Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

im confused?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Wizz Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im confused?!?!?!?

i get er runnin and she sounds a little boggy so i shut her off and tune the stock settings(not break in settings)and i noticed the low speed needle was way out.so i screwed it back in and try to start the engine plugging exhaust and all that stuff and she wont crank over. once i get her started she is screaming hard at idle?!?!? and after 1/5 turn on the idle she shuts off. then ten minutes later we start it up again and she is still screaming hard and the idle is set at 2mm. and look down in the cooling head she is spitting fuel out of the glow plug. change plug and it is still the same screaming hard at idle. i retuned the carb and still same results. WTH is goin on here?!?!?
Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: im confused?!?!?!?

set your hsn and lsn needle back to factory settings. then lean out your lsn 1/2 turn and do the same with the hsn. then start from there.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Wizz Kid

ok i started it again with your tunings and it sounded good for the first 3 minutes and it started wining again so just out of stupid mind i leaned the LSN out until it just shut off. then i realized it was extremely hot and it took a long time to cool off. was this cause it was 100 degrees outside or the tuning.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:43 PM
tkalogiros

Sounds like you are running way too lean. start @ the fastory break in settings. Does your truck run on those ( even if it runs super slow) Then without shutting your engine off, lean the low needle 1/2 turn. Then start leaning the high very very slowly and while the truck is running. take test runs to see changes in performance. A properly tuned engine will idle steadily. If this does not work I would start checking for air leaks in the carb and back plate. What kind of engine is it anyway?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Wizz Kid

i started it again and it did that wine thing again as soon as it heated up. did all that tuning thing (stock, w/e) and it didnt run long enough to tune. i think either the piston is shot or the carb is screwed. im going to my LHS tomorrow and ill have them look at it. thanks for all your help.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM
sdavenport04

ORIGINAL: Viper_GTS-R

ok i started it again with your tunings and it sounded good for the first 3 minutes and it started wining again so just out of stupid mind i leaned the LSN out until it just shut off. then i realized it was extremely hot and it took a long time to cool off. was this cause it was 100 degrees outside or the tuning.
I have to disagree with this. Once you return the needle settings to the manufacturers recommended break in settings the engine should run very rich but still run. If the engine refuses to run at these settings check the air filter for cleanliness, check that there are no leaks in the fuel lines, check the condition of the glow plug and if all of these look good it should run fine, but rich. If all of the previously mentioned items are good but you still can get it to run then you may want to check the engine back plate to make sure it is properly sealed. If you check the and it looks good and still will not run then you may need to replace the piston/sleeve because it could be bad to the point there is not proper engine compression.

When you tune these engines you will get the best results by tuning the hsn first. Once you get the fuel delivery correct and performance seems to be decent then and only then should you adjust the lsn. The lsn is primarily used for throttle response or acceleration. The idle screw, if you engine is equipped, should only be adjusted after the hsn and lsn are set ideally. Trying to adjust the idle when the engine is still not tuned correctly can throw off the tuning completely.

I hope this helps.

Aloha
Old 07-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Q8 RC

OW MAN IF IT dosent start at 100 F i wont start mine when i get it for the whole summer at night our temp. is 108F man that will be bad.

Bader

KUWAIT

ORIGINAL: Viper_GTS-R

Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Wizz Kid

just screw this i already took it in and got it fixed while on a relaxing fishing trip.[8D]