the truck fully opend but I run in a grassy field  and the big joes still baloon
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$120 +/- mod job, $255 for a 7 port nova, seems reasonable considering what your getting. The nova would be my first choice if you can afford it, the ths pipe may not work very well if it has a 10mm ID stinger, the high performance engines like an 8mm stinger much better.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:23 AM
supertib

Nova sell for $274.00 stock... it is turbo head and comes with a fancy roto backplate as well as the appropriate roto wand........... it is definitely a expensive engine, but its performance and tuning characteristics are excellent.....In this case you definitely get what you pay for.....
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM
ejc34710

I love the LRP Z28r Spec3. Great power, easy to tune, only 170.00. I'm more than sure the Novarossi and Picco put out more power, but the LRP is a great engine for the price. We went from an HPI .25 to the LRP so of course i'm gonna love it.[8D]
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
chevymanmike1010

well we all run the same spur an clutch bell combo. only thing different on our trucks is tuning, engine and driver. Im really leaning towards the nova just cause i know the quality and performance is great. plus supertib is a beast at modding and knows his stuff very well. If he says its a good engine its a good engine. Lrp sounds good to though. i just want some wicked top end. but im also watchin a picco .28 p3 on fleabay right now thats dirt cheap. its on auction though so im gonna wait till the last minute.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
-SomeGuy-

I like craps n giggles so i say get the SH.28. At 90$ each you can get 4 for the price of one modded nova. Hell you could be the first guy to have a quad engine savage (j/k of course).

Take into consideration spare parts availability and price when choosing, nova engines are expensive to fix as well as buy. I had a hard time getting OWB, PS or roto for mine. If you have the patience to go through a 1 to 1.5 gallon break in, get the stock picco.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
djyjrlz

sh 28 was an ok engine... not the best but with a good pipe it seemed to scream. but the pinch didnt last too long and it was quickly (2-3 gallons) just like a standard savage engine. still pulled wheelies but wasnt snappy like when it was new. still reccomend it because bang for buck it is one of the best out there
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
supertib

So far we have 2.5 gallons on the Nova 28-7 running the ERCM side bleed pipe... My customer has not had to touch the needles since the day we broke it in...tho the 2 times I have seen the engine run I have slightly leaned the HSN....The engine rips even with a noticeable rich tune and never seems to stall, after I leaned the HSN on Sunday the engine was absolutely ridiculous....... I have yet to see such a powerful engine be so stable on tune....To me this is something that is very impressive..usually high output engines are not so forgiving on tune, but yet this Nova seems to break the rules....
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LRP 30. Good engine for the money. Some modded Nova might be nice, but it's not gonna be three times as nice as an LRP.

You can also get a Losi 454 on ebay for $130 or so. It's the same as an LRP Spec 3.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
chevymanmike1010

Well guys i went with a brand new never run picco p3 .28. I got it for $145. not bad for a picco so i jumped on it. its a older model(still 51232) but its brand new not a drop of fuel through it. Im sure its still a screamer though. its gonna be awhile till i run it probably cause im thinkin bout sendin it straight to supertib, but im a tightwad with my money so we'll see how that goes. to bad he dont take trades besides cash ha ha... an im sure itll beat the hell outta my Axial .32rr-1, un modded!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
-SomeGuy-

Good choice! I think you should just run it as is. Once its fully broken in and running at full power, if you feel its not enough then save up for a modded one for next summer. Remember that picco engines are built with quality materials and last for many gallons. I ran a good 8 gallons through my .27 and it still has a good pinch at running temp. This engine had sand go through it, not always had ARO but it just keeps going.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
chevymanmike1010

Thats probably what im gonna do. by next summer picco should be out with somethin new, so ill pick up another one. i think im about to order a ercm end bleed pipe. now this is my first picco, so what do yall recommend for break in? on my other engines ive always just done the 5 tank break in an never had a problem. only thing that sucks is i gotta wait till it gets here. im pretty stoked. Ive had a few different engines in the two years ive been in this hobby but never a picco. Ive had an ofna .28, ofna .32, losi 454, axial .28, axial .32rr(current), sh. 18(junk redcat) and a O.S .30 which was the biggest dissapointment ive ever had with an rc engine so far, it was garbage. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
chevymanmike1010

by the way, nice head bangin mega man some guy. I miss that game ha ha, kids now days dont know bout the great video games of the late 80's and 90's lol. Im only 24 but iplayed it growin up.......wow......off topic....
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
steed2-inactive

my favourite classic was prototype for sega master system, you may not remember that one ( i am 30) sega master system was the first sega system
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
-SomeGuy-

Use the heat cycle method for break in. I like it because you can tune for power sooner than the factory way. Also keep it slightly on the rich side for the first 1 to 1.5 gallons, one day it will just wake up and go nuts on you. Thats the day it gets fully broken in and you can tune for optimum performance.

My favorite megaman game:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmQWP1vFIQ&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM
BudBud

Picco 28s rock! I have the LRP 30 and a Picco 28 it is not. No experience with the Ofna 32, but I do like their .28. Tib can teach you more Picco tuning tips than anybody I know of. I need to try that new Pipe of PureNitro's. We always ran Ofna 086 pipes, but maybe that is o longer the hot setup. I am like Someguy, I love my Picco 27!! Glen
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 AM
supertib

Well I wont say my engines are the cheapest...you can spend alot less money and get a decent working engine......... However I do think I offer a great value even tho my prices are higher then a stock engine......First thing is I have an excellent warranty program on my engines, if you have a problem I will take care of you, even if it is your fault I will still try to get you rolling again for very little cost.......My engines have a hand lapped piston/sleeve so you do not need to spend 2 gallons breaking in that tight Italian 28, 1/2 gallon or less and my engine is ripping it up, also because of that you have far less chance of damaging the OWB....A new tight 28 can be a killer on the OWB...... I also provide some of the best technical support you can ask for, if you need tuning advice I am always available to my customers....... Good luck getting that kind of support with a stock engine......... As well my modified engines will perform substantially better then the stock engine, they will breakin faster, tune easier and make a pile more power and RPM...For example a stock Picco 28 is really not much stronger then a stock LRP, as from the factory Picco has detuned the engines timing, same goes for the Nova... Yes the Picco and Nova are higher quality engines, but in stock trim they really aren't anything too impressive as far as performance is concerned....The modified version definitely costs more, but it will deliver a huge amount more performance then the stock counterpart, the difference is night and day.........IMO the cheapest price doesn't always give you the best value.......in the case of my modifieds you do get what ypu pay for.....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Nitrojunkie666

Ive owned/ran em all

the mighty picco for the win