Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

fuel not flowing! Please Help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
blah-blah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel not flowing! Please Help??

I had my savage running a couple of days ago but now I can't the fuel to flow at all. The tank is full. What the Heck? Please help! I have tried to prime the engine by putting my finger over the exhaust and spin the roto-start but still no fuel is moving up the lines. Any suggestions???
Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
fxrs

Default RE: fuel not flowing! Please Help??

Is the fuel lid closed tight? Is the O ring on lid ripped ? Is pressure line from
exhaust pipe to fuel tank on and have no holes ?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
blah-blah

Yup the fuel tank is closed and the O-ring is there. I have checked the fuel lines and don't see any holes or punctures at all.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:38 PM
ZEWSKI

Check to make sure your glow plug and heat sink are tight. Also, blow on the end of the exhaust line (clean before) and see if you can get fuel to flow.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 PM
haispeedRaCer
My Feedback: (3)

oooor you could see if the one way bearing on your rotostart is broken or cracked and not cranking the engine which in turn brings fuel to the carb..
Old 02-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Lt. DEATH

Check if you got your needle set the right way.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:34 PM
blah-blah

The needles are flush with the housings. I am in the process of tuning the truck. I was told to set them flush and lean out from there but I can't even get fuel to flow. I just replaced the fuel lines to see if that was the issue and it made no difference. The roto-start is turning the flywheel so I know it's turning. This is really starting to piss me off.

I replaced the glow plug and it is tight. It is a brand new glow plug. What else could cause this problem???
Old 02-17-2005, 09:45 PM
haispeedRaCer

hmmm..i say check to see if you accidentally put the fuel lines to the wrong places....line from carb accidentally to the pressure fitting on top of the tank..and fuel nipple accidentally to the pressure nipple on the pipe..
Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM
haispeedRaCer

oh yeah..and see if there's any puncture holes or cracks on the fuel tank...usually the back of the tank..
Old 02-17-2005, 10:05 PM
blah-blah

nope got the fuel lines in the right place. I will check the fuel tank but the rear tire is not wet nor is the back of the tank. If it was cracked fuel would be leaking out at least alittle bit right?

Don't mean to offend anyone but my savage has been a pain in the rear ever since I got it. My 4-tec on the other hand has barely needed a tune. Someone help me with my busted Savage!

Thanks everyone.

Sal
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Tagsrover

Did you accidently get some dirt in the feul tank and it is clauging the line from the bottom of the tank to where the hose is on top of the tank? Try using compressed air, and blow it through the fuel line hole and into the tank.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
saifullah21

like zewski said earlier, try to blow through the end of the exhaust tube. this happened to me with my hyper 8 port. tried plugging the exhaust and turning over the flywheel and nothing happened. Kept trying, but no fuel moved through the lines. i don't know why but when i tilted the buggy to the rear, voila! fuel went right through. I didn't experience any more priming problems for the rest of the run. hope this helps...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:11 PM
fxrs

Remove the pressure line from the exhaust pipe but leave it connected to tank.
next remove fuel line from the carb then blow into the pressure line to see if fuel
comes out of the fuel line.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 PM
mziadeh
My Feedback: (1)

Like ZEWSKI said earlier, check if the head bolts are tight and that your not leaking compression.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:29 PM
blah-blah

If I disconnect one end of each of the fuel lines fuel runs thru the lines it's just when they are both connected that no fuel runs thru them. I don't have compressed air to blow thru the lines but I have blown thru them and could blow fuel thru the line easily with not much effort. Is everyone pretty much thinking it has something to do with my fuel lines?

Here is the situation: The tip of my pipe is totally dry even when I try to prime the engine by covering the tip and running the rotostart. I see small amounts running thru my fuel line connected from my carb to the fuel tank but not a steady stream and definitely not enough to start the engine. When I push the rotostart it turns the flywheel but not the clutchbell. I have a brand new glow plug in the engine right now. The temp outside is about 40F but in my garage where I am messing with it its about 55F(if that might have anything to do with it). The battery to my glow plug charger and my rotostart are losing power alot quicker than they usually do (probably because I am using them alot more trying to get this stupid thing running).

As far as the sounds it's making it sounds just like it normally does when it is being cranked with no odd sounds; however, every once in awhile I get a few spurts where it seems like it might crank but doesn't. (possibly from the little bit of fuel in the lines making into the engine). One thing I have noticed is my carb seems to be very stiff. When I push the throttle and brake it works fine (opens and closes) but when I tighten or loosen the idle screw the carb does not move at all. I have to hit the throttle or brake to see a change in the carb position. Could this have anything to do with it???

Anybody in the Omaha area? This is pissing me off to the point I might have someone else look at it.

Thanks everyone.

Sal
Old 02-17-2005, 10:31 PM
blah-blah

How do I check if I am losing compression???
Old 02-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Roadhog2K4

how about a pic.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:08 AM
saifullah21

ORIGINAL: blah-blah

If I disconnect one end of each of the fuel lines fuel runs thru the lines it's just when they are both connected that no fuel runs thru them. I don't have compressed air to blow thru the lines but I have blown thru them and could blow fuel thru the line easily with not much effort. Is everyone pretty much thinking it has something to do with my fuel lines?
you said you could blow fuel through the line easily. well, that's how you prime the engine. if nothing else works, this is it.

make sure when you cover the exhaust that your finger is on there TIGHT . you should feel a bit of suction on your finger when you use your roto start. keep trying, man. it'll work.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:12 AM
cardriverx

maby it has somethin to do with your carb or have u checked the tank to make shure there is nothin on the bottom of it that would clog it?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
mziadeh
My Feedback: (1)

You might have plugged your carb somehow. Start with removing the HSN and the fuel nipple and go from there.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:30 PM
bashking

I agree it sounds like the carb is clogged up. You have proven that there is noting wrong with your fuel lines or tank because yopu can get fuel through when you blow through it. So its somthing after the fuel lines that is stopping the engine from starting. If the motor is cranking then that rules anything to do with the piston out so you are left with two things to check. Make sure thet the carb isnt jammed. try opening the LSN right out and see what happens, or the exhaust has got a blockage. Take the exhaust off and make sure you cant feel any resistance when you blow through it.
Hoope that helps
Old 02-18-2005, 06:24 PM
fxrs

Did you remove the exhaust at anytime before this ? If so when you replaced it
maybe rubber gasket ripped or fell off and now you have exhaust leak which
will cause a loss of pressure from pipe to tank! This gasket is on engine block
where header mounts.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:58 PM
ed260z

I can't say I've ever had that problem. It seems like the only possiable problem is that there is something wrong with your carb. Now I know this might hurt a bit, but if all else fails ask someone with more experience to look at it. My be someone at your LHS. I know I'm always will to lend a hand to someone. [8D]