Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I have some Savage diff issues (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Polar_Bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have some Savage diff issues (with pics)

Well i've been noticing a loss in top speeds with my Collari .30 Savage, and when rolling it backwards, I also noticed drivetrain "resistance". I figured it was time to inspect the diffs (my diffs are almost 2 years old). I narrowed down the issue to the rear diff. First issuethere was barely any fluid in the diff. Issue #2 was wasted spider gear shafts creating slop in the side gears which caused the drivetrain resistance

BTW, as an option, I rummaged through my "stash" of stuff and found a diff from an Ofna MBX buggy. I found that Ofna MBX's use identicle 4 gear spider shafts that interchange perfect with the Savage diffs.

I move to inspect the front diff and upon a cleaning and a teardown I see a bent/cracked hingepin bracket (don't know how this happened)

And a broken diff housing (near the screw hole). Whatever impact did this it actually sheared off the small plastic pin bosses that fit into the hingepin bracket.

All in all I cannot complain. I got 2 years out of these diffs, (and who knows how long my rear diff was dry of fluid). Here is a BIG reason I attribute my awesome life of my diffs

Notice how CLEAN the area is where the diff assembly is. This is a result from RTV sealing both the aluminum diff cover plate, and the plastic skid plate. This keeps out ALL the grime and water from working its way into your diffs. So bottom line check and seal your diffs from time to time and they will last a long time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69413.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	379933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32373.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	379934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38484.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.6 KB