Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Its been a while RCU.. Help me rebuild my truck

ORIGINAL: 46u

The TVP chassis I run HPI does not make anymore but it is not a mid tank set up but motor transmission and so on set about 1/4 inch lower then on the X. Other then CF is the lightest chassis I know of.
I remember that one, I was actually looking for it when I started this thread and couldn't find it anywhere [:@]. Oh well I'll see how long this lasts.

Right now I'm not all that concerned about lightweight, the truck is somehow heavier than a stock X. I still need the Picco backplate, I'll possibly be picking up a reverse module and 3 speed tranny for a spare. If I do end up getting reverse, I'll build a plow for the snow- I've always wanted to try it.

Apart from that I was really pissed a week ago cause I was about to bid on a beautiful dodge ram body on ebay brand new for $35 shipped when for some reason ebay asking me for my p/w at the last few secs when I was going to sneak a bid in, someone else bid and I lost it [:@]. I can't wait to finally run some nitro again
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most times sneaking a bid at the last moment is the best way to go but I have seen many times those that do have a problem at the last moment. Keep us posted and have fun.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: 46u

Most times sneaking a bid at the last moment is the best way to go but I have seen many times those that do have a problem at the last moment. Keep us posted and have fun.

Agreed, that was the first time that ever happened to me. Next time I'll be sure I'm logged in before the last few seconds.. I have no idea how I got logged out like that. Oh well, there'll be more deals.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
46u

I have all so at the last minute had server problems that keep me from winning or eBay site messed up. I won a few things that others had problems at the last minute and ended up getting a good deal. Does not happen often but does happen.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
rcnitrohead

Just bought a 3 speed transmission for $6.04 shipped, used of course..

Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Just bought a 3 speed transmission for $6.04 shipped, used of course..

Sounds good, being used I would at least take it apart and check it out before installing.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
rcnitrohead

Thats the plan, hell for $6 I'd be happy with just a tranny case haha. Still looking for a used or cheap new reverse module.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Thats the plan, hell for $6 I'd be happy with just a tranny case haha. Still looking for a used or cheap new reverse module.
I agree. I never thought of getting the 3 speed as I mostly race. I am taking my Savage out of retirement after about 3 or 4 years. Nothing wrong with it but did have to order a new RX battery. Should be here by first of the week.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM
rcnitrohead

I used to be all about light weight and having the quickest MT around, but these days I just don't have time to tinker with it so I just want a solid platform. Funny thing is that my truck was still the quickest one around here this summer with completely unbalanced/ wobbly tires.

As far as the 3 speed, I've never owned one and never planned to buy one cause I know the 3rd gear is weaker.. But for this price I couldn't pass it up. I'm still running my all original tranny that came with my truck back in 04 after around 18 gallons

I need to do research to see whats the best way to put my new foams/ wheels together so I don't have ballooning and foam degradation. I'm interested to see how the green panther foams I got will work, they're quite a bit firmer than stock.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM
46u

Here is a link on beefing up the 3 speed,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm

Do you run metal or plastic spurs? I have all ways run the plastic and never had a problem with them. I like the least rotating weight as possible.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
rcnitrohead

I run plastic as well, I never stripped any until I started bending/ cracking engine plates. I'm hoping that'll come to an end with this new FLM plate.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM
llkoolskillet

To help resolve your tire issue, aome guys use gorilla tape and tape the inside of the rubber a few times then them tape the foam. Mostly flux guys do this!

46u you beat me to it haha

The BP 3spd is a must if you plan on droppin the 3spd in your truck. Even the stock F4.6 will trash that tranny. A bad landing will also do the same. Its a cheap super easy mod and IMO its the best mod you can do to a savage. There are guys here and on SC that run this mod with 6S lipo power with great results. Im runnin ABmods picco 28 and ERCM picco 28 on both my XLs with no drive train issues. Got about 5 gallons thru my first all metal tranny

Oh and thats the key, with in the thread is the link to the ebay seller that sells the steel 44t 1st gear, replace the plastic one trust me. Read my thread and you will see what happens lol!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
rcnitrohead

Thanks man!

I got the Picco backplate last night, will get the gorilla tape asap and put this bad boy together.. Its been too long since I burned nitro!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

Hey,

I know you already received what seemed to be a beefier FLM engine plate; however if that fails, and it probably well considering they always crack at that thin section between the back left engine mount hole and the rear of the plate, I have good news for ya! I was facing the same problem you are with cracking/bending flm engine plates, and the poor selection of plates available for flm lcg tvps made me even resort to grinding a plate off of an xl as a fix. That broke eventually too (go figures) so I decided to try out [link=http://www.innovative-rc.com/engine-plate-tvps-savage-tvps-p-279.html?osCsid=07e7d377509212aa36fb9a2c38e3824b]Innovative-RCs LCG Engine Plate[/link]. The good news is that it fits with the FLM lcg tvps without modification, and it is one solid piece (the cross members are actually machined with the plate). It's solid as all hell; this summer I was jumping the savage off of 30 ft drops at a gravel site and managed to snap 2 LST shock shafts and bend 2 dog bones (the beefy xl ones) simultaneously after a poor landing. It surely would have mangled an flm engine plate too, but the installed Innovative RC one is still going strong after it all. I highly recommend it as it will be the LAST engine plate you ever have to buy!

Best regards and happy bashing!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
rcnitrohead

Thanks I appreciate you telling about your experience. I'll see how this one holds up for now, the IRC plate is out of stock though.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 PM
rcnitrohead

Backplate is in as of today.

Yesterday someone tboned my car which cause me to slam into a parked car. My classic 2 seater pontiac is destroyed [:@]. I guess I'll be working on- and driving the Savage a lot now