Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New 25 LE problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 03:23 AM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 25 LE problems

I just purchased a 25 Limited Edition and I wiped the spur gear out today. I know thats not uncommon to do, but the break-in isn't even complete yet! I was on the third tank, doing circles in my cul de sac at half throttle. I did about 10 or so 30' diameter circles and then brought it in to check the temperature. When I hit the gas to take back off, it just sat there, that's when I noticed the partially stripped gear. What do you think happened? This is my first nitro powered rig and the whole deal is new to me.

Is the thing supposed to roll in reverse? If you sit it on the ground and try to push it backwards the wheels won't roll......is this normal? Or is it possibly a related problem that caused the gear to go bad?

The guy at the hobby shop tunes new kits for free so I was taking it back to him Tuesday for that anyway. Is this something that I should expect him to repair for free? He offered to do the break-in, but I figured I could handle it. I guess I figured wrong.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:04 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 25 LE problems

Your gear mesh was probably very loose from the factory. Mine was and stripped out pretty quickly also, but after the breakin. Just make sure you set the mesh properly. There are several threads here on setting the mesh if you are unsure just how to do it. I have got a couple gallons out of my second gear and am still running it.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Bigchris090

hi i just got one but can not start it as the button on the roto start id broke
What do i do
Old 12-25-2005, 09:57 AM
fxrs

Chronic,
The savage should roll forward or backward with or
without the engine running, If you push it by hand or with your
foot or any other body part. It should roll pretty easy. If you
push it forward the spur gear on tranny doesn't turn because
of oneway bearing inside of tranny. If you push it backward
the spur gear should turn. If you can not push it
backward maybe brake is dragging or something is broke.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Chronic

Thanks for the responses. I'm completely bummed at this point. Can't get parts until Tuesday, and now that I've seen it run the short while, I want to drive it even more.

I think something else IS wrong. It still won't roll backwards and it's not the brakes, so I'm guessing it might be transmission related. Think the guy at the RC shop will cover it since it's only two days old and not even broken in yet?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:03 PM
-SomeGuy-

I dont think the guy at the rc shop can do much for you (not for free anyways) but if hes nice he might take care of contacting hpi to get your parts fixed or remplaced and that will take time.The only thing you can do if you want to go riding as soon as possible is to determine exactly what the problem is, then buy what you need to fix it and wait for hpi to fix/remplace your stuff and keep them as spares...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
mt2DirtMan

Hey Chronic, did you ever get the rolling backward thing fixed? Mine just started having the same problem. Any help would be great!