Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

0.26 Picco stripped clutch bell whilst running in - what to use now?

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

0.26 Picco stripped clutch bell whilst running in - what to use now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 07:13 AM
brendan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0.26 Picco stripped clutch bell whilst running in - what to use now?

I fitted a Picco 0.26 to ur Savage with a metal spur gear. I started running the engine in yesterday but after a tank and a half of fuel the clutch bell lost all its teeth

When I was buying the spur gear and uprated diff internals my local modelshop told me the original bell was heavy duty and would be fine. Obviously its not, can I get a stronger one from anywhere?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Neil.25ss

Default RE: 0.26 Picco stripped clutch bell whilst running in - what to use now?

your LHS are mutants then for telling you the clutch bell is ok...

You can buy a combo kit with metal spur and a suited clutch bell to go with it.

Or you can use a Delrin spur gear which is alot tuffer the stock but is still plastic.......they call it plastic metal! not sure how a normal clutch bell will react with it, im sure someone else can tell you.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:47 AM
brendan

Default RE: 0.26 Picco stripped clutch bell whilst running in - what to use now?

Thats Modelsport for you, theyve given me lots of bullsh1t advice and messed up my orders a number of times. I should set up in competition

Ive just fitted the 19 tooth spur that came with the SS kit and the metal spur has chewed it to bits after less than half a tank. Its still go teeth but wont have for much longer, the engine is covered in metal filings.

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-05-2005, 12:31 PM
NobleOutlaw

If you run a steel spur (like from Robinson Racing) you need to run a steel clutch bell as well.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:22 PM
brendan

Where can you get the uprated bells from, I cant find them anywhere.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:31 PM
NobleOutlaw

I got mine at www.towerhobbies.com it came as part of a set. Clutch bell and spur gear.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:49 PM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

You have 2 choices.

1. Get the R.R.P. Clutch bell to go with that steal spur gear and still continue to have problems or

2. Go back to using the stock spur gear, if I were you that is what I would do. I have the picco .26 engine in my Savage, and I'm still using the stock spur gear.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Ahhh, don't forget choice 3; the one with the most options:

Get the Ofna shim kit. It comes with hardware extensions and shims to adapt tons of different bells to tons of different configurations. For 5 bucks it gives you lots of important odds and ends. One of the most important is flexibility: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNT03&P=7

There are a number of different hardened 1/8 scale CBs with the proper spline. Ofna's 1/8 scale buggies comes standard with a hardened spur on the center diff. For 18 bucks, you can get a hardened bell in 13t, 15t, 16t, 17t, and 18t for 18 bucks with bearings. You need that shim kit to fit these, and the ablility to mix and match shims/spacers to arrive at the proper setup. I know they'll work, I've run the 18T with the RR spur. I got the spur second-hand and RR only makes 2 different bells specifically for their two different spurs, and the biggest is just 16T. Here are the Ofna bells:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 AM
brendan

Excellent guys, thanks. Ive just been on the phone to the LHS and they are saying there is an uprated bell thats better suited to the metal spur than the opriginal but they say it will still get chewed up.

Ill buy one and run it with an original spur to start with and see how that goes
Old 06-06-2005, 06:02 AM
:Green:

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Ahhh, don't forget choice 3; the one with the most options:

Get the Ofna shim kit. It comes with hardware extensions and shims to adapt tons of different bells to tons of different configurations. For 5 bucks it gives you lots of important odds and ends. One of the most important is flexibility: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNT03&P=7

There are a number of different hardened 1/8 scale CBs with the proper spline. Ofna's 1/8 scale buggies comes standard with a hardened spur on the center diff. For 18 bucks, you can get a hardened bell in 13t, 15t, 16t, 17t, and 18t for 18 bucks with bearings. You need that shim kit to fit these, and the ablility to mix and match shims/spacers to arrive at the proper setup. I know they'll work, I've run the 18T with the RR spur. I got the spur second-hand and RR only makes 2 different bells specifically for their two different spurs, and the biggest is just 16T. Here are the Ofna bells:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Very Solid....[8D][sm=thumbup.gif]

brendan, I wouldnt listen to your LHS if I were you. sounds like they dont know duke from shineola....
or AJ the fortune teller.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
ratpower396

your hooby shop is clueless it sounds.The robinson spur needs the hardened bell to last i have it on my savage & it looks like new.the stock bell wont last 2 tanks if your lucky..Duratrax makes hardened bells that are a little cheaper than ofnas but they dont come with bearings..
Old 06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
brendan

Ive picked up an aftermarket uprated bell. Apparently theyve sold a number of these to run with the steel spur with no comebacks. We will see. Ive got to run the steel spur with the new bell as I threw the original plastic spur away complete with bush so I cant refit the original spurs without another trip to the LHS.

Ive upgraded the front and rear diff but havent done the g/box because the LHS say its not going to be a problem. Are they correct? I was kind of hoping it would be weak as that would give me the perfect excuse to go for the 3 speed tranny! LOL

Ive also noticed that the hubs that the driveshafts sit in are getting damaged at the diff end. Can I get uprated ones? Its an SS so its already got the stronger driveshafts.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
brendan

Ive found some uprated joints for the driveshafts to fit into the diffs and some cv driveshafts to sort the wheel end

The bell is a Fastrax. Its vented like the Ofna so maybe its same part rebranded.

Is anything else going to caus eproblems? I dont mind spedning the money to make the car reliable but I dont want to upgrade and add weight unless it necessary.