Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Plastic versus Aluminum (Shocks for Savage)

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Plastic versus Aluminum (Shocks for Savage)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:29 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic versus Aluminum (Shocks for Savage)

Went bashing today, and I bent a shock shaft. I'm running the Integy MSR4 shocks for a HPI Savage. Then, I went to think if these shocks are really worth keeping, because I've read that they bend real easily, but that the plastic ones are more durable. I was thinking that if I get a set of plastic shocks, then instead of the shaft bending, I'd break the entire shock. Which would be better, to keep the aluminum ones, or get stock plastic shocks?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
crop

Default RE: Plastic versus Aluminum (Shocks for Savage)

keep your rear metel shocks and replace the front shocks with plastic ones. Most of bent shock shafts occured in the front. Plastics shocks are less likely to bend. This is my own experience though.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:06 PM
ace007

I use to use the same integy shock as well.And my shock's on the rear were alway's the one's to bend just from the torque of my engine.You could go with the plastic one's they are cheaper to fix.Or e-mail integy and they might send a new set of stronger shafts for free that's what they did for me anyways.But while i was waiting for them i decided to go lst and to me that is the best upgrade i did for my shock's.It handles so much better now and i don't need to worry as much about flipping over in turns.Or bending shaft's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73329.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	371274  
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 AM
tmodlin

Plastic
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 AM
XtmSucks

ORIGINAL: ace007

I use to use the same integy shock as well.And my shock's on the rear were alway's the one's to bend just from the torque of my engine.
riiiiiiiiight i'd like to see a vid of that one.

Plastic all the way!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:34 AM
colindecon

plastic, much cheaper to replace
Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 PM
sylum

Hey im sorry if this seem like post hijacking, but ace007 has more then sparked my interest. I was just thinking the other day about posting a question if i could use the shocks from the lst on my savage. Can you? if so what parts would i need? Im not concerned if its expensive to get the same results as my stock shocks or anything. I just think those massive shock look better. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:48 PM
PSG-1

I e-mailed integy as the same thing happened to my shocks and they sent me a full set of brand new hardened shock shafts. They've got great customer service and they fixed me up real nice. Haven't put the new shock shafts in yet as it's quite time consuming to take them apart and then build them again but i'll let you know how the hardened ones work out.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM
ace007

Hi Sylum
The lst's are really worth it.I will never go back to stock shocks.If you really want to do the upgrading here is a couple of links that i was lead to.

This first link carry's the faslane parts for cheap you can click on the speicals tab and get a complete kit to convert over.
http://atomrcproducts.com/savageproducts.html

Also if you want to keep your stock a-arms and stock towers on your truck you can also get a kit from the second link wich it just attaches to the parts that is already on it.
http://www.innovative-rc.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21_24

Either way you will need the bracket in the second link to relocate your tie-rods on the rear wheels.The bracket moves them from behind the wheels to the front of them.Hope this helps you out some.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91105.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	371609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49647.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	371610  
Old 12-17-2005, 06:56 PM
sylum

Thanks much ace, i've been wondering if i could do this mod ever since i got my truck. And in response to the original poster(Ibrakefornobody) I would do this mod. But thats my own opinion, what lst says about the bigger the shock, the more efficient it is makes alot of sense to me. But im no hydraulic engineer either, just makes more sense to me to have 4 big shocks then haveing 8 smaller ones.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM
IBrakeForNobody

Do you know of any place in the USA that sells the parts for the LST shock mod?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:59 AM
ace007

Yeah atomrc is in the states they are in kansas.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
mega1268

i was told if u have to go alum then go with the threaded Hpi ones. And ive also heard use the integy shocks but put the stock rods in them cause they are much stronger. try that out .
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
IBrakeForNobody

Well, the Integy shock shafts are made from aluminum, and the stock ones are steel, so I'd think the steel ones would be stronger because aluminum is softer compared to steel. Thanks for the info. But, the shock shaft bent for a reason. The shock just would not bend by looking at it, so if the shock shaft bent to absorb the impact, would the steel stock shafts break the aluminum shocks or would the steel shock shaft just break?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
popadel

Plastic!
Cheaper (a lot cheaper) t oreplace, more durable and lighter so oits win win all round!

Aly looks nice but thats no fun when it ends up bending - i changed to plastic. all smiles now
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
IBrakeForNobody

Well, it looks like I might give in to the plastics...but, I've been told that the plastic ones tend to crack at the bottom when bashing...is that true? If that is true, I might stay with aluminum seeing as the shock shafts are the same price, but I don't have to buy a new plastic shock body.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 AM
gerwen

Everything i've ever heard points to the plastic stockers being the best shocks for the Savage. If they're not overfilled(no rebound), they won't likely blow caps. Both racing, and bashing hard, with nasty crashes and big air in both, i've never had a problem with my shocks.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:08 PM
:Green:

Same, the stockers are holding up great for me too and do it all...I have bent two shafts, but both were from hitting stuff at wot.
I wouldnt mine having a set of the HPI aluminums though and probably will get some, for the adjustability as well as looks.