Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Priming my .25 savage3

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priming my .25 savage3

I can't get any fuel into my motor. I put fuel into the tank but it won't go into the motor. I put my finger over the exhaust and cranked the roto start. The fuel doesn't move. HELP!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Priming my .25 savage3

sounds like an air leak. be sure the top of the tank is closed and the line is on good. If both of those are fine, you might have a hole in the tank somewhere. empty the tank and put it under water to look for bubbles.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:57 PM

Hi

Plug up the exhaust, then open up the throttle all the way, and then turn over the engine a couple of times with out using the glow starter. This is how I prime my engine before I start it.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:40 PM

Try checking your low speed needle adjustment. If its closed too much the gas wont flow. Try blowing thru the line that goes to the pipe, if the fuel doesnt flow to the carb, the low speed adjustment could be off. Mine is set just about flush with the head of the adjustment/ and the carb.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I got it going. Sort of. Think I need a new glow plug. I had that one in for a while.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM

Now the roto-start only spins. Doesn't crank the engine. Do I need a new enging or a new rotostart?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 PM

You might have broken the one way bearing within the roto start assy on the back of the engine or you broke one of the gears within the handheld unit.

To prime the engine all you do is this: plug the exhaust outlet with your finger or a rag and spin the engine over a few times without a glow ignitor attached. Watch the fuel line going to the carb during this time and you'll see the fuel fill up the line.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:01 PM

It's gotta be the one way bearing. I attached the rotostart rod to my cordless dewalt and it still didn't turn over. Can I purchase one separately or do I have to buy a new engine?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:07 PM

The bearing may just need to be cleaned, I know in my NEST I have to clean the one way bearing every 5 or so runs. It gets dirty and starts slipping. May or may not be the same way with the savage, I am waiting for my roto to come in the mail.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: 20blks

It's gotta be the one way bearing. I attached the rotostart rod to my cordless dewalt and it still didn't turn over. Can I purchase one separately or do I have to buy a new engine?
The bearing is probably only a few bucks, so if you are going to pull the engine to remove the rotostart, you might as well put a new bearing in and be done with it the first time.

The cordless drill idea is brilliant! I'm on my 2nd rotostart hand unit in about a month now....these things are junk. I guess they can't hold up to alot of use, at least in my case. I'll start using my drill from now on....I know that's not going to break.