Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

aluminum shoes

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Robsimprza00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum shoes

A long time after a i bought my savage ss approximately 7 months 3 gallons of fuel I noticed that it stopped doing wheelies, not only that but it just bogs down when placed up to a small log, and only produces alot of blue smnoke. I ran down to the hobby store purchased a set of aluminum shoes the light weight shoes, and a pack of clutch pads for rthe spur gear, i replaced all of those with the the new parts and now when i start it up, i have to bring it up to almost full revv for it to start moving, IT HAS ALOT MORE TORQUE NOW! but here is the problem it doesnt get into second gear anymore, i adjusted the transmission so it shifts earlier but that did nothing could there be somehing wrong with the transmission.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: aluminum shoes

Sounds like it's just running too rich.... put the tranny back where it was; trust me, tune it up crisp. Make sure your slipper isn't too loose either.... no more than 1/8th turn out from tight. I run mine tight myself.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Robsimprza00

I dont think there is problem witht the tuning right now with these shoes it does produce a little too much smoke but when i had the shoes in the shifts were perfect I cant figure out why it doesnt shift just because the shoes are aluminum
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Buzzbait

Perhaps you didn't tighten down the slipper enough when you changed the pads?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Neil.25ss

did they come with grub screws????? if so and your using harder springs you will definatly need to istall the grubs, else the shoes arent heavy enough. I had that problem on mine slipping like hell and wouldnt shift! once i installed the grub screws it was rippin.

But if they didnt come with grub screws then im not really sure. Maybe the clutch springs are to stiff for the shoes. Check the wear on your slipper too or just tighten it all the way and see if it improves

Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Let's take things one at a time, what shoes did you buy (brand)? What clutch springs are you using (Diameter - .9mm, 1.0mm, 1.1mm, etc.)?

Like Frost said, tuning makes a HUGE difference in acceleration and peak rpm. If the shoes are engaging and not slipping, then tuning is your reason for not getting 2nd gear (Unless something is binding...like your brakes!).

I can run my Mach rich enough (HSN) that it won't move more than 5mph on grass. Lean it out some and it screams away with rampant wheelies.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Robsimprza00

HOLD ON, I figured it out, i bought the shoes they came with gold springs apparenttly there were suppose to be 2 pairs in the bag, there was only 1, i went down to hs and picked up springs Installed them and now works great, now problem with tuning, I read the tuning thing for tuning 101, i tuned it so it does a little whellie its running a 275 degrees and does wheelies but sometimes it seems to bog down, also when i left the car off the ground the idle is screwed up so it has the wheels spi nnign
Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Robsimprza00

i dont know if this will have anything to do witht the wheelie part but the shocks are filled with the liquid but the read end sags quite a bit, you know when you are at the track and you watch the cars when they launch, they squat, its the same but looks worse on the savage