Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage .25 Engine life

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:05 PM
ch2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage .25 Engine life

How long can I expect the engine in the savage 25 to last? I read the parts are expensive, but if they last a year I dont mind, but if I need to replace the piston every week than thats stupid. So about how many hours of average use should it last?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Wizz Kid

Default RE: Savage .25 Engine life

replace the piston every week???!!! where did u hear that
Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM
ch2s

I didnt hear that, I just have no idea how long the piston/cylinder last, it could be 1 hour or 1 century for all I know, thats why Im asking.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

Engines last buy how mant gallons of rc fuel you use in it, if its treated good about 6-10 gallons of nitro fuel.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:52 PM
ch2s

And how many hours is 6-10 gallons?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 09:45 PM
crop

total life of a racing engine is 35 hours or so before it completely fails.since monster tuck is hobby class and we don't put it under critical running,the life of an s 25 engine might be longer,depends on how you run it and what fuel you use.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:49 AM
ch2s

Please tell me I read wrong, you're telling me if I use it 1 hour per day I need a new $70 piston assembly each month!?!?!

I just bought the Savage 25 and seriously hopw I read wrong and that I wont need a new $70 part every 35 hours of use!

Thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 02:59 AM
tjaf

You break it in ok (take your time to this good),then tune it OK, don't run too lean and it will last a long time if you're not into racing. I have an engine which still runs fine after 2.5 years (it's not the S-25 though), not rebuilded it once.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:29 AM
crop

i meant not the s25 but racing engines. here in my country,touring car is more prevalent,and an experienced racer told me a NOVAROSSI 12class engine will last about 35-40 hours ,of course for racing. that's quit different from "hobby" running.i and my friends who are savage owners have been happy with the s25 engine for more than 1 year and still pull a wheelie.plus we use tornado fuel,which said to be the best,cuz not enough optional fuel brand in the market[&o]
Old 06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
pbmax

I don't think I've ever run one of my nitros (4 total) for an hour in one sitting. I usually end up breaking something or just getting tired of it way before an hour comes. If the Savage is as durable as you all say it is, maybe I'll be able to hit that 1h mark

I've only toasted one engine, my very first, a HPI Nitro Star 15FE, complete crap power-wise, so I had to lean it out way too much to get decent power out of it. It will still run, but compression is extremely low. I didn't have my infrared temp sensor back then, so it was really easy to run way too hot. They're about half the price now as they were last year or so ($40); if you don't have an ifrared temp sensor, GET ONE! Single best Nitro RC car tool I've purchased to date. My .12 OS CV-R, .12 Mugen MT-12 (Novarossi), and stock GS .21 buggy engine are all running great with tons of compression. Both the .12s are over 2 years old and the .21 is probably about 1.5 years. I don't run them very much these days, but as long as you take care of them they'll last quite a while.

The .12 OS CV-R had sat in my HPI Nitro Racer 2 for over a year w/o use until I started it up last week. Came to life w/o a hitch, ran w/o stalling. I have a friend who runs the same OS CV-R .12 (his is a pull-start, mine uses a starter box) at > 300 degrees on 30% nitro off and on for the last year or so and he still has good compression. Not that you should do that!! Unfortunately, not all engines are created equal.

Anyone know who maufactures the HPI .25?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Spudnik

a different company them hpi. th es25 is a good starting motor, but for my it is more then enough, when it craps outt, i will get a mach .26