Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Three Speed or Reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 10:06 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Speed or Reverse?

Well, I'm debating between a three speed upgrade (I think I'm smart enough to pull apart a tranny and put in the new gears ) or a reverse module. Or, if there is a way to make a reverse mod go forward for like 4 speed forward [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. Yeah, more than three speeds is kinda useless because of the torque and usable RPM of what the engine can produce. How much faster is the three speed than the standard two speed? I've read that you'd only need a reverse mod if you suck at driving...One reason I'm looking at a three speed upgrade is to hear it shift twice . Are there any long term effects that a three speed has on the engine from running with the extra speed? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
MTObsession

Default RE: Three Speed or Reverse?

The 3-speed gives you 10% lower 1st & 10% higher 3rd. It freaking rocks!

Reverse is power robbing. Added weight, module & servo.

Get the 3, you will grin big for days!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
PSG-1

Yeah 3 speed before a reverse module. I have both, well i had both. I used to have a 2 speed tranny with the reverse module and yeah it is really really convenient but it does rob power. I ended up getting a pre-assembled 3 speed so i'd have an extra partial set of gears from my old tranny, but yeah definately get the 3 speed it's a huge difference. I have a mach .26 in my savage and that thing is blazing fast with that 3 speed. I'd say the rc car just runs so much better with it. It just broadens out the gear range and sounds awesome as it's going through the gears.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Michaelthefirst

what would the 3 speed do for a .21 savage? would there be a noticable difference?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
the dog

im sold on the three speed. i didnt know that it gave 1st gear 10%lower range.ive also got the 2 speed it works good but theres always room for improvement.
is it better to uprade whole new tranny or just the needed parts?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:10 PM
SAV46VET

I was having the same trouble trying to decide what to do. Reverse does'nt mean much to me so my dilemma became buying the gut s or the whole thing... Well my stock trans has some time on it< 4 gallons of fuel so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but the kit i believe only contains the needed internals to give it the lower first and higher third. I felt it was a better decision to go with the entire trans. About 35 minutes total time from start to finish.

It's pretty cool so far....

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
tmodlin

Do the three speeds require a lot of tinkering and adjusting with the shift points? I always told myself that I wouldnt buy one because I thought it would be a pain but after all of this talk about them I night have to give it a shot.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
the dog

just ordered 3 speed kit. i also bought 44tooth spur gear. i hope it is right gear.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
DaveG55

I've been thinking about doing the 3 speed upgrad too. It will go in my Savage ss 25. that I've put a Mach.26 in. I've heard good things and may give it a try.
Oh, and there's another reason to have reverse. I've got it not because I'm a bad driver, I am but that's not why I've got it. I've got it because I'm too lazy to walk to the truck. It's a lot easier to flip that switch and do reverse wheelies away from whatever I'm stuck against.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Mattosan

When I built my SS I put the reverse module in the 2 speed. Not sure if I did something wrong but I never once heard that thing shift into 2nd. It is my first truck so probably I did something weird, dunno.
I recently bought a complete 3 speed and just left the reverse module out as the biggest pain in the butt with it is having to have a third servo in that tight fitting radio box.
I used to wrestle with that lid for ages and no matter how careful I was I always crimped the servo wires when I tried to shut it.
Now with it out I save weight and the lid is SOOOO much easier to get on.
The three speed does fly and I can finally hear my truck change gear, TWICE!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 AM
IBrakeForNobody

The three speed does fly and I can finally hear my truck change gear, TWICE!
Yeah, thats one reason why I'm looking at a three speed
Old 12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
popadel

3 speed! changed mine 2 weeks ago and i also now run 7 inch tures which makes the car perform the same as with the standard tyres but with less strain on the tranny.

reverse....im still thinking about it.

