Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

lst verses savage

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:02 PM
zavzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lst verses savage

hi wot is the best basher the savage or the lst as ive got the savy and have no end of problems with the spur gear.and my mate says the lst is bettor which one would you go with and why.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: lst verses savage

since youve tried the sav already buy the lst so u get to try it..but im pretty sure youll still love ur savage..
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your in a Savage forum, I'm sure most will tell you "Savage".

If you have a Savage and you are running it against your buddies LST, then what do you think?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:08 AM
tmodlin

All of my coments are assuming you are refering to a Stock Savage25 RTR or LE, and a Stock LST.

Stock out of the box the Savage is much more durable but the LST is a lot faster. After adding RPM arms and titanium adjusters the LST gains a lot more durability points but those mods are not cheap. After adding a little more powerful engine to the Savage RTR/LE it gains on the LST in the speed catagory and still has the same, good reliability. The LST comes with a lot better radio/reciever than the Savage but is more money. The LST is also slightly larger than the Savage, not really sure if that is a pro or con. Savage has TVPs and LST has a dual layer deck chassis, again not sure if a pro or con. The LST is much easier to work on than the Savage, probably due to chassis design.

There are pros and cons for either one and in my opinion if the LST has the RPMs and the Savage has a better engine I would rate them the same. But stock out of the box the Savage will be more reliable/durable.

My next truck will probably be an LST because they are an awesome truck but for now the Savage is more than enough for me.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
DaveG55

tmodlin,
The LST2 has (susposedly/hopefully) addressed the A-arm issue along with the diff cases, gear cover, better drivetrain, bigger hubs, better wheel hex/ attachment and some other stuff along with an updated .26 engine. With those upgrades the LST2 "should" be the equal of the Savage in out of the box reliability. Allmost all the reports I've read so far on the LST2 have been extremly positive.
I don't think you can even still get the orig LST unless you find a store w/ old stock or something.
On the cost thing... If you buy a Savage 4.6 and put an equilivent radio in then the prices are nearly the same and you have very similar trucks, power and performance wise, although the Savage is much easier to flip over than the LST(2).
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

tmodlin,
The LST2 has (susposedly/hopefully) addressed the A-arm issue along with the diff cases, gear cover, better drivetrain, bigger hubs, better wheel hex/ attachment and some other stuff along with an updated .26 engine. With those upgrades the LST2 "should" be the equal of the Savage in out of the box reliability. Allmost all the reports I've read so far on the LST2 have been extremly positive.
I don't think you can even still get the orig LST unless you find a store w/ old stock or something.
On the cost thing... If you buy a Savage 4.6 and put an equilivent radio in then the prices are nearly the same and you have very similar trucks, power and performance wise, although the Savage is much easier to flip over than the LST(2).
Yeah, I wasnt sure if the LST2 was out yet. I was comparing the Stock LST to the Savage25 RTR or LE. My buddies LST has sooo much power it flips constantly. I can imagine how easy the SS would flip due to the bigger engine and lighter truck.

I agree 100% with what you said about the LST2 being pretty equal to the Savage SS with a XS3 or better radio, but I still say the LST will be easier to work on.

Either way they are both great trucks, and I will eventually own an LST.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
DaveG55

You're 300% right about ease of working on the LST compared to the Savage. The radio box alone is worth the difference. The engine is easier to get out, the tranny is easier, the suspension is easier, heck, it's all easier.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
crop

why is it a stock LST is so much faster than a stock savage? Despite of the engine factor, is there any reason in tranny or the whole play of the truck? it's impossible for a truck to have both better bottom end and top speed than another if there's nothing wrong with the latter one, isn't it? is it for that the tranny of LST is smoother than a SAVAGE? I noticed that when I push a savage, it doesnot go as far as some other cars such as a revo.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
PillowPants

anymore people should be banned for making vs. threads... just SHUT UP! They always turn into a flame war! Get a damn life!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:06 AM
CR500rider

ummm, this hasnt even had a hint of a flame war even starting. in fact i was just thinking how nice it was that nobody was flaming on this thread
Old 12-23-2005, 02:31 AM
tmodlin

Original post removed
Zavzilla has an honest question about the LST and Savage. People are respectively giving their opinions and nobody is bashing anyone.

