Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed tranny, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:11 PM
PSG-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed tranny, need some help.

I've got a 3 speed tranny and sometimes it shifts almost directly from 1st to 3rd. I can tell it's hitting second but it's shifting right through to third. Instead of having 3 difinitive gears it sometimes just sounds like a 2 speed tranny. Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
bam.bam

Default RE: 3 speed tranny, need some help.

If you think that's the case and assuming your enginge is tune correctly then delay the shift points.
The external port on the tranny case is for the 2 to 3 gear shift adj.
The 1 to 2 shift ajd is internally and have to take the tranny apart.
Screw adj direction is clockwise for more delay. 1/4 turn at a time is recommended.
Also try to stick with one spurgear/clutchbell combo when doing tranny shift point adj.
Switching sg/cb combo during tranny shift point adj. will throw off the shift points.
Hope this help.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:09 PM
PSG-1

It doesn't always do it, just sometimes... i wonder if it's the dirt that i'm in causing the tires to spin so fast that it's just shifting through to third?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Neil E

In dirt I find that it is hard to sometimes tell (hear) when the three speed shifts from 1st to 2nd. I go to a parking lot and run my truck on dry pavement. I drive it at different speeds to determine when my tranny shifts. When all is working well on pavement what happens in dirt happens. Wheel spin will definatly change the shift points. It's all about RPM's
Old 12-28-2005, 05:22 PM
spareanychange

yer, set it in a big car park or somit, and then take it to dirt and itll usually run good, you cant hear shifting, especially if its that smaller change in tone as it is in dirt, especially if you have a 4.6 which has alot of power, as soon as it shifts the wheels spin up n e way.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
rounder540

has any one thought about making there allen wrench fit the two speed clutch holder ? i was thinking of grinding down an allen wrench to do this adjustment without having to take apart the whole thing havent done it yet but i will once i get all my stuff which brings me to my next question (sry to bug but i gotta find out ) have reverse mod and *** gear shaft can anyone put something on here showing if these are compadable or not ? and what to do step by step part 87035c has that piece on the end of it and wont slide on to the *** shaft did i just waste 30 bucks or is there some way to put the *** gear shaft on the reverse mod lost paper that had thing on it came with 3 speed instruc so can anyone plz help
Old 12-29-2005, 10:09 PM
the dog

im new to 3 speed but when i run mine on snowy conditions it shifts from 1st to second so fast that you really have to lay off the gas to hear it good. i like mine to shift early though. also if your using a 47tooth spur or smaller it is really fast. i have been using 49tooth for no good reason. they work ok. i cant hardly get mine to third because the wheels are spinning so fast that it starts to spin outta control so i cant hardly keep it ina straight line. theres no pavement to be seen for about another 3 months up here so i have to wait till spring. try a lowere spur gear.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:26 PM
BlakeBlake1234

yea i got a question..my savage 3 speed tranny shifts fine from 1st to 3rd gear but when i slow up it wont shift back to 1st. it stays in 2nd ..anyone got any suggestions or help ?