Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Metal on Plasic

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal on Plasic

I have taken apart my savage about 5 times. I noticed that alot of the screws that go into plastic holes wont fit snug any more because the plastic has started to strip. Does anybody have a fix for this problem. If not I will be forced to replace plastic with aluminum which will make my wife want to kick my a**
Old 06-09-2004, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Metal on Plasic

Dont know any fixes []...but the plastic shouldnt have stripped (i have had my car apart more times than i can remember and all the screws are still as tight as ever). You may have been doing the screws up too tight... tough luck IMO []
Old 06-10-2004, 08:04 AM

Have you tried replacing the plastic thread screws with machine screws???
Old 06-10-2004, 08:34 AM

Im not sure what the difference is between the 2.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 AM

machine screws are the the type used to screw into metal, they have a very tight thread, same thread as the engine bolts.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:02 AM

I think full force sells insert kits,, also i've heard that putting a drop of medium ca glue in the hole before you thread in the screw can help alot (just let the ca harden first ),,
Machine screws have a finer thread..
Hope it helps!!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:29 AM

For blind holes like the side plates into the transmission or servo basket I use crazy glue. Just a dab on the end of the screw. If you put too much, you'll end up glueing everything together... For the other stuff, use stainless machine screws. You can pick them up at any hardware store or you can buy them in sets from your LHS or online. Tower Hobbies or even some guys on E-Bay has them at a discount. If you can get a nut on the back side, even better.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 AM

Are you screwing the screws the same way to took them as in the putting the screw into then go counterclockwise it it falls into the grooves then tighten them up??
If not the you making new threads everything single time you screw in. A fix for the screws is not to use ca put to use a little silicone inside then screw in. Then the silicone will conform to the threads making new ones.
so use a silicone and you are your set.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:32 AM

Nice! Thanks everybody. I forgot to mention I am using an 18 volt DeWalt cordless screwgun to work on my savage. I think this will explain why the problem happened. The screwgun reduces my wortime in half so it is worth it for newlywed guys like me whos wives yell at them for woking on toys - and always like to do married guy things "together"
Old 06-10-2004, 02:11 PM

Don't use power tools on the screws. Period.

If you feel you must, then get one that has a built in torque adjustment and start low.

Black and Decker make a tube style with a drop down handle for a pistal feel. It has a torque ring on it so you can dial it in. I only use it in extreme conditions, and usually only to remove a stuborn screw.

I highly recommend the stainless route. Aspecially if you've already done in your threads. These suckers don't budge. and with allan heads, give you better grip with the tools.

You can get a set from RCSCREWZ for about $22.00 bucks with plenty of extras.