Anyways, I see in your sig you have an LST. What do you think of it compared to the Savage? I have given my opinion but since I only own a Savage I am sure other people would value your opinion a little more. I gave my opinion based of a friends truck who I always bash with, I actuall keep my truck at his place because my apartment is small.

So lets hear it, your honest opinion of the two. Not necessarily which is better but pros and cons of each and which one you prefer to bash with or race with.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
DaveG55

Crop,
I don't know which savage you're comparing to the LST. I can tell you for sure that if you're comparing the Savage .21 or .25 with the LST then the difference in speed is 95% engine. I put a Mach.26 in my Savage ss 25 and it feels nearly as fast as the LST (I haven't actually raced them togeather yet). Now, if you're comparing to the new 4.6ss then I would expect that they are very similar in speed but I have yet to see one with the 4.6 run.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:55 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I had a tricked out Savage SS and now a LST1. The Savage is a very tough machine. One of the reasons that the LST is faster with the same engine, even if it weighs just a bit more and is larger is because of the design of the drivetrain. It has a full set of CVD's (6) and the center CVD's have a straight shot to the diffs. Dogbones are less maintance and fewer parts but not nearly as efficent as CVD's.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM
crop

thanks for the reply from 2 stairs up there, I haven't compared them together, just curious because I see a lot of people claiming that the LST is all the way faster than savage. well I think it's the engine that makes major difference.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Mech747

can cvds have that much effect on your ride[X(] like 5% the reason i think the lst seems faster is because it's longer wheelbase width and larger shocks helps keeping all fours on the ground therefor having more consistant traction. the range of the two speed might be larger as well[:-]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:25 AM
jefx

It's some kind of magic what Losi did with the drivetrain in the LST. Somehow they just figured out the perfect configuration of gearing and efficiency.

I have an LST (Mach .26) and a Tmaxx with a Mach .26. Although the engines are identical, the LST is just always faster than the Tmaxx. You'd think that the Tmaxx would be faster since it weighs a couple lbs less, but no matter how I gear the Tmaxx, the LST always beats it.

I've driven my buddies Savage with a Picco .26. It was pretty impressive. Not a bad truck, and fast with that engine. The only thing I didn't care for was the tippyness. It has a high CG and will flip over on the same turn that the LST will power-slide through.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:14 AM
tmodlin

^^^^ I agree. I cant take corners nearly as fast as my buddies LST. He can go damn near WOT on pavement and do a complete 180 without flipping. One more reason my next truck will be an LST.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Tweedybird

I've noticed all the same things, I have a savage as well with an LST, and the LST out-right to me out trucks the savage on the track. Since its all I use the trucks for is racing, I notice it everytime we head out to the tracks.

I wouldn't say the LST is faster than my savage, but I would say it handles the track a hell of alot better.

thats why now I'm trying to figure out a way to plant the savage much better on the track, lower it down, widen it's stance, and lighten it up. see if it has any effect on the track which it should if I can achieve it.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:37 PM
PSG-1

Yeah personally i think it all comes down to what you want to do. Racing or bashing. I don't even think it's disputable that a savage is an awesome basher. My friend has an LST1 and he had all the problems that the LST1 had... broke his diff cases, a-arms etc. but that's the down side of a first gen car. Savages had the same problems with diffs drive cups etc.

As for performance... well My stock 25 RTR savage wasn't even in the same category as my friends LST... it just wasn't even close to keeping up. I could easily beat him off the line but i'd have the lead for a little and then he'd fly by me. I have a mach .26 in my car now (since i liked my friends LST engine so much) and i have CVD's all the way around and down the center too and a 3 speed tranny. It's not even a close race anymore as I blow him away off the line and in top speed but I had to do alot of work to get there. My truck is definately the better basher... he's afraid to jump since he might break something where I on the other hand just hit the jumps and everything always turns out ok no matter how bad i hit it. His LST, like you guys were saying, corners like you wouldn't believe compared to the savage. I let my friend drive my savage for a little and he was all over the place. I've been driving it for a long time so i'm used to it and i drive it well.

I don't know much about the SS, but it looks like a nice truck and it has a pretty powerful engine in it. The LST does come with an awesome radio system though which is definately a plus in my book.

