Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

found out problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
hpisavage28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found out problem

i was running my truck yesterday and it was normal for 2 minutes. then the rear wheels didnt want to move all of a sudden. when i pegged the gas, my stock tires got really big and i wasnt even going fast. so i picked up my truck and hit the gas and found out the front wheels were moving, not the rear ones
Old 06-06-2005, 10:31 AM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: found out problem

you could of lost a drive shaft or the pins that hold then in
Old 06-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

I was going to ask if there was a question here.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
savageman90

yah... lol
Old 06-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Stablock

Chances are likely you blew your rear end. Common problem for stock rear ends. Replace it with the 4 spider gear upgrade and you should not have further problems.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
imdjenk

or you stripped your wheels.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 PM
hpisavage28

the hub inside the wheel would be rounded if the wheel was stripped right. i just installed the 4 extra gears. this is a dumb question. can someone show me a pic of the driveshafts
Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
hpisavage28

where are the pins too
Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 PM
hpisavage28

wheels arent stripped, but my driveshaft is really loose. when i turn the rear driveshaft, the rear wheels turn. how do i check if my gears in my diff arent touching.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:03 PM
hpisavage28

srry i keep reposting, have more questions. when i roll my truck when the truck is off but the radio is. the truck rolls with no problem. when i take it outside is the prolblem. someone please help. if its my diff gears, i have to go to sonme far hobby shop to get it fixed cuz they added my rear diffs for me.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Stablock

OK....one thing at a time.

First, I assume your hub's are not stripped as you mentioned. Second, you found your driveshafts and they are both there. Good. And yes, it is suppose to be loose. Thats fine. You also mentioned it turns the rear wheels. Good. You also mention the problem is not inside, only outside. ? A little confusing but I'm guessing you mean the there doesn't seem to be a problem when the truck is not running and you are pushing the truck around (inside the house). Although, the problem is only when you start the truck and drive it (outside). OK. Hopefully we are on the same page. Lastly, you asked where are the pins. ??????? Don't know what you mean there.

Your next step is to check your rear differential. Do this by holding both front wheels and one of the rear wheels and turn the other rear wheel. When you do this, it should try to turn the other three wheels. The harder you do it, the harder it will try to turn the other wheels. If you do this and you hear and feel some crunching sounds and/or you are able to turn the free wheel without turning the other three wheels, then your differential is toast.

Now, earlier you said you just installed the 4 extra gears (or spider gears), then you later said your LHS did it. I'm guessing your LHS did it. The reason why I ask is because if they did it and your diffs are gone, take it back to them. There is no reason why they stripped out with the spider gear mod. Either they didn't do it or they didn't do it right. Hard to believe but it can happen. Hold them accountable. My next question is did they do it for you because you were having a problem before or did they do it because you wanted the upgrade before having a problem? I ask this because if you had a problem and they used the old diff cup, then it is possible the old worn diff cup caused the spider gears to strip. Again, its hard to believe your LHS would use the old diff cup if it looked like it would cause a problem but who knows. You didn't cheap out and tell them you didn't want to buy a new diff cup did you?

Check your diff and let me know ow you make out.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 AM
ETRNL

i had the exact same problem and after stding for hours i found the problem, i had slung a wristpin. its quite possible when u think bout how fast the sahts are spinning. so see if thats it..
hope i helped...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72446.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	281531  
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Coogeebay

Just about to suggest that ETRNL, mine come out twice in 1 month of getting it (front wheel drive savage's suck) touch wood, it's holding now
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 AM
savageman90

yah, that is the samething that was wrong with mine.... took me forever to find what was wrong
Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
hpisavage28

its my diffs for sure cuz if i hold the front and one rear tire and spin the other, the other rear tire dosent move like what stable said. whn i move my left rear tire forward, the other rear tire sits in place meaning theyre put in reversed