Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SH Tuning !*#%@

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH Tuning !*#%@

Okay I thought my engine was good to go, but the d*** thing, if I lean (HSN)it out too much it won't run third gear but will take off like a bat out of he**. If I richen(HSN) it up it will hit third just fine but bogs and sputters on take off, what to do, what to do? Any tips I can try??[&:] Current settings are 1/2T out LSN and 4 1/2T out HSN bogs and sputters. 4 1/4T HSN and 1/2T LSN will not hit top speed.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:28 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SH Tuning !*#%@

Looking at your current settings, it looks like your LSN is too lean and your HSN is too rich. Make sure you wait to do any tuning until the engine is up to full temp. I also make sure the tank is full when I start tuning-tuning on a half empty or nearly empty tank is worthless. HSN needle is for top end. LSN is for take off/part throttle. Adjust the HSN first, tuning for the best wide open throttle performance. I start out with the HSN out 3 turns from closed. Don't touch the LSN needle until the HSN is adjusted to where you like the top end performance. Then you can adjust the LSN for best take off after idling for about 5-10seconds. I start out with the LSN 1 turn in from flush, not closed. Resist the urge to turn the needles too much at one time...very little movements are all it takes. If you turn the needles too much, you end up fighting yourself because you either richen it up too much or lean it out too much. When you get that all taken care of, set the idle speed if your engine has a high idle. Relax and go slow and you'll have that truck running right. Watch your tank...don't let it get below half a tank while tuning.

My Savage is a 2spd, but I can't imagine a 3spd needing any special tuning requirements. Right now my HSN is about 3.5 turns out from closed and the LSN is about half a turn in from flush.

Once you get it tuned, you won't have to touch it except for when the weather changes. Even then, you'll only have to move the needles a tiny bit. Slightly richen up both needles when it gets colder and lean both out a little when it gets warmer. Some days you may not even need to touch a thing. Listen to the engine as it will tell you what it needs. Being able to decipher the exhaust sound is the best tuning aid....I've never had to use a temp gauge...I tune by sound.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Bash-m-up

Okay I thought my engine was good to go, but the d*** thing, if I lean (HSN)it out too much it won't run third gear but will take off like a bat out of he**. If I richen(HSN) it up it will hit third just fine but bogs and sputters on take off, what to do, what to do? Any tips I can try??[&:] Current settings are 1/2T out LSN and 4 1/2T out HSN bogs and sputters. 4 1/4T HSN and 1/2T LSN will not hit top speed.
I don't like to give out my carb settings simply because every SH engine is going to behave differently from many variables (specifically ambient air temperatures). Your carb settings are way off compared to mine. Heres my SH settings based upon 60F air temps: HSN 2.9 turns out, and LSN 1.6 turns out. My SH was very fussy to tune until the engine had around 20 Savage tanks of fuel run through it. So keep this in mind if your engine is fairly new. I had inconsistant tuning with the low speed needle, but now it's tunes much better. Try the "pinch" test to establish a close setting with your LSN, this is a great way to get close.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
black mamba

I forgot to mention this-make sure your carb and/or backplate aren't creating a vacuum leak.......VERY common and this problem will make tuning nearly impossible. Spray some carb cleaner by these areas...if the rpms pick up, you're leaking. Some Permatex Ultra Copper RTV around the carb base and around the backplate takes care of it.

Why not give out your tune specs? If they're in the same "weather zone" as you, the settings won't be very far off anyways. At least it'll give someone a better ball park area to start with that isn't pig rich like the factory defaults. Just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Hey thanks, I'll try this all over again starting with factory settings, looks like rain today so it'll be once all has cleared again. Keep you posted and appreciate the advice.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gravedigger
Why not give out your tune specs? If they're in the same "weather zone" as you, the settings won't be very far off anyways. At least it'll give someone a better ball park area to start with that isn't pig rich like the factory defaults. Just my opinion.

....because there are far more variables than just temp... Fuel type is an even bigger one, and the plug type is important too. Then you have to consider the pressurized side of the fuel system. The tuned pipe makes a BIG difference on the exhaust side as well as how much pressure the feed is seeing.

I could proabably list up a few more reasons if you really wanted.

Forget what someone else is running, just tune it, and quit counting turns.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:21 PM
black mamba

Just trying to help the guy.