Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How exactly do you put clutch shoes on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
itspuddingtime00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly do you put clutch shoes on?

I have muegen shoes and 1 mm springs that I got for my savvy, but I have to admit I have never put a clutch together. I have a basic idea, but I need a few questions answered. Does the spring end that sticks out go in the groove of the flywheel nut? It seems that it would, but mine doesn't really match up, you would kind of have to bend it in there. Also, what do the washers that came with the set do? I have absolutly no idea where they go, or if you even have to use them at all. Those are the two main questions I have right now, I think I can figure the rest out by myself. Any responses would be much appreciated, I wanna run my truck today .
Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Buzzbait

Default RE: How exactly do you put clutch shoes on?

The washers go on the flywheel pins, between the pins and the shoes. The keep the shoes from gauling against the flywheel.

Yes, the spring rides in the groove of the pilot nut. If the groove of the pilot nut does not line up with the spring, you may have to bend the spring in a bit. If the groove is WAY OFF, you can shim the pilot nut for a better fit.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: itspuddingtime00

I have muegen shoes and 1 mm springs that I got for my savvy, but I have to admit I have never put a clutch together. I have a basic idea, but I need a few questions answered. Does the spring end that sticks out go in the groove of the flywheel nut? It seems that it would, but mine doesn't really match up, you would kind of have to bend it in there. Also, what do the washers that came with the set do? I have absolutly no idea where they go, or if you even have to use them at all. Those are the two main questions I have right now, I think I can figure the rest out by myself. Any responses would be much appreciated, I wanna run my truck today .

Easily getting clutch shoes off, and on takes practice. It's a REAL pain. Here is a custom tool I made out of a small screwdriver. I ground a small "V" in the tip to grip the tip of the clutch spring, and get it pushed into the clutchnut groove. I have ripped my fingertips more than once trying to use a regular screwdriver. With aluminum shoes, you need the tiny washers to go on thew flywheel pins first. This creates a gap between the flywheel and the clutch shoe so you don't get any metal to metal rubbing, causing the clutch shoes to bind, and not move freely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90388.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	376383  
Old 12-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Neil E

You may want to think about getting a muegen pilot nut. The groove in the muegen is a little bit higher and makes the installation easier.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 PM
tmodlin

Dont put them on backwards The spring tool does do wonders when removing/installing new springs.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 PM
itspuddingtime00

I ended up bending the springs and it seems fine. I have not run the truck yet so I don't know. I finished building my 4.6 today and have one question. Where does the throttle spring connect to? The carburator arm connector is one side, but where does the other end go? It's not really illustrated well in the exploded view. Also, just out of curiosity, what is the worst that could happen if the springs aren't in the groove of the nut?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: itspuddingtime00

I ended up bending the springs and it seems fine. I have not run the truck yet so I don't know. I finished building my 4.6 today and have one question. Where does the throttle spring connect to? The carburator arm connector is one side, but where does the other end go? It's not really illustrated well in the exploded view. Also, just out of curiosity, what is the worst that could happen if the springs aren't in the groove of the nut?
The stock location of the throttle return spring is to go from the arm to the high speed needle housing. A better way is to relocate the TRS to the rollbar:

Clip one end into the rollbar, and clip the other end around the linkage pivot arm. Much better throttle return precision.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24580.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	376683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56791.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	376684  
Old 12-28-2005, 04:19 AM
nd_s

how many washers do you suggest we put in??
Old 12-28-2005, 05:52 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

I don't see what the big deal is with installing clutch shoes. I do it all the time with a small screwdriver, and have only stabbed myself a few times. It really take practise to be able to get them on and off. I can rebuild a clutch in around 10-20 minutes, including removing and installing engine, and removing and installing clutch bell. I have taken apart my clutch system apart and reassembled enough times to be able to do it efficiently. My recommendation to you would be assemble, and disassemble the clutch system a few times, so that you get the hang of it. Granted tools, custom or not, help, but you really don't need them.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

I don't see what the big deal is with installing clutch shoes. I do it all the time with a small screwdriver, and have only stabbed myself a few times. It really take practise to be able to get them on and off. I can rebuild a clutch in around 10-20 minutes, including removing and installing engine, and removing and installing clutch bell. I have taken apart my clutch system apart and reassembled enough times to be able to do it efficiently. My recommendation to you would be assemble, and disassemble the clutch system a few times, so that you get the hang of it. Granted tools, custom or not, help, but you really don't need them.
Not everybody is a self proclaimed expert such as yourself. The person is obviously new to clutching, and is asking for help. It is espacially hard to try and jam mugen shoes and stiff springs into the stock HPI clutchnut, as the groove doesn't line up properly.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM
itspuddingtime00

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

It's cool man, I'm not a total n00b. It was just my first time, and I had some questions. Thanks a lot polar, I relocated my TRS and it all works great now.