Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HARDCORE piston sleeve removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Robsimprza00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARDCORE piston sleeve removal

alright i looked up piston and sleeve removal, i got to a bunch of great forums where they say to use zip ties and wooden dowels and crap like that, THAT WONT WORK! the zip ties worked for getting out about 1/8 inch and now it cuts through everything i place between the piston and hole of the sleeve. i dont want to try and heat it up cause i WILL burn myself, i am very prone to accidents witht this truck any other suggestions?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HARDCORE piston sleeve removal

If you are removing it for replacement, and have it partially out already just grab it with a pair of pliers, channel locks, or vice grips. DO NOT use any of these items if you plan on reusing the sleeve though.

Personally I have always been able to get mine out with a chopstick from the local chinese restaurant, and if it a really tight sleeve I will just heat it with a hair dryer. You shouldn't burn yourself if you are just using a hair dryer, and if your that worried about it just use oven mits or wrap the whole block in a rag once its hot.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Robsimprza00

i got it off and man is it ****ed up. the piston wont go to the top gets stuck in the mid. Is it suppose to be able to reach the top?
I beat the **** out of it with wooden dowel and hammer, off to the hobby store for a new piston and sleeve.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Stablock

http://www.hpiracing.com/walkthroughs/engrebuild2.htm
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Robsimprza00

those instructions only apply to cars that can be easily taken apart mine is all screwed up but anyways i did it that way, with alot off anger and muscle. tools required alan wrenches, screwdrivers, wooden dowels, hammer, chissel, lighter and WD40.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 PM
b@5her

ORIGINAL: Robsimprza00

i got it off and man is it ****ed up. the piston wont go to the top gets stuck in the mid. Is it suppose to be able to reach the top?
I beat the **** out of it with wooden dowel and hammer, off to the hobby store for a new piston and sleeve.
If the piston goes all the way to the top of the sleeve with little effort then the p/s are worn , halfway down the sleeve does seem a little bot odd though.