Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage 25....things i hate!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage 25....things i hate!

Hi,
this is my first post here, seems to be a good populated forum so i thought i would get alot of feedback.
Anyway, im the proud owner of the savage 25 limited edition and im currently running it in.
The only thing i really hate about the car is that ridiculous receiver tray and mud cover! I have a failsafe, two servos and a battery pack inside it aint i just cant get the mud cover on! Its so annoying and a stupid design, can anyone give me any upgrades/tips on closing it!? Im also going to buy a high torque steering servo and hopefully a hump pack aswell tomorrow. Any help/pics would be great.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
supermaxxrpm

Default RE: savage 25....things i hate!

Well my buddy and I have a hump pack...So we drilled a little hole on the side of the top lid of the electrnoic box thing and we pulled out the cords that come from the hump pack that connect to the little switch thing....So we dont have to take the electrnoic box apart everytime you recharge your battery...(he also sealed his back up with this sealent stuff)
Old 01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
rock_the_stock

yes ive seen someone do a mod where they mounted the hump receiver pack infront of the frot shock tower, kinda between the body and the shock tower. all you have to do is make a small hole in the little cover and zip-tie or foam tape or whatever to the front. i dont even own a savage (-YET-) though. [&:]
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
MarkJeepn

I put a little hole on the side of the box and mounted the on/off switch on the side to eliminate that plate the reciever sits on and took the battery pack out and put it in front of the front shock tower. since I have done that my battery box is about the easyest thing to open on the truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75796.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	379826  
Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
rock_the_stock

why do you have AA cells? are you using that instead of a receiver pack?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
MarkJeepn

I havent put the hump pack on yet but so far this works great.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 AM
kurtf5

no i dont have a hump pack, as i already said.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 AM
gerwen

While you're putting in a hump pack, do yourself a favour and add something like these to your shopping list:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL303&P=ML]switch with charging jack[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE963&P=ML]External charge receptacle[/link]

It will allow you to charge your pack without opening the radio box.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: kurtf5

Hi,
this is my first post here, seems to be a good populated forum so i thought i would get alot of feedback.
Anyway, im the proud owner of the savage 25 limited edition and im currently running it in.
The only thing i really hate about the car is that ridiculous receiver tray and mud cover! I have a failsafe, two servos and a battery pack inside it aint i just cant get the mud cover on! Its so annoying and a stupid design, can anyone give me any upgrades/tips on closing it!? Im also going to buy a high torque steering servo and hopefully a hump pack aswell tomorrow. Any help/pics would be great.
Yes wee all agree with you. The Savage radio box sucks, has sucked for the past 4 years, and probably won't be updated. The world is not perfect, nor is your Savage (but it's close). Buy yourself a rechargable 5 cell hump, zip tie the charge lead to your rollbar externally, and you will rarely ever have to open your radio box lid again.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:28 PM
podge_87

try either [link=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45272]This[/link] or [link=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24672]this[/link] thinking of doing the second one my self but not had time
Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
zavzilla

one thing i hate about my savy is the one way bearing it keeps sliping after each tank put throw it does any on know how to stop this from hapening
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM
podge_87

ORIGINAL: zavzilla

one thing i hate about my savy is the one way bearing it keeps sliping after each tank put throw it does any on know how to stop this from hapening
user error mainly
Old 01-03-2006, 07:22 PM
tmodlin

Make sure your exhaust gasket is sealing properly and your back plate is sealed. Also, is it running rich allowing extra oil to get everywhere?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:31 PM
-SomeGuy-

For the bearing problem i drilled a small hole on side of rotostart backplate just big enough to get the straw of my degreaser spray into it.A couple of shots and some spinning it will catch and then your back in buisness without taking the truck appart...

As for the radio box all i can say is it sucks...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Polar_Bus

Overly rich tuning causes excessive oil buildup in the crankcases which gets into the oneway bearing causing it to slip. Remove the oneway bearing, clean it with solvent, and it will work like new.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long does the average oneway bearing last before slipping? I am on 3 gallons of fuel with the original oneway and I have never cleaned it. I read over and over how people have to clean or replace then so often but I have yet to have a problem with one. I am sure now that I said something, mine will slip tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
bagged97

I have about 4 gallons thru this S-25 but the OWB came out of my old motor with about 6 gallons thru it. When I replaced the motor I figured I'd use the old OWB (since it still worked), and stuck the new one in the pit box. I've never had it slip.