Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Flux is locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
savycharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flux is locked up?

Ok so the other day i was driving my flux and all the sudden it locked up! I only got to drive it for about 5 minutes. That was after i replaced the pinion gear. The pinion and spur gear look to be in good shape, but when i give it gas it just starts clicking. The pinion and spur gear are moving against each other, but not much. What is my problem?

Please Help!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
etivac13

Default RE: Flux is locked up?

locked up? if the wheels are not moving..this happened to me... stripped the 18-23t drive gear..
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
savycharlie

No, they move properly. It's just when i give it throttle it acts like it is locked up. I'm not sure what it is because this has never happened to me before.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
savycharlie

It's like the motor is locked up or something because the spur gear will not move, neither will the pinion gear.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM
xerxes

leme ax u sumtn rite quik.

wen u giv it gas it jus stutters & cliks rite?

giv it gas & wen it starts stutterin & clickin, manualy push da truk by hand.

does it take off & drive normally?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
savycharlie

ORIGINAL: xerxes

leme ax u sumtn rite quik.

wen u giv it gas it jus stutters & cliks rite?

giv it gas & wen it starts stutterin & clickin, manualy push da truk by hand.

does it take off & drive normally?

I did just what you said and it did not take off and drive normally. I gave it throttle and pushed it forward manually and it just made that weird noise and didn't go anywhere. It's like the motor is hung up or something like that.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM
xerxes

hmm. wit da power off, can u roll it by hand freely?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 PM
savycharlie

hmm. wit da power off, can u roll it by hand freely?
Nope. The differentials are not locked up, when i spin one of the tires it works as it should. It is something with the motor but i don't know what.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
xerxes

well if ur posetiv its da motor, tak it apart. unless its da alfastar. i coodnt get dat 1 apart, evn aftr gettn da endbell screws out
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
savycharlie

What? I appreciate your help, but i didn't understand what you said.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 PM
parry13
My Feedback: (1)

well if ur posetiv its da motor, tak it apart. unless its da alfastar. i coodnt get dat 1 apart, evn aftr gettn da endbell screws out
Well, If you are positive it's the motor, take it apart. unless its the alphastar motor. I couldn't get that one apart even after getting the endbell screws out.

Also have you tried taking the motor out of the truck and turning the spur gear? Does it turn smoothly?

Also check the motor outside of the truck. Just try spinning the shaft first and see if it turns easily. It should help you figure out if its the transmission or the motor.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: parry13

Also have you tried taking the motor out of the truck and turning the spur gear? Does it turn smoothly?

Also check the motor outside of the truck. Just try spinning the shaft first and see if it turns easily. It should help you figure out if its the transmission or the motor.
I was going to add a similar comment: remove the pinon gear and push the truck on the ground. Does anything feel or sound rough or not like it should? Then tryparry13's advice and turn the motorwithout the pinon to see if it turns on it's own. This should tell you whether the problem lies with the motor or the drive train. I would probably crack open the top half of the transmission anyway to see if anything is going on inside there.

You mentioned that the differentials are functioning because you can turn one wheel and the other side turns the opposite direction. But, that really only means the spider gears are still intact. What if the ring and pinon gears are crunched? You'll have to push the truck to see if anything binds or locks up.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 AM
steed2-inactive

very basic suggestion, was it the low voltage cutoff? when mine kicks in the truck will move a little then stop.?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM
savycharlie

Ok thanks guys i'll take the motor and and try to spin the spur gear.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
rclugnut10

as i'm sure you noticed the motor doesn't spin super smoothly on it's own due to the strength of the magnets so it will feel notchy... when you pull the motor out, but it should run just fine, and shouldn't take much to push it and get it going...

the lug
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
savycharlie

It's like the clutch is locked up or something because the spur gear wont spin. And obviously do to that, the motor and pinion wont spin.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might have destroyed a gear in the tranny.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Brainanator

i say a tranny gear....if you think the clutch is locked then you obviously don't know what's going on. There is nothing wrong with that though, not trying to sound degrading. You just need to start tearing into stuff find out where the problem is.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
savycharlie

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

i say a tranny gear....if you think the clutch is locked then you obviously don't know what's going on. There is nothing wrong with that though, not trying to sound degrading. You just need to start tearing into stuff find out where the problem is.
Ya you're right! I'm only 15 and i'm still learning. I'm getting better at working on them though, i just need to do it more.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look in the transmission:

Start by removing the 4 screws that secure the grab handle to the chassis. Pay attention to where the screws were removed from because 1 of them is shorter than the others.
Remove the spur gear guard which is retained by 1 screw.
Remove the 3 screws that point down located at the top of the transmission.
Remove the top half of the transmission; the top shaft (spur gear shaft) will come out with it.

From here you can inspect the internal gears and see if anything is broken.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Brainanator

ORIGINAL: savycharlie

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Ya you're right! I'm only 15 and i'm still learning. I'm getting better at working on them though, i just need to do it more.

Thanks for the help guys!
Exactly, nothing wrong with being a beginner. Everyone was at some point in time. Best thing to learn how to do in this his is: take stuff apart, put it back together how you took it apart. haha.
Also, take a look in your manual, read it through if you haven't yet, even if it's boring. The manual goes through a lot of the maintenance steps for the savage flux, with decent illustrations. It also has the most valuable tool, the Exploded View. Which tells you where each part goes, and the part number so you have order the exact right part.
Good luck! and have fun working on it!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
savycharlie

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Look in the transmission:

Start by removing the 4 screws that secure the grab handle to the chassis. Pay attention to where the screws were removed from because 1 of them is shorter than the others.
Remove the spur gear guard which is retained by 1 screw.
Remove the 3 screws that point down located at the top of the transmission.
Remove the top half of the transmission; the top shaft (spur gear shaft) will come out with it.

From here you can inspect the internal gears and see if anything is broken.

Good luck!
Ok i did exactly what you said and the main gear in the tranny is perfectly fine. As a matter of fact all of the gears in the tranny are fine. I tried turning the pinion which is still on the motor shaft and it wouldn't move. I'm pretty confused on to what the problem is because this has never happened to me before.

Sidenote: i can turn the pinion gear but it takes a decent amount of force and it isn't smooth at all.

Thanks for the help everyone!

savycharlie
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Brainanator

pinion gear (on the motor) should feel very notchy. That is the magnets and windings and and what not. As long as there are no grinding sounds or something then your motor is fine. Notchy and smooth is good, notchy and gritty is bad.

With the tranny being fine, next culprit could be drive shafts (dogbones and cups) or the diff ring and pinion. The manual shows you have to access your differentials pretty quick and easily. Since the diffs unload easy when you spin the wheels, you're examining the outside of the diff.

Actually....now that you got the top of the tranny off, how does the feel? still locked up?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
savycharlie

Ya with the tranny cover off i can push the truck forward with no problems. Since the pinion gear is meshed with the spur gear (and the pinion gear wouldn't move without me manually pushing it with the spur gear off i can push it and everything looks, and feels fine.) I plugged the batteries in and tried it with the spur gear out (transmission) and the motor shaft/pinion gear moved just fine. Like you said it wouldn't push very easily manually because of the magnets.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
sparky 25

Perhaps your gear mesh is set way too tight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.