Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

roto help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Smokin240sx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roto help

ok here's the story i just got my savage fixed and it was working fine for two days then when i went to start it up today the roto start turns but the engine doesn't.Iv'e had problems with my savage ever since i got and im starting to think it's just one big rip-off![:@]
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Super Sooch

Default RE: roto help

You're one way bearing is out. It will cost you about $8 to fix it. Buy the OFNA one and not hte original HPI. It's cheaper and is the same part. Your Savage is not a Rip Off but you really need to understand what you are getting into when you get into this hobby. You will always break your rig unless you have a trailer queen that you put on the mantle. If you don't like to work on your truck you should probably get rid of it now because you will always have something to fix. Patience is the key dude!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Smokin240sx

thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

You may also just need to take apart the roto start and remove the one way and clean it and the shaft up. Oil and gunk might have just gotten on it causing it to slip, or in the other case its cracked or broke.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

With all I have heard about the Roto starter I am glade my 4.6 comes with a pull starter. I have had very little problem with them on my other trucks and makes it where you have one less thing to have to lug around. Kind of looks like HPI is trying to get away from them? Time will tell?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 PM
stncld69
My Feedback: (2)

well ive had nothing but bad luck with pullstarts..im so tired of rebuilding the damn thing for my xtm 24.7..ive decided to go with the roto start back plate and shaft but use my cordless drill..ive been told the roto start has too much torque and too fast.not sure if everyone agrees..has anyone used a cordless and if so how fast did it spin..mine is a 18volt with adjustable clutch and 1300rpm
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Stablock

I don't see what the big deal is about. I've had my rotostart for over a year now and I have not run into any of the problems people have described. A few short blip's and the motor comes to life. I think it's biggest problem is the people who use them. Not the equipment. People pushing the button too hard and jamming it. Ya know, pushing it harder does not make it go faster. Anyways......
Old 03-15-2005, 01:28 AM
brokenstuff

replaced a one way and not a problem since

user error

crack ur glow plug everytime u have a cold start and u wont have a problem
Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 AM
ba_savage

I have 2 roto starts since my son and I both have Savages. I have had problems with both of them. Called HPI yesterday. With no questions asked, they did agree that there was a problem with the motors. They shipped two motors w/ switches included to me. While I had them on the phone I asked them about the one way bearing. I have replaced 2 on one truck and one on the other truck. They broke for no apparent reason. Then again, HPI said they will ship me a few one way bearings. I do agree that the one way bearings do fail if you build up too much compression most likely from being flooded but I would rather the bearing break than something in the motor.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
hogie9ll

i have tha anser i bought a matel one way gear and the gear wasnt catching it was oil on the shaft,coming from the exost pipe, make sure the exost is tight!!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:05 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

With all I have read about this starter I am so glade all 4 of my nitro vechicals have pull starters as I have never had a problem with them and just one less thing to have to lug around!!