Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Center CVD's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Neil E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center CVD's

I have added center CVD's to one of my savages (the truck is a basic stock 25RTR) and have had them come apart after only a few tanks. When I got the CVD's I took the grub screw out and reinstalled using blue thread lock. I also used a piece of shrink-wrap tubing around the housing to keep from loosing the pin if the grub screw came loose. The grub screw came loose and the pin went through the shrink. Lost both parts. I have put the stock dog-bones back in for now and no problems.

My question is. Did I just buy poor quality CVD's? The manufacturer was Hot Bodies. For those who use center CVD's what manufacturer would you recommend? or should I just use hardend dog-bones and cups and forget about CVD's?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Cheers
-N-

PS Happy Holidays to all..............................
Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 PM
PSG-1

Default RE: Center CVD's

I'm running a mach .26 in my savage which has alot more power and higher rpms than the standard NS-25. I use MIP cvd's on all 4 corners and 2 down the center. I'm not sure... i'm assuming the hot bodies ones are set up like MIP's but i'd try this. Take the pins out and use a dremel tool to basically carve out a little groove right in the center of the pin on one side. Don't make the grove too deep... don't go past half way as it'll mess with the integrity of the pin. But once you do that put the pin back in and use thread lock and put the set screw in so it seats in the grove this will hold the pin in place and will prevent it from sliding either way. I've gone through about 15 tanks with my CVD's and i've yet to have a problem. Hope this helps!! If you have any questions i'll try to answer them more cause the hot bodies might be different than the MIP ones.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 AM
crop

hot bodies CVD and MIP ones are not even in the same class,those from hotbodies,especially center CVDs wear out pretty soon and sometimes they simply twist, my personal experience though.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Neil E

Thanks for the replies. I will get a set of MIP's and evaluate there performance.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
PSG-1

Neil be sure to do what I said with the pins.... here's a site that explains it with pics and everything.

http://www.hpiracing.com/walkthroughs/rebuild-cvd.htm
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 PM
:Green:

I use the same center cvds and I havent had any problems with them so far. mistake was using blue Loctite, you should use the Red on all cvd grub screws.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
PSG-1

I wouldn't use red loctite... you'll never get the screw back out... it's almost impossible.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Neil E

Thanks PSG-1. Good advise. I will use it when my CVD's arrive.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM
PSG-1

You'll love the MIP cvd's... it's a smooth ride when they're all on... no slop or play in the drivetrain at all.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:55 AM
:Green:

ORIGINAL: PSG-1

I wouldn't use red loctite... you'll never get the screw back out... it's almost impossible.
my point exactly, thats its almost impossible for it to back out....Because there is no reason to have take that knuckle joint apart once you put it together!. so yes red loctite is a good way to go on the grub screw inside the knuckle on a cvd.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM
PSG-1

No but you do eventually have to rebuild cvd's no matter which company you buy them from. My point is that there's no need for red loctite... the blue holds fine... you want to be able to rebuild them if something else goes wrong you don't want the CVD's to be permanently together. And having red loctite in there doesn't assure that it's not going to fall out, it's not the blue loctite that is the failure it's the design of the pin. If you red loctite it in there the pin can still come out because the grub screw has nothing to hold on to for the pin. So if you red loctite it and the pin comes out, then you're ****ed... just do what it says in that link that will ensure you have no pin problems.