Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage diff shimming help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:30 PM
radioman789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage diff shimming help

hi all i have done this postv before but my replies were of no use ( no disrespect to those who replied )but the links posted where discontinued can any 1 help before i rebuild my truck ready for the summer cheers
Old 12-16-2005, 03:37 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: savage diff shimming help

what do you need to know? how to shim them, or were to get the stuff to shim them?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Crazy-Ivan

What do u need to know? I always shim my diffs and it helps them last longer. I will be upgrading to GPM alloy diff cases to stop the stock plastic cases distorting.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
radioman789

hi all i just need the parts as i know where they go
ps shims from savage central are discontinued hence the new post
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Crazy-Ivan

Shims are available HPI part # Z892 10x12x0.2 & Z877 8x10x0.2, bought some 3 weeks ago from my LHS . You know where they fit but other Savagers may not, so to this is what I do.
To get a closer mesh between the pinion and spur gear fit the 8x10x0.2 shims behind the pinion gear, 2 or 3 will be all that will fit because any more and the input drive cup will not fit on the pinion shaft. If you still need a closer fit put 1 or 2 10x12x0.2 shims on the bevel gear boss before the bearing is fitted. This will give you a far better mesh than the stock set up. I’ve been doing this since the beginning of the summer and it’s given me a lot more reliability, but I’ve still had the bevel gear side bearing fall to pieces and I think that the side of the plastic diff case is being distorted by either the side load or heat or both. This is why I’m trying GPM alloy diff cases.
I club race my Savage nearly every Sunday and I’ve tried to bullet proof as much of the transmission as possible. I’ve fitted Hot Bodies mega travel CVD drive shafts (soon to be upgraded to MIP CVD shafts), HPI CVD drive shafts and heavy duty drive cups and diff shafts, but is still breaks, but as often as it used to.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
ace007

Sorry in advance for asking, but i try the search and it came with 300 pages and i did not find what i was looking for in the first 50.I would like to know how to shim my diff's and if i am correct i think i can get the shims at towers.Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Crazy-Ivan

See my previous post for the instructions and try these links to Tower Hobbies for the shims.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L=++&search=Go
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
ashburg

Anyone have any pictures of how this all goes together?

ORIGINAL: Crazy-Ivan

Shims are available HPI part # Z892 10x12x0.2 & Z877 8x10x0.2, bought some 3 weeks ago from my LHS . You know where they fit but other Savagers may not, so to this is what I do.
To get a closer mesh between the pinion and spur gear fit the 8x10x0.2 shims behind the pinion gear, 2 or 3 will be all that will fit because any more and the input drive cup will not fit on the pinion shaft. If you still need a closer fit put 1 or 2 10x12x0.2 shims on the bevel gear boss before the bearing is fitted. This will give you a far better mesh than the stock set up. I’ve been doing this since the beginning of the summer and it’s given me a lot more reliability, but I’ve still had the bevel gear side bearing fall to pieces and I think that the side of the plastic diff case is being distorted by either the side load or heat or both. This is why I’m trying GPM alloy diff cases.
I club race my Savage nearly every Sunday and I’ve tried to bullet proof as much of the transmission as possible. I’ve fitted Hot Bodies mega travel CVD drive shafts (soon to be upgraded to MIP CVD shafts), HPI CVD drive shafts and heavy duty drive cups and diff shafts, but is still breaks, but as often as it used to.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
CWC

Yes, the bearings in my diff case just went also and that made me lose my ring and pinion and diff case brace because of the flexing when it froze then the drive pins in the drive cups, ssooo wile it's in pieces I better do it right and does anyone make HD ring and pinions?? I want to try the flm diff cups. Does anyone have a link on how to shim.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
ashburg

cwc - pm me and I'll give you my email address and we'll compare notes.

ORIGINAL: CWC

Yes, the bearings in my diff case just went also and that made me lose my ring and pinion and diff case brace because of the flexing when it froze then the drive pins in the drive cups, ssooo wile it's in pieces I better do it right and does anyone make HD ring and pinions?? I want to try the flm diff cups. Does anyone have a link on how to shim.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
CWC

Sorry dude but when I tried to pm you RCU or windowsXP won't let me [&o] and by the way I don't have that many notes any way sorry.