Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Reset 21bb needles, now it wont start. Help!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Reset 21bb needles, now it wont start. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
03 DSG Snake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset 21bb needles, now it wont start. Help!

I was running lean yesterday so once I pulled it in I figured it was time for a clean slate with the tuning.

I reset all the needles tonight per HPI and the forum, now it will not start.

Just sitting there with the Rotostart it just pushes the piston up and down without even sounding like its trying to "catch".

Carb wasnt flooded, fuel was primed. Brand new glow plug and I also checked both my glow igniters to make sure they were fine.

Can anyone provide some advice? I'm due to go bashing after work tomorrow and don't want to be the one stuck in the dirt trying to sort things out.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 10:43 AM
cid

Default RE: Reset 21bb needles, now it wont start. Help!

The same thing happend to my friend with a savage 25 what we finally figured out was that the factory settings were wrong. what we did was go to a lhs and look at another one from looking at that one it was ovious that our settings were way off. so what we did was turn the hsn out to the edge were the screw head was even with the metal sleeve we also turned the lsn out until it was even with the rubber after that it started up and we were able to adjust from there this may or may not help you but it did work for us.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:21 AM
03 DSG Snake

I might try that this afternoon.

My buddy is gonna have his out running. I guess I can compare if needed.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:17 PM
tegwin

Yea, ime not quite sure what the maufacturors are playing at. I had a newish PIcco .26 and i returned that to factory settings and it flooded before it started. That was realitivley simple to sort out. But why cant maunfacturors get it righ??
Old 02-09-2004, 06:11 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

settings from the company are jus a ballpark figure. Usually they are to rich to even start the engine. All you have to do is lean out the low and high a bit and your set.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
03 DSG Snake

Got it running finally, I think its tuned better than before.

It will start on the second press of the RotoStart and takes off like crazy.

The only other thing is that when letting off the gas it sounds like it stays a bit high for a second then drops back to idle.

Is my LSN too lean?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 AM
8000ft

nope, the lsn is to rich. i just read an artical on this and it suprized me.
i can't remember which post it was but it went something like this.
when the lsn is to rich the idle must be set higher to keep it running which in turn the hsn must be set higher to keep it running at wfo, which in turn makes the settings as a whole richer(including the lsn)........in other words a compounding problem.
the reason that it revs up before it settels back down is due to the "loading up" in the crank case due to the over rich hsn setting.

the long and short of it is to lean out your lsn (just a click or two, then re-adjust your hsn.
i know this is backwards from what is supposed to be done but it gets you more in the ball park quicker for final tuning
p.s. this is only good to do when the engine is acting the way that you discribed, not for a engine that is running fairly well, then you would want to stick to the hsn then the lsn method.

it sounds crazy but i did it and was very suprized with the results
lower more consistant idle
better smoke trail at top end
cooler temps
better fuel economy