Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

5.9 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
miller185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 will not start

It's a Savage XL 5.9, bought the truck used, not running, with no carb. Engine was gummed up real bad aswell. Completely tore it apart/ cleaned/ reassembled and installed a new carb. But I cannot get this thing to start, I can get it to the point where it sounds like it is just about to fire up, but thats it. It has started a couple times but died instantly.

Here is what I have tried so far:

-Checked glow ignitor and tried multiple glow plugs
-Swapped fuel tank out with one from a running Savage
-Pipe is clear, fuel line is in good shape and not obstructed
-Fuel does come out when line is disconnected and exhaust tip is covered
-Air filter is clean, also can see fuel flow into carb when cranking with filter off
-Double checked all head screws are tight
-I have not touched the carb settings yet as it is brand new

Anyone got any other ideas? Could I just not have the compression for it to fire? Any way to check it? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 PM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck yet? I had the same thing with my 25. My fix was that when it wanted to fire, it just would not. My factory carb settings were way too rich. I leaned out the LSN a little till it fired and adjusted from there. What do you mean exhaust tip is covered?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:59 PM
miller185

No not yet, I will try playing with the carb tomorrow, but if that doesn't work I think I'll just order a piston/sleeve for it. And I meant that I had the fuel line removed and primed it to make sure fuel is getting to the carb.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Barracuz

Check the piston and sleeve before you even order one. Is their any pinch when the piston reaches top dead center? There should be some resistance when it reaches tdc.

Try playing with the carb. Carbs are not guaranteed to have correct setting for any engine straight from the package. Needles can loosen with shipping, assemblers during manufacturing might not set the screw correctly etc.

Also your engine might need a diffrent tune to start than what the manual says. Your engine is worn and tired and cannot be compared to a brand new engine. Play with the needle settings a bit and report back.