Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Mammoth vs. Savage

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 11:09 PM
LT SMASH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mammoth vs. Savage

Hey Everybody!
I have recently been intrigued by the XTM Mammoth because of how big it is and the top speed!
Savage-38mph
Mammoth-52mph
Savage~21"
Mammoth~23.5"

Anyways, I am not an XTM enthusiast, but I am a careful FIRST TIME nitro truck shopper.
Please list the pros and cons of both of them because I heard the Mammoth has problems with clutch and that the parts need to be replaced frequently!

Second question is...
if there is a way to increase the Savage's top speed from 38 to 50, what is it? And how much will the upgrades cost?

Smash
Old 05-28-2004, 11:26 PM
bkmademedoit

Default RE: Mammoth vs. Savage

i too am a careful buyer, second timer but still new...anyway i've picked up so far that the savage is the durability leader. check out slapmafro.com for INSANE videos of the savage in action. i suppose with some gearing changes you could pick up speed with the savage.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Blackjaxx360
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: LT SMASH

Hey Everybody!
I have recently been intrigued by the XTM Mammoth because of how big it is and the top speed!
Savage-38mph
Mammoth-52mph
Savage~21"
Mammoth~23.5"

Anyways, I am not an XTM enthusiast, but I am a careful FIRST TIME nitro truck shopper.
Please list the pros and cons of both of them because I heard the Mammoth has problems with clutch and that the parts need to be replaced frequently!

Second question is...
if there is a way to increase the Savage's top speed from 38 to 50, what is it? And how much will the upgrades cost?

Smash
I wouldn't be too concerned with top speed. What is the obsession with going 100mph in a monster truck??? If speed is what you want then get into 1/8 scale on-road cars, there isn't much faster than that. With a simple engine change such as the Picco .26 Outlaw, Fantom FR27, or the Sirio .27 XLR will get you the top speed your looking for. As for the chassis length, you might want to get the extended TVPs if you plan on getting one of these engines if you want to keep your front tires on the ground. I don't know much about the Mammoth other than what people say. But I can speak for the Savage. As with anything, you will spend money depending on how hard you play with it. The Savage is extremely durable, but not invincible. Bkmademedoit was right, just check out slapmafro.com. Email those guys. They recommend the Savage over any other truck so far. If you do half the stuff they do, you'll make out ok, [sm=bananahead.gif] The only "real" problem with the Savage ( other than a mediocre engine), is that the stock wheels have a tendency to strip out the hexes. The stock wheels are way too soft. Which can be easily fixed with a couple drops of CA around the inside of the hex and making sure your wheel nuts are tight before, during, and after each run. Or you can buy Some new wheels, like Beadlocks, Prolines, Velocity's.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:17 AM
sn0wrider
My Feedback: (1)

i have this one video of the mammoth where the guy gets it and jumps it off a bmx jump and goes about 15 feet in the air and lands on the roof, turns it over and does it again and again and again..why would you want a savage? everybody and their cuzins mother has one..get the mammoth, its a true basher..
Old 05-29-2004, 10:32 AM
rclement

So where's the link to the Mammoth?
Old 05-29-2004, 11:03 AM
sn0wrider

right here.. http://media.hobbypeople.net/video/2003mammothweb.rm
Old 05-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Blackjaxx360

ORIGINAL: sn0wrider

i have this one video of the mammoth where the guy gets it and jumps it off a bmx jump and goes about 15 feet in the air and lands on the roof, turns it over and does it again and again and again..why would you want a savage? everybody and their cuzins mother has one..get the mammoth, its a true basher..
The reason everyone wants a Savage is for its unmatched durability. Though this was a short but decent video I have to wonder was this truck stock. And since there aren't many hop-ups available in my area, I'll just hold on to my Savage.[>:] This is just one video. I'd like to see more of this Mammoth. What are its true capabilities? Does it hold any problems that need to be fixed out of box? I still see the Savage being a better truck based on design. Or maybe I'm just biased. Either way, I liked the vid, thanks[sm=cool.gif]
Old 05-29-2004, 04:42 PM
sn0wrider

all u need to worry about is the shock towers, and yes this mammoth is all stock..i love the mammoth, it kicks ars!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:00 PM
LT SMASH

k, I'm gonna go get savage
I have no money to make large replacements of parts that keep breaking
THANKS GUYS!
*bump*
Old 05-30-2004, 05:20 PM
sn0wrider

ok..suit yourself buy the savage, when a mammoth smokes you dont complain..hahahah honestly the mammoth is a better basher..didnt u watch the video?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Spudnik

