Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Non slipper spur

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 PM
youie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non slipper spur

I bought this Non slipper hardened spur to use with a hardened clutchbell 47t/18t. I was sick of stripping spurs. Now, reading posts on this forum, i've heard the majority vouch for the fact that Aliminium clutch shoes erradicate the problem. I,ve now bought the Aliminium shoes and have yet to install them. I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me the downsides, if any from using a Non slipper spur. If the reasons are quite serious, then I will stop using it immediately.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Geeza!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Non slipper spur

Hi there, well like most things, it's down to what you feel comfortable with?
I personaly don't like metal spur gears, the stock spur is plastic, so as to act as a weak link, if there's a prob like your engine moving after a bad landing etc, usually the plastic spur will give way, saving your transmision and other more expensive parts.
Provided that your clutch isn't slipping, and your mesh is correct, a plastic stock spur gear will last a long time.
I have three 4.6's all with Mugen allu clutches, and all with stock spur gears, and they are just fine.
Just my opinion, but i really wouldn't be relaxed using a metal spur gear
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Non slipper spur

I think that Geeza! is in the majority as far as opinions about steel gears. Most people seem to agree that you need a 'weak link', so nothing expensive is destroyed.

I can tell you that I have had steel spur gears on my Kyosho Inferno and my FG Monster Beetle (sold [&o]) for months and never had a problem with either. The thing about my two vehicles is that they are both one-speeds, so there is no real transmission to damage...just a differential. But, like I said, I like steel gears and have never had any issues with them before.

My question is how come it is a non-slipper spur? Is it possible to make the steel gear a slipper?