Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Not enough punch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
BLDonovan33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough punch

I got a Savage about two months ago, and I love it. I'm just about through a gallon of fuel. I put adjustable upper arms on it, and the 4 bevel rear differential in it. Just wondering... Should I be able to do wheelies with it? It doesn't seem to have a lot of punch off the line. It's top speed is great, but when I hit the gas hard, it doesn't have the punch I was expecting. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?[]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
azzman

Default RE: Not enough punch

Try leaning the bottom end a little if its bogging instead of punching, of try some alu clutch shoes...?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:59 PM
BLDonovan33

so... I'm sorta new to this, by leaning the bottom end, you mean adjust the screw on the slide part of the carb, right? Gotta try that... Won't that affect the idle setting? I'll let ya know! Thanks for the input!!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Kanza

Yep, the low end needle is on the end of the throttle slide. This may affect your idle depending on how far you adjust it, but this is best compensated by adjusting the idle stop on the back of the carb. If you adjust the low end in enough you will want to bring the idle screw out to lower the idle again.

Also, the standard Savage 25 won't wheelie every time. It's all in how you hit the throttle and what pinion to spur you have. Try a higher spur (like a 52 tooth).
Old 12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
fxrs

What engine do you have?
What clutch bell and spur gear are you using?
What tires are on the savage, stock ones are heavy.
Also Does bldonovan mean blown donovan hemi?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM
supernova803

I'm pretty sure that richening the low speed will increase bottom end. I tried some aluminum clutch shoes on my savage and regret it. They are the biggest pain in the ***** ever.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
azzman

ORIGINAL: supernova803

I'm pretty sure that richening the low speed will increase bottom end. I tried some aluminum clutch shoes on my savage and regret it. They are the biggest pain in the ***** ever.
Richening the low speed will cause it to bog when the throttle is nailed.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: supernova803

I tried some aluminum clutch shoes on my savage and regret it. They are the biggest pain in the ***** ever.
Care to elaborate? I installed mine and it was simple and the gains were huge. What didnt you like about them?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM
supernova803

ATTENTION CLASS! SCHOOLING TIME!

ok, when you grab the throttle, the throttle slide opens, and a large amount of air is sucked in at once. When running a richer low speed needle setting, it allows more fuel to be mixed with the air that was just sucked in, which makes more power. If you lean out the low speed, there will be a large amount of air and a smaller amount of fuel, therefore, a leaner mixture which can cause the motor to stutter or die. I hope that clears things up. If you go overboard on the rich part it can bog.

Care to elaborate? I installed mine and it was simple and the gains were huge. What didnt you like about them?
I suppose it was more the company than the shoesn themselves. I bought two sets from integy, and both didnt fit the flywheel correctly(which came with the shoes). I had to drill out the holes in the clutch shoes just to get the shoes to operate freely. I don't notice a different in the first place. I haven't tried another company. I plan on switching back to the stock clutch. I guess its just integy. I'll never buy from them again.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
azzman

ATTENTION CLASS! SCHOOLING TIME!

ok, when you grab the throttle, the throttle slide opens, and a large amount of air is sucked in at once. When running a richer low speed needle setting, it allows more fuel to be mixed with the air that was just sucked in, which makes more power. If you lean out the low speed, there will be a large amount of air and a smaller amount of fuel, therefore, a leaner mixture which can cause the motor to stutter or die. I hope that clears things up. If you go overboard on the rich part it can bog.

Dont get self ritcheous now!

Ok, if you are getting lean bog off the line (stuttering) then yes it needs to richen, but if its bogging because the LSN its too rich then it needs to lean, assuming at full speed the HSN is set right.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
supernova803

Trust me, I didn't mean to be rude. I just always wanted to day that.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 PM
azzman

Sweet...