Personally i think it's time for HPI to stop riding its savage success and build something new. I guess that will be the hellfire but it's not even really a MT to me eventhough that's what they call it. It's more like a truggy. But it's gonna have a high output K4.6 so i'm waiting to see how powerful that thing is. I think if HPI did some re-engineering to the savage they could make it a better truck than all of them. Lower the CG by mounting the engine lower (yeah i know they have a set of TVP's to do that) and put a better engine in the stock RTR version. I love the NS-25 it's an awesome motor. Easy to tune for me and held a tune very well, and that was helpful since this was my first RC car. But i think there's some things they could do to really make an ultimate RTR truck... and maybe some day they'll re-work it and come up with an awesome truck.

Just my thoughts on the comparison as i've driven both extensively and know their weakness/strengths very well. The LST2, blows away any RTR savage out there... not sure how it compares to the SS, but the LST2 addresses everything... funny hex size but that's ok hehe.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Tweedybird

Going on my 4th Season with my orginal ss kit version of my savage. Its come along way since then, with all the upgrades I have put into her. It went from a stock SS kit, to an upgraded 4.6 version + the first season, without the 28 powerplant of course, I went with the sirio .27 and never looked back. I originally upgraded the stock chasis to the thicker aluminum one but recently decided to swap that out with the carbon fiber chasis. Since I mainly race now I need to shave as much weight off as possible.

I'm also swapping out the stock upper and lower arms to CF as well, next thing on the list is to figure out how to drop the ride height down far enough so I powerslide more through the turns, killing the thought of possibly flipping the truck.

My 4.6 was halfway built up in the beginning of this past summer, up to the servos, but since I didn't have the funds to get them as well as the receiver I wanted I just stopped and focused on my orginal savage and LST.

But I did get to finish the stock shocks on the 4.6 kit and they shorter in length from the orginal by exactly 1 inch all around. So I think while I'm rebuilding the old ss I'll do the same thing to the custom shocks and see how they play [>:]

I'm just hesitant on doing that, because I've heard some cases where that creates problems later on, but I think all the cases where the shock shafts bent were due to bad landings on jumps. I think that if the truck is only used for racing it should be perfect.

I'll have the other Savage and LST for playing over mild jumps :P

I'll have to test the theory next race season

If it doesn't work, then I'll just have to pick up a new hellfire to compete with my friends LST's and Mammoth 2's

cheers

Tweedy
Old 12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
jefx

There's the LST suspension conversion for the Savage. The LST's shock are amazing, as you know. I'm sure they'd be great on the Savage.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Tweedybird

Now that would be something to think about getting,

Have an active link where I can buy?

Tweedy
Old 12-27-2005, 02:44 PM
zumzum5150
My Feedback: (2)

I took the plunge and bought the LST a while back. At first glance, the truck is intimidating compared to that of the savage. Out of the box the Lst will easily eat up a savage on the dirt track. The jumps are a lot more stable and forgiving. Speed is also a plus. My savage needed a 28 in order to even come close to the lst's top and cornering speed. However, like all trucks it had its faults. the Savage can survive multiple 10/15ft drops on dirt/concrete without having to go to the atm. With the LST is was a different story. I had to replace the pair of side brace 3 times. a couple of axles/drive shafts. the front arms were replaced with RPM and this had to be done twice. The entire chassis plate twice and a couple more things. . But nevertheless I enjoyed running both trucks very much. Having both is an unbeatable combination.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29071.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	376389   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43700.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	376390  
Old 12-27-2005, 06:42 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

Now that would be something to think about getting,

Have an active link where I can buy?

Tweedy

The only ones I've seen are on ebay.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Kanza

I owned an LST earlier this year and although I enjoyed it's performance, I eventually sold it. The original LST is superior to the Savage in every way except for durability. The Savage will generally survive an afternoon beating with minor scrapes, while the LST is far more prone to breakage. If your a "clean" driver who drives fast while keeping the tires on or at least parallel to the ground, the LST is for you. However, if you like to torture your truck, stick with the Savage.

I will admit that I am looking at the new LST2 since Losi seems to have addressed many of the problems I had with the first truck, but the radio gear will be the first thing to go. The JR servos that come with the truck aren't sealed as well as my Futaba's.
[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.