Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

how do u hook up a reciever pac 6v

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 PM
savagett01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u hook up a reciever pac 6v

when i only have one slot for the reverse servo left plz help me
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: how do u hook up a reciever pac 6v

It plugs into the battery slot. Unplug the stock 4 cell pack and plug the hump pack in there. If you want to use both packs you'll need to get a "Y" harness for the batterys to plug into then that harness plugs into the battery slot.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 PM
bagged97

Using a "Y" harness, are the battery packs hooked up in series or parralell?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bagged97

Using a "Y" harness, are the battery packs hooked up in series or parralell?
Parallel. The two packs are hooked up - to - and + to +. The batteries inside the hump pack are hooked up in series. That's what makes the 6 volts.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
bagged97

Right, but if you run both packs together are you gonna get 10.8 volts if in series or whatever a 4.8v and a 6v pack in parallel make?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 PM
alvinl

I am not sure it would be good to run a 4.8 volt pack and a 6 volt pack together in parallel. Normally, when you run batteries in parallel they balance out. Like if one is empty and one is full, when you hook them up in parallel they will balance out and both be half full. I don't know if you can truly hook batteries up in parallel if their voltage does not match.

Also, when you hook batteries up in paralle, you don't increase the voltage. Two 12 volt batteries hooked up in parallel will put out 12 volts (I have this setup on my bass boat for the trolling motor). If you hook them up in series, like the batteries in a hump pack are connected, you add all their voltages together to determine the output.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 PM
bagged97

Right, series adds the voltage and the amps stay the same. Where as parallel adds the amps and the voltage stays the same. So do you think running two packs in parallel would hurt?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 PM
DaveG55

I think that if you hooked up a 4.8v & a 6v pack in parallel that your initial voltage would be something short of 6v but higher than 4.8v. What will happen is that the 6v battery will basically charge the 4.8v battery until both batterys reach the 4.8v level then they will both discharge at about the same rate.
I would not try running them in series. The rx in these truck, unlike their electric cousins, do not have voltage limiting circutry.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
savagett01

i need pic i'm confued
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM
alvinl

ORIGINAL: bagged97

Right, series adds the voltage and the amps stay the same. Where as parallel adds the amps and the voltage stays the same. So do you think running two packs in parallel would hurt?
It won't hurt to run two batteries in parallel, but I would get two of the same voltage.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Alexey

Non-rechargeable batteries (like Duracell) output 1.5V each so that would give you 6V from battery pack.
Putting four rechargeable batteries in battery pack will give you 4.8V as they output only 1.2V each.

I am not an expert in batteries but my understanding of the subject as follows:

If you Y harness (connect in parallel) 6V and 4.8V packs then 6V will charge 4.8V which is not good, as charging the battery past its peak voltage will damage it. Also during operation your servos will get less power, as the 6V will be trying to do two things: chagrining 4.8V pack and operating your servos at the same time.

Running different kinds of battery packs in parallel with the same voltage rating (like 4 Duracell battery pack and rechargeable hump pack) will not yield good results either as they have different discharge rates and therefore you will get the situation above where one pack would be charging the other.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
gerwen

Replace the 4 cell holder with the 5 cell hump. Plug the new pack into the same place the 4 cell holder was (into the switch).

Bad idea to run 2 different pack types in parallel.