Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Rung screw

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Model Mania

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rung screw

Does anyone have any good tips on takin out screws with rung heads?
Old 05-21-2004, 08:50 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rung screw

You can use an impact driver. If you don't know what that is it looks like a thick handled screw driver with interchangeable tips (metal handle). You press it down into the head and while applying pressure and torque in the direction to turn the screw out and you hit it with a hammer. That will usually do it. I took out all the Phillips screws along the sides of the truck and replaced them with Allen head bolts. That is, all the ones that go into metal not plastic. If you still can't get them to budge with an impact driver you can try using and Easy Out. You drill the appropriate size hole in the center of the screw and turn it out using the Easy Out. Use a sharp drill bit and drill it on center. Use some cutting oil while drilling the screw to keep from dulling the bit. If it cuts into the threads of the screw hole you may have to re-tap the threads or drill it up to the next size threads..... Good luck!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:55 AM
8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, go to any hardware store and ask for a small tapered screw extractor. it looks kind of like a drill bit but with reversed threads. if you have an extra screw of the same size bring it with you, so the helpfull people at the store can fix you up with the correct size extractor. i'm sure they will be able to tell you how to use it.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Model Mania

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks alot yoo may have saved me an engine