Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine Break In

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Winslow253

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Break In

Okay so i know this has been asked b4 buti wanted a up to date awnser, what is the best way to break in my savage x ss, i have done the traxxas heat break in were you drive it around with my 3.3 and .15but i havent done the hpi idle break in. so what one is the best and makes the engine last longer when i get it back from hpi since my truck came with one that had a chip in the piston that wouldnt let me pull it over.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Winslow253

Default RE: Engine Break In

Anybody?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
llkoolskillet

Did your Savage come with a manual? If so in that manual it has the break in instructions. The way i break my motors in is roughly the same. First tank you let the truck idle thru the entire tank. Some people do this with the wheels off the ground some dont. When the tank is empty let the engine cool down with the piston at bottom dead center. You want the piston tool cool outside of the sleeve every time your done with the engine. The 2nd tank of fuel you drive around in small circles using a 1/4 of the throttle untill tank empties. Again let the engine cool down with the piston at BDC. 3rd tank use half throttle and do the same small circles, then cool at BDC. 4th tank you full throttle to drive around, then cool at BDC. 5th tank you can either do the same as the 4th tank or you can very slightly lean the HSN and drive it around. When you lean the HSN you do so in 1/8 turns clockwise. Mind you when your breaking the motor in keep the needles at stock settings. If the truck is having a hard time starting during breakin, lean the HSN about an 1/8 turn. Remember to keeps temps around 200 deg while breakin. After break in which for me is from 6 to 7 tanks then i do a performance tune. Watch for temps keep them under 270 deg for sure. I would say untill the motor has a decent amount of run time i would keep the temps under 250, however keep this in mind. no matter how hot the engine gets, if there is still smoke coming out of the exhaust at WOT then your good cause it means the sleeve and piston are being lubed. Your motor will tell you if its too hot cause it will act sluggishly. Then link below is to an amzing tuning guide. Its very easy to understand and do. Good luck

http://www.extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Winslow253

thanks, hopfully my motor comes in today and ill try that website