Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage 25 le troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 AM
jonmills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage 25 le troubles...

when i accelerate up to full throttle my savage loses power n slows down.which sounds like the hsn is to lean,so i richened it up but still did it.(by the way this is my first car n only two weeks old. has been runin alright till now)
anyway ive put everything to factory settins n it still does it.............HELP!
can anyone give me any ideas what it might b

like i said this is my first car but man this thing is cool......so i gotta get it to run

cheerz from a newb once again
Old 12-23-2005, 11:01 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: savage 25 le troubles...

Did you go through the entire breakin process? If so, did you get it adjusted and running good, then this started or has it always done this? The factory settings are way rich. If it is smoking good and not leaned out too far, it might be flooding. If the breaking process is done, I would start from the factory setting. Warm up the motor and lean out the HSN about 1/2 turn. See how it runs. If it still bogs down, lean it out 1/4 turn more. Make sure you have good smoke when giving it full throttle. After another 1/4 turn, go in 1/8 turn increments. If you get to a point where you no longer see smoke from the exhaust when you punch the gas, it is too lean. Hopefully, you will get it running. If you did complete the breaking process, it just sounds too rich and is loading up with fuel.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: jonmills

when i accelerate up to full throttle my savage loses power n slows down.which sounds like the hsn is to lean,so i richened it up but still did it.(by the way this is my first car n only two weeks old. has been runin alright till now)
anyway ive put everything to factory settins n it still does it.............HELP!
can anyone give me any ideas what it might b

like i said this is my first car but man this thing is cool......so i gotta get it to run

cheerz from a newb once again

Your problem can either be too rich, or too lean. To figure out which issue you have, you need to LISTEN to how the engine sounds. Like I comment a million times, LISTENING to your engine will be the #1 tuning tool, (next to a temp guage). If your engine is too rich, it will accelerate good, then slowly start to slow down, and the engine tone will sound deep and sputtery, and when you come to a stop, the engine usually dies from being so loaded up with raw fuel. If your engine is too lean, the engine will rev very quick, and have a much higher pitched "crackle" to it. The truck will sometimes "studder" from lack of fuel. Usually an overly lean engine won't stall. Once you have a good idea which way you need to adjust, turn the HSN 1/4 turn whatever way you need to go. This will yield a noticable difference in engine behavior, and you can tell right away if you adjusted in the right direction or not.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:08 PM
jonmills

cheerz dudes, will get the beast out in the mornin an give it a go
Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 PM
living my life

Whats the temp where you live?

Hopefully you just need to get used to tuning but I had a similar problem with my boat when I was running in cold water. At idle not much water was going through it so it would run near the right temp, when I ran faster the water ran through and because it was cold the engine got to cold and slowed down after 5 seconds of full throttle. Maybe the air is cold and getting the engine to cold. I havent had that happen on my savage cause I wrapped the head with aluminum foil tape.

Hopefully you can get it running better cause its a blast to run the truck. Good luck
Old 12-24-2005, 06:03 AM
jonmills

i live in uk midlands but dont no what temp it is.
as to the foil tape,is that just to warm it up or is it while u run it aswell.
i am new to this but dont think its my tuning coz it was runin sweet the other day, so it might just be the cold air like u say.
anyway cheerz n if any1 has any other input..feel free
Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 AM
MTObsession

Just a suggestion but you might look over the fuel line to see if you have any small cracks, tears or wear spots that may be sucking air at full throttle.
This could be the problem if adjusting the HSN doesn't have an effect.

Also could be a fouled glow plug. Pull it and check it with your igniter. If iys not "white-orange" in color try changing it and retune from the rich side.