a true basher is the mad force. i don't want to start a flame war, but that is what the truck was mad for, for fun, as for the savage, i have done some stuff to my truck that should be illegal, i tried to jump a fence, but hit it and landed on the roof nothing. THis this i s a rock
Old 05-31-2004, 09:18 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay i own both a Savage and a Mammoth....the Savage is by far the better truck.....the Mammoth has a good motor and thats about it..it breaks easily, is slow compared to the savage with the same motor......my biggest complaint about the Mammoth is it has terrible gear ratios, way too tall for any low end..........jumping the savage if far far better....bashing the Mammoth is a joke...on a track the Mammoth is OK but nothing compared to other truggies........sorry to say but the Mammoth isn't as nice as tthe other trucks..it best and only good quality is the 24/7 engine...i am selling my Mammoth and buying a LST...........................................anyb ody who says a Mammoth is a real basher compared to a savage has obviously never run with a savage...every weekend every Mammoth in our group breaks...guaranteed unreliable if you bash it like a Savage.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:53 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

i think that slapping monster tires on a buggy, and calling it a truck is pretty lame.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Blackjaxx360

k, I'm gonna go get savage
I have no money to make large replacements of parts that keep breaking
THANKS GUYS!
*bump*
You will be happy.[8D]
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Skidd-au

As a newbie in this hobby I went through the same tough choices about 2 months ago. I can honestly say that the savage will not dissapoint you... it is as tough as they come.

Here is a video that a mate made of me bashing the heck out of my savage.

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/img/29925]Downunder savage bash[/link]

LOL... I never said I was a good driver yet, but after all that beating, I left the BMX track with nothing broken and very pleased in the durability of my purchase.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:42 AM
harley626

I think that took a harder beating then that mamoth, I am just now picking up my first truck and have decided to get the savage 25 I have never really seen one in action untill then. WOW
Old 06-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Puffnstuff

Over at savage-central they've got a movie section with lots of footage for your to see and compare.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Skidd-au

ORIGINAL: harley626

I think that took a harder beating then that mamoth, I am just now picking up my first truck and have decided to get the savage 25 I have never really seen one in action untill then. WOW
Most of my outings result in the same sort of punishment for my savvy... I'm getting better at the jumps but still have a long way to go to improve. Originally I purchased the savvy because there was a club down here that had a few members near me. I liked the idea of a good local resource to support my new purchase.

Since then I have seen XTM's and Traxxas stuff break and our savvy just keep on going. The only damage I have done after 5 or so outings like the one on the video above is to strip a spur gear. I now know to keep off the throttle when landing.

I must admit that I like the look of the Mamoth, but I'm convinced that it would make a good second truck... and not my primary hard basher. I guess I just have to keep saving.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:54 PM
LT SMASH

Once again, I thank everybody for their input to this topic, I am 100% getting the Savage 25!!
I am a noob to nitro trucking so I have no building ability []
Any suggestions on what I should immediately buy when I get the Savage?
Here is my list so far at approx. $465
Savage 25 RTR...............$390.00
HPI Starter Set...............$50.00
20% Nitro Fuel 1Gallon....$25.00

I would appreciate suggestions, I have about 516 dollars for a budget so THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Frost_

Make sure to get a rechargable glo-starter. The ones that come with combos use alkaline batterys that die VERY quickly. With a new engine that may be hard to start and keep running, you don't need the extra variable, or item to wonder about. Get one with a meter,so you can see when it dies. You will absolutely not regret this purchase.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 PM
LT SMASH

The HPI Starter Set comes with:
1x Rechargeable Glow Plug Igniter, with overnight charger
1x HPI cleaning solution spray thingy
1x 1 quart of 20% fuel
1x 4-way Glow plug wrench
1x spare glow plug w/ washer
1x 250cc fuel bottle.

All for only 50 bucks!
But I am happy it comes with a rechargeable glow plug igniter!
I am gonna get a 500cc bottle too.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Dr.Weasel

Definatly get a temp gauge if your a nobby because when i first my sav.. the needles were way out of whack. ( so to shorten the story) My $30 temp gauge saved me a $170 on a new engine.

The Doc.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:01 AM
LT SMASH

ORIGINAL: Dr.Weasel

Definatly get a temp gauge if your a nobby because when i first my sav.. the needles were way out of whack. ( so to shorten the story) My $30 temp gauge saved me a $170 on a new engine.

The Doc.
Great, this is the info I need!
should I get on board temp gauge or hand held? (I know not to get the Venom)

LT.SMASH
Old 06-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Frost_

The HPI Starter Set comes with:
1x Rechargeable Glow Plug Igniter, with overnight charger
1x HPI cleaning solution spray thingy
1x 1 quart of 20% fuel
1x 4-way Glow plug wrench
1x spare glow plug w/ washer
1x 250cc fuel bottle.

All for only 50 bucks!
But I am happy it comes with a rechargeable glow plug igniter!
I am gonna get a 500cc bottle too.
Yeah, that is a good deal. The glo-starter would be between 24-30 bux alone, the glo-plug between 5-7, the fuel about 8, ..... you get the drift. Duratrax has a good hand-held temp unit for under 25 dollars at Tower.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:28 PM
LT SMASH

Now, are temp readers really mandatory for having a nitro RC? I am up to my budget but I don't have a temp gauge included...
how often will I beed needing them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.