Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help me tune my savage .21!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:22 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me tune my savage .21!!!!

I tried for an hour today to tune my savage .21 with little luck. I followed what the manual says to do, but it's not working for me. Firstly, I tried all the needles at the factory default. I made sure the mid range was at 3.25 turns from fully closed, and that the low speed and high speed were at 2.5 turns from closed. I richening the high speed and low speed from there. Now when I hammer the throttle, it accelerates good for a second, then starts to sputter. If I let off it a bit and speed up more gradually then go full throttle again at a fairly high speed, it starts to sputter again or die. But it seems as though when I richen it or lean it, the problem does not go away, and the setting of one needle seems to affect the performance of another needle's setting. If I don't go full throttle, it runs and drives fine. Can you please give me your experiences or tips on tuning this carb? Where do these needles usually like to be? Oh, and I'm running 20% nitro.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:52 PM
SaVaGePiMp

Default RE: Help me tune my savage .21!!!!

have you checked for air leaks? try sealing your carb and backplate and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

Seal it with what?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 PM
SaVaGePiMp

Permatex sicone sealant

heres a link to what you can use

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=search
Old 04-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Philster

Probably should verify that the tank and all fuel and pressure tubing are in working order as a first step.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a good link to sealing your engine:
http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

Once sealed, try the following:

Settings that I always start with are: LSN flush, MSN flush, & HSN - 4 turns out. Start by tuning your HSN (On the stack where the fuel line goes in) for top end. You want max RPM and can usually hear the difference. Also, make sure that your temperature is on target (225-275 degrees F) when fully warmed up. You always want to tune the HSN first as it affects all fuel going into the engine. Once you have max RPM, then adjust the LSN (On the end of the carb slide) for proper idle and off the line response.

Once you have the LSN set, you can play with the MSN. In order to affect transition, turn the MSN and LSN equally. For example: If you back out the MSN 1 turn, turn the LSN in 1 turn (to keep the same space)...if you turn the MSN in 1/2 turn, back the LSN out 1/2 turn., etc.