Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage SS4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:37 PM
bgw_savage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage SS4.6

I am new to Nitro engines. (I had a Clod Buster back in the day) Anyway, I have broken in the SS4.6 engine, but I am having trouble getting it tuned. Anyone know about how many turns of the high speed needle screw it will take? I have turned it a 1/2 turn so far over tank fills #5 & #6. I notice when the gas tank nears empty the engine leans out and I get a huge boost in power.

Also I think my slipper clutch is too loose. The truck runs fine on pavement, but bogs down in grass. How thight should the nut be that compresses the spring?

Suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:36 PM
thunderw0lf

Default RE: Savage SS4.6

Took me about 2 -2 1/2 turns leaner on the HSN to start getting decent performance. Also, you will need to lean the LSN some too before you can really get the HSN tuned good, it's just way too rich, but mine only took about 1/4 turn leaner to get half way decent take off. Just take your time and only lean it out no more than about 1/16 to 1/8th turn at a time. And the reason the power jumps like it does near the end is that it leans out quick at the end.

As for the slipper, mine is only about 1/4 turn back from fully tight, any looser and it melts the center.

Also, if your using the stock plastic clutch shoes, it could be those that are slipping, especailly in grass. A good set of aluminum shoes will make a big difference and also saves melting spur gear teeth.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:41 AM
bgw_savage

I will continue to tweak the HSN and keep in mind I may need a slight LSN tweak. I will have to look into getting the aluminum clutch shoes too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
redbarton

I'm having the exact same issues. My next purchase was going to be clutch shoes. I can get wheelies on pavement, but it bogs down in sand and deep grass. The K4.6 engines seems a little finicky, but the shoes should help a lot.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 AM
gerwen

If you've got the money, the sliding clutch setups come highly recommended. My lhs guy has a fironi(sp?) one and he's really pleased with it. (Very knowledgeable lhs guy btw) He said after two gallons it's only showing a little wear.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

I notice when the gas tank nears empty the engine leans out and I get a huge boost in power.
here check out this link..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2891045/tm.htm
Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
ntloser

That problem happens with the ofna tank too. I have the ofna tank and when the tank is on the last few drops the power will become crazy huge right before it completely runs out of gas.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

yea.. well all nitro models lean out at the last few drops, but not 1/4 to a 1/2 a tank from empty.. My 4.6 suffers from half tank leaning issue's.. I just installed the ofna tank tonight.. I will see if it solved my problem tomorrow
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
hansdava

i have the same problem with my ss 4.6. it dies on grass and no wheelies at all. and also it has burned 2 spur gears already........
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Crazy Canuck

Hey all,

Not sure if this helps at all but according to HPI you are supposed to tune the engine after 1/2 the tank is gone to compensate for the fact that it leans way out the closer to empty you get. Again, not sure if it helps but my buddy tuned his SS this way and there aren't any probs with it at all. I'm gonna tune my engine that way see if it works for me as well.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2005, 07:53 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: Crazy Canuck

Hey all,

Not sure if this helps at all but according to HPI you are supposed to tune the engine after 1/2 the tank is gone to compensate for the fact that it leans way out the closer to empty you get. Again, not sure if it helps but my buddy tuned his SS this way and there aren't any probs with it at all. I'm gonna tune my engine that way see if it works for me as well.

Cheers
That's a band-aid on a problem they really should address by replacing the tank with one that doesn't go lean.
"Stop the race, i have to adjust my mixture for my lean half of the tank"

Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Crazy Canuck

Hey all,

Cheers
...and so what then..... you're supposed to run the first half of the tank slobberingly rich and slow? It will have to be that way to keep from over-leaning at the end of the tank. Just buy the New Era tank and mount already....
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
sharkRSV

hey guys

i've melted my 7th spur gear,one on the inner bit couse the sliper clutch was to loose and the others gears are off,what can be the prb? can it be that every time i flip and the angine gets a impact,it moves and eats it,is that a posibility?
i've had the savage now for a bit over a month,ind only had it out properly once,because every time i eat a spur gear. im also strugeling to get my carb set up right,it was running okey but then a mate's mate of mine tamperd with it and it was bugerd,i've cinda got it right again but ran out of spair spur gears befor i could test it properly.

when it runs it goes great but i cant keep the front wheels on the ground it wheelies like crasy!!!

a nother problem is i have jet to find second gear,can you hear it kicking in or how do you know when its set right???
do you get metal spur gears for the savage?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:07 PM
:Green:

you should be able to tell when it shifts into second. if its not shifting soon enough turn the bottom set screw in the side of the trsns counter clock 1/8 turns.

you wont need metal spurs if you get aluminum clutch shoes.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
sharkRSV

thanks mate.

tell me whats the price range on a aluminuim clucth?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:47 PM
1Nightrider1

whut extra parts do u need to finish the savage ss 4.6 kit? really interested. pm me.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM
spareanychange

radio, thats it, but im getting the 3 spd gearbox with mine, and im really thinking about the new venom heat + safe check thingey! it looks amazing. here, http://www.venom-racing.com/ click on the venom smart temp. very very good i be wreckonin, if n e one has one, gimme some feedback looks ace, 2 birds with 1 stone!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: spareanychange

radio, thats it, but im getting the 3 spd gearbox with mine, and im really thinking about the new venom heat + safe check thingey! it looks amazing. here, http://www.venom-racing.com/ click on the venom smart temp. very very good i be wreckonin, if n e one has one, gimme some feedback looks ace, 2 birds with 1 stone!
I like the Venom fail safe with the built in temp gauge, but I finally gave up on it. I had a problem with the cable that goes around the head getting bared wires and shorting out. After 2 new cables, I pulled it out and put the standard failsafe back in.

But I did like it when it was working and it was consistent, just not accurate. Mine measured 15 to 20 degrees hotter than my temp gauge.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:21 PM
azzman

Havent had any probs with mine and yea it does read hotter than the temp guage...