PS - had to adjust the second gear three times before i was happy, and that means opening the box up three times = taking the truck apart 3 times. but now im set, and have not had an issue since.

too bad i cant say the same for my titan twin which is minus a transmision MIP or 2. SHould switch to dog bones..but they are too weak.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 PM
boydie1

Both my savages have the three speed in them.
The one with the Collari .32 has reverse, which is kinda fun doing wheelies in reverse but the one with the SH.28 doesn't yet
I agree its a real pain to get the cover on the radio box, with the third servo and with a failsafe stuffed in there as well.
I bought the already assembled tranny's and haven't had to worry about adjusting the shift points.
Choice is yours as to what you get but i like both and like DaveG55 I'm also to lazy to walk if it gets stuck against something.[8D]
Old 12-22-2005, 03:17 AM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: boydie1

Both my savages have the three speed in them.
The one with the Collari .32 has reverse, which is kinda fun doing wheelies in reverse but the one with the SH.28 doesn't yet
I agree its a real pain to get the cover on the radio box, with the third servo and with a failsafe stuffed in there as well.
I bought the already assembled tranny's and haven't had to worry about adjusting the shift points.
Choice is yours as to what you get but i like both and like DaveG55 I'm also to lazy to walk if it gets stuck against something.[8D]
Thanks, I was wondering about the shiftpoints and if they are a pain.

I already have reverse for those lazy moments but most of the time at the BMX track there are a bunch of 10 year old boys watching and more than willing to run to a stranded Savage. In less than 5 seconds after a rollover I usually have 3 boys running to rescue my truck before it stalls. I dont even ask them to, they just do it.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:27 PM
bam.bam

Get and do the 3 spd first. How offen do you go in reverse anyway? Probably 5% and 95% going foward.... hmmmm.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
IBrakeForNobody

Well the reverse module is $15 at my LHS (on sale) so its tempting to go buy it and the three speed is $50 complete tranny.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Kanza

I'd go for the reverse module. The convience of not having to walk after the truck everytime it gets stuck is a godsend. And, you can save your money and pick up the three speed later.

When mounting the reverse module you could use a low profile servo to save room in the radio box. I use the Futaba S9550, but Hitec makes the less expensive HS-77
Old 12-30-2005, 01:40 AM
IBrakeForNobody

The reverse won't add too much weight, like I can still wheelie and stuff, right? Thanks a bunch
Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 AM
amec

I like having reverse, it makes getting out of being stuck easy. I also like my 3 speed. I like the sound of it changing gear a second time. Sure there is a LITTLE more tourque down low and a LITTLE more top speed but there isnt that much. If you do the 3 speed get the assembled one. The shift points are pretty good, and its all done for you.
Can you afford both?
Unless you race who cares if the reverse zaps a little power. Boydie1 and i bash (our trucks) regularly. He has a collari which is clearly a faster engine than my 4.6, but neither of us care.
Its all good
Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 AM
IBrakeForNobody

Yes, I can get both, but I don't want to have a 60 pound truck that goes 2 MPH because of all the added weight. Actually, I think my aluminum shocks add more weight than what a reverse weighs...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:16 AM
amec

60 pound truck? Reverse weighs 100 grams at most, dont know what that is in american speak. I think that the 3rd gear may add a bit of weight to the truck as well. Oh no!!
2mph? I dunno bout that either.
My 4.6 gets along ok, i think just a shade over 3mph anyway.
Perhaps you should sell your savage and buy a tyco mutator, i hear they are amazing....
Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
IBrakeForNobody

ORIGINAL: amec

60 pound truck? Reverse weighs 100 grams at most, dont know what that is in american speak. I think that the 3rd gear may add a bit of weight to the truck as well. Oh no!!
2mph? I dunno bout that either.
My 4.6 gets along ok, i think just a shade over 3mph anyway.
Perhaps you should sell your savage and buy a tyco mutator, i hear they are amazing....
I was being sarcastic, sorry about that. 100 grams would be 3.5 ounces.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Kanza

Always one in every crowd.

The reverse module won't much weight, and you shouldn't notice any change in performance. As for the 3-speed kit, there shouldn't be any weight difference at all. HPI Made the gears thinner in order to cram the third speed into the gearbox.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
irishflyer

I have the three speed LE. I bpought a reverse module along with it but haven't fitted it yet. Is it possible to have the reverse fitted along side with the 3 speed so its all in there??
Cheers
Old 01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Crf250ed

Can i get a link to the 3 speed? Sorry...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.