Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:48 AM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll bar

did anyone come up with a good rollbar? i know i saw all the links everyone suggested but they all still seemed to fall short in some way or another. i was at the lhs the other day and was looking at the roll cages they had for 180$!!!! i couldnt believe they were just thin wall steel poorly welded together and then to make it worse it doesnt even cover the cooling head on the savage. thats about the dumbest thing i ever saw. then there was those plastic ones you guys either made or bought but were really really ugly.theres the carbon fibre one but thats to easy to break in the cold for me. so, im gettin to point i was standing around at work and happened to have some scrap stainless .060 heavy wall tubing with i think 7/16o.d. well in about 10 mintues i had a perfect roll bar and it looks good also. i did have to cut truck body slightly but to cover cooling head you have to regardless. now that i have a template i will make a pretty refined one. im new to welding stainless tubing with stick so welds were kinda ugly. but the work. so if anyone is interested ill post a pic.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Alexey

Default RE: roll bar

Yes, very interested
Can you post a pic please
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 AM
ace007

Lets see some pics,Please.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:46 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: the dog

did anyone come up with a good rollbar? i know i saw all the links everyone suggested but they all still seemed to fall short in some way or another. i was at the lhs the other day and was looking at the roll cages they had for 180$!!!! i couldnt believe they were just thin wall steel poorly welded together and then to make it worse it doesnt even cover the cooling head on the savage. thats about the dumbest thing i ever saw. then there was those plastic ones you guys either made or bought but were really really ugly.theres the carbon fibre one but thats to easy to break in the cold for me. so, im gettin to point i was standing around at work and happened to have some scrap stainless .060 heavy wall tubing with i think 7/16o.d. well in about 10 mintues i had a perfect roll bar and it looks good also. i did have to cut truck body slightly but to cover cooling head you have to regardless. now that i have a template i will make a pretty refined one. im new to welding stainless tubing with stick so welds were kinda ugly. but the work. so if anyone is interested ill post a pic.

You should TIG those if you have access. Welding stainless is a pain no matter what you use but TIG yields the best looking welds and is more durable.

I am interested, please post some pics.

Tim
Old 12-17-2005, 11:11 PM
the dog

i would have tig but machine wasnt set up and i dont have much experience with a tig machine. i can run wire or a rod no prob but neverreally done much tig. im working on a pic. problems with computer.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:57 AM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: the dog

i would have tig but machine wasnt set up and i dont have much experience with a tig machine. i can run wire or a rod no prob but neverreally done much tig. im working on a pic. problems with computer.
If you have access to a TIG welder you should take advantage of it and practice as much as you can. You will not be dissapointed with the results and will wonder why you waited so long to learn. Get the machine properly set up and you will learn quick. In highschool we had a welding teacher come to class to show a few of us how to TIG and I thought it was very easy to pick up. I ended up teaching my HighSchool welding teacher how to tig after the tech guy left. Practice on some scrap and you will be amazed how easy it is to learn.