Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

differential warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Robsimprza00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential warranty?

im on my second set of differential gears for the savage ss. I purchased the first set about 1 month ago because the stock bevel gears were stripped. to replace those i purchased the four bevel gear upgrade set. After installing that i also put in a set of light weight aluminum clutch pads. those are the best! Yesterday we had a party and we used the savage for about 3 hours total, never had a issue until io got home. my friend wanted to drive it so we let him, as he was driving he tried to do a donut, but i saw the car was squatting and the front wheels were getting thinger and larger in diameter, just like if you lift the car off the ground. We parked it and lifted it up, saw that both axles were spinning except the rear differrnetial was grinding something, day after i opened it up and saw the gear was missing a tooth, i guess that since i installed shoes, would that gice it more torque towards the differnetials? this is the second time the gear has been stripped both withing 1-2 months, do you have a warranty on these hpi parts? also my truck squats alot when i hit the throttle, the shocks basically bottoms out and the truck does no wheelies, what can i do to stiffen them up, upgrade to new product, stretch springs? (just an idea)
[email protected]
Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Neil.25ss

Default RE: differential warranty?

you wont get warranty on diffs mate!

when you replaced the spider gear's...you should replace the diff cup at the same time, if there were signs of wear.

The truck will Squat when accelerating (thats called suspention)

To stiffen your shocks.....get some 30-35w shock oil, that will reduce the speed in which the truck squats and will help you towards wheelies. Iv got the prple springs and 35w oil and i got no problems with it.

You must be doing something very wrong to kill the 4 gear spider mod in a month or so.......must have something to do with the way you land your truck.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Stablock

When you replaced the gears, did you replace the diff cup too because the slots that the cross pins slide into tend to take a beating when the gears strip out. I noticed this on mine when I (like everyone else) stripped my stock rear diff for the first time. I inspected the diff cup very closely and seen that the slot was worn badly. I didn't want to reuse that diff cup because I thought the cross pin would slop around too much and cause the gears to misalign which would increase the probability to strip out again. So I got the aluminum diff cup along with the 4 gear mod (for the front and rear) and never had an issue since.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Stablock

as far as the suspension, do you have the spacers (#85050 6) in the spring? Thats an easy way to stiffen up the shocks.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in.../S25ss_P32.jpg
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Robsimprza00

i replaced the diff enclosure thing on both the front and back whats weird is that the rear diff strip[s the gears but the front is in perfect condition. i know what suspension is, except that when i step on the gas from a dead stop, the truck does no wheelie just squats botttoming out the shocks, ill try the 30 weight oil for the shocks good idea.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Robsimprza00

i didnt mention this, its not the four spider gears but one of the gears that hold the spider gears on track
Old 07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: Robsimprza00

i didnt mention this, its not the four spider gears but one of the gears that hold the spider gears on track
Was that one of the gears you replace? And is it only missing one tooth?

Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Robsimprza00

i bought the entire 4 bevel gear set upgrade again, the bigger gear in that set is the one that was stripped, instead of oredering 1 geaer and risk stripping the new gear because of bad small gears i purchased all new gears, as well as the differential cup
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
R/C OVERLOAD

you can get three raceing aluminum diff cups on the ebay !!!!!!!!!!!! 15 $$$$$$$$ 5 s+h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that will stop the melting when diff shaft spinns in the diff cup!!!!!!!!!! plastic melts!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah go ahead and stretch those springs !!!!!!!!! Do it in half inch increments and you can make the rear a little or a lot stiffer but once the springs are over stretched they cant be recompressed very easily but who would do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of this makes things a little better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D][8D][8D][8D]