Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HOW TO MOUNT A COLLARI.32

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Mech747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO MOUNT A COLLARI.32

ok heres what happened i walked in to my LHS and asked whats new and he rushed over to the counter grabbed the collari.32 and said behold the most powerful engine that fits a savage and while i was looking i notice how small and close the exhaust port is to the rotostart back plate [X(] so my question is has any one fitted a collari .32 on a savage before if yes can some one tell me how to do it cause i can't see the stock header fitting the port [&:] PS that engine is awesome
Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 AM
tmodlin

Default RE: HOW TO MOUNT A COLLARI.32

I know this has been disgused on here before but I am not sure by who. I suggest using the search function in the HPI section, but be prepared to read a lot.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 AM
petembx5

my collari 32 with the roto lasted about 4 tanks till the roto melted. your correct the exhaust is way too close. you have to grind down the entire flange on the bottom of the exhaust manifold and it is still to close you have to wiggle it on . make sure to use two exhatst springs to keep it tight. The problem i had was that the pipe heated up the top part of the rotosstart and the plastic that holds the internals got soft and the gears moved apart so i need a new rotostart. the only problem is that people do not stock parts for these engines. If your lhs stocks parts thats good.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:00 AM
Mech747

cool so the stock header can fit i have a solution to the melting problem i think...?put a piece of heat sheild from a weedwacker motor in between the header and the roto that should work cause gas engines run hotter than nitro ones oh and how is the collari .32 working for you lots of torque i bet if it good i will go and grab one before the lst guys gets it
Old 12-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Not enough room for a heat shield... it will become a heat transfer agent.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 PM
boydie1

I ended up grinding a piece out of the roto-start housing, but not too deep to the gears, as well as grinding down the bottom of the exhaust flange. My only other problem was the exhaust port on the .32 is smaller than on the HPI engines, so I had to use high temp sealant around the exhaust gasket to stop oil leaks all over the back of the engine and restore back pressure to the exhaust to retain performance.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Mech747

ok heres what happened i walked in to my LHS and asked whats new and he rushed over to the counter grabbed the collari.32 and said behold the most powerful engine that fits a savage and while i was looking i notice how small and close the exhaust port is to the rotostart back plate [X(] so my question is has any one fitted a collari .32 on a savage before if yes can some one tell me how to do it cause i can't see the stock header fitting the port [&:] PS that engine is awesome
It's an issue with the Collari 30's and 32's. Depending on the exact pipe you are running, you need to make absolutely sure there is a flat edge on the bottom of the exhaust flange, so as to clear the p/s housing. I run a THS pipe, and I had to do a fair amount of grinding to allow enough clearence from the exhaust manifold flange.Keep in mind, the exhaust manifold can rotate under hard bashing, and jumping. If the hot manifold flange rubs against the p/s housing, it will melt it.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Mech747

ya grinding the roto is a good idea like how many MM can you get by grinding it i hope it will be enough and how is the motor when all is done? good performance or its about the same as a .28
Old 12-31-2005, 10:30 PM
boydie1

I only removed about 2-3mm, just take it slowly & keep an eye on it as your grinding.I also sealed up the two halves where I ground off on the roto-start housing just as a precaution to stop any crap making its way into the housing. I love my .32 and its a lot faster than my sh.28 or my mates k4.6