Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

oversize tires and snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:44 PM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oversize tires and snow.

i bought a set of hot bodies tires and wheels for my 4.6. the next size up from stock that is. well they are i think to much for the truck in snow. i melted a spur gear sticky pad just running around in about 2 inches of sugar snow. i put stock size back on and put new 49t gear on and most likely will not put big tires back on. it seems like i should be able to run with those big tires but im not really sure how i should gear for them. i obviously should use a small pinion gear to a large tooth spur gear but not sure which setup to use. any ideas?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
CarTireDragbike

Default RE: oversize tires and snow.

With my experiance I would go with a bigger Spur if you can go up 2 or 3 teeth. If you dive the cb into the spur you will get the ratio. On my Jato running paddle in deap sand I went from a 54 to a 58 spur. I so a bigg differance in the way it pulled. How much bigger are the tire you changed to?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM
the dog

ill check, alot.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:08 PM
KiZ

also make sure your spur gear is tight enough, it has to be much tighter than the manual suggests.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 AM
gerwen

Run as low a combo as you can fit (small bell, big spur). Tighten up the slipper. Big tires are pretty tough on the 4.6's clutch. If you go from melting the slipper pad to melting the teeth on the spur, you are putting too much stress on the clutch and overheating the clutchbell. Use some fine sandpaper to clean the inside of the bell and take the glaze off the shoes.

Switching to aluminum shoes will help a lot too.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
the dog

i can only fit a 52 tooth gear so ill run that. so it sounds like if i have to change alot of gearing maybe i shoudnt use those tires.
i should just get rid of.they handled like crap anyway.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
popadel

I run 7 inch tyres on my savage with a 3 speed. I use a 49 / 15 combo had have no probs running on grass, sand what ever.

sliper is 3/4 turn out and i really go to town with this truck...so not sure why your is failing. Maybe the spur / CB combo is more apropriate for road use. Says in the manual that on loos serfaces to go highest ratio posible. Slightly slower, but way more fun and durable.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 AM
living my life

Im running the stock gears on my 4.6 with the aluminum shoes and it has been working great for me. I even put duellies on my rear tires to help with traction and not sinking in the snow. The only bad thing I had happen was the slipper sorta melting (I think it may have been a little loose). The weird part was the pad actually twisted on the gear and I know I put it on right when I did it. Other than that the duellies are AWSOME!!!! I have still had to get it out of the snow when it sunk once or twice but it is going farther than it could before. There is still the added weight on the transmission so watch how tight you set everything.

The aluminum clutch shoes are probably one of the best transmission upgrades and necessary for people with added weight on the truck.

btw does anybody know of any kind of upgraded turnbuckle ends?? The plastic ones started getting quite a bit of slop in them and I lost one today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21473.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	374880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60171.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	374881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44179.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	374882  
Old 12-24-2005, 12:57 AM
the dog

thats funny. maybe ill try later.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Mech747

yo living life is your truck rear wheel drive? if not you could put dualies on the front and gear it like 14/52. i run proline BJs and it all right on 4inch snow
Old 12-24-2005, 03:45 PM
living my life

My truck is still 4wd. I thought about putting duellies on the front but decided not to cause i didnt want to loose to much steering capability. I havent tried it yet so im not sure if thats what will happen but im happy with what it can do now.