Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Two questions on savvy x. brakes and bevel gear

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Two questions on savvy x. brakes and bevel gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
redfox03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions on savvy x. brakes and bevel gear

Hello everyone! I was wondering, are the fiberglass brake disks better than the dual steel brake disk on the savage x? I have a savage x SS with the dual steel brake disks. they work decent, but if the fiberglass is better that will definately be on my list of parts to order. My second question is about the diff shims. My bevel gear got chewed up last year before the end of the season. My question is, if i order just the bevel gear itself (yes, it'll be the BP one), do the shims come with it? if not, is there a part number for the shims?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM
sparky 25

Default RE: Two questions on savvy x. brakes and bevel gear

The dual fibreglass brakes are a lot better than the steel xss brakes,

You will also need to buy the hex shaped drive cup coming out of the transmission from a savage xl,
As the one that holds the xss steel discs is a lot smaller than the hex in the centre of the fibreglass discs.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 AM
llkoolskillet

Bevel gear, are you talking about the little plantary gears inside the diff? If so you can reuse the shims you already have
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
redfox03

not the gears inside, but this one http://hobbyproinc.com/store/product...FS-oPAodlxIA-Q . one side of that gear has the teeth broken off. took me a long time to break something on the X, and it was a diff. truck is crazy tough.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM
pipedup

That is more than likely side play between the crown, large gear, and the pinion, smaller gear. You need to get a shim that will fit between the bearing and the crown orshim the bearing away from the housing. If you look at my build project located here at RCU and look at the picture of the differential and all the parts you can see the large shim. That is the shim I use to move my bearing and crown away from the housing. It is a thin shim and I found it by taking my bearing and crown into the LHS and they found some shims that would work for me. They need to be thin so regular washers won't work. What is happening is the gears arent meshing properly. If you were to assemble it without the shim you can grab the whole differential and try an wiggle it side to side, it shouldn't move. What you are trying to achieve is to get all the play out of the gears. Be sure that you have everything super clean when reassembling as any contaminants make a difference. I hope this helps?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM
redfox03

yep that helps. thanks for the info.