Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

DRIFTING SAVAGES??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM
elcaminosavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIFTING SAVAGES??????

has anybody ever tried drifting their Savage?
What would it take to make it drift?
Is it possible?
thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM
bagged97

Default RE: DRIFTING SAVAGES??????

I was out in the parking lot today and it was drizzling so there was a light coat of water on the blacktop. Combo that with my new foam slicks and I was pullin some nice powerslides. Not quite drifting but close. But drifting really ain't my cup a tea.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you took the tyres off the rims it would probably drift, although it would ruin the rims in the process. Try driving on compacted snow or ice, just about any RC drifts in those conditions.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
cavv123

frozen body of water should do it.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
dark321devil

you can easily drift in rocky areas. i drift in a field with a lot of loose gravel and its super fun.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:16 PM
DaveG55

I made a set of drift tires out of PVC for my T-Maxx. They'll fit my Savage too but I haven't tried it yet. Everybody says ABS works better but I've been too busy to try that out yet either. It's funny as all get out to try to drive with those on.
Check out this thread. I've got a pic of my Maxx there with the drift tires on.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._2/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
bagged97

DaveG55, that Maxx looks like some kind steamroller Rat Fink would be drivin! I like it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 PM
elcaminosavage

I agree bagged97, looks like a steam roller ed roth made..............................my only question to DaveG55 is did u make that outta PVC PIPING? or did u use something else? and if u used PVC pipes, how did you get it on your wheels? are they beadlock rims or what?
thanks for all the great replies.............I like all these ideeas so far............maybe i'll try PVC tires on Ice.....that should be interesting
Old 01-04-2006, 12:05 AM
DaveG55

I took the old, stock tires off of a set of Savage 25 rims, painted them metalic blue (I tried dying them but if you forget they're in the dye they get REALLY dark). For the tires I took a wheel to Home Depot and started fitting them into pipes and pipe fittings until I found something that fit snugly. I ended up using a 4" coupler. I then cut it to length, sanded the ends smooth, wrapped a few wraps of duct tape around the wheels (to make a snugger fit) and pounded them onto the wheels.
Believe me, if you put drift wheels on and try to drive on ice, you'll go nowhere. It's hard enough to build any speed on asphalt.
Also, if you try this keep an eye on engine temps and be careful about over reving. You don't get much airflow with these tires and it's easy to get the revs WAY up there. I run a bit rich with those tires and try to go easy on the gas.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Cyberfyn

My 4.6 will drift beautifully on snow or loose stuff. Have a look at the way rally drivers get their 4x4s to drift. You have to flick the car in the oposite direction of the corner and then back to get the back to step out, they back into the corner. Then ballance on the power for as long as your skill lasts! I have also discovered that snow cleans a dirty Sav really well

IAN F.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: elcaminosavage

has anybody ever tried drifting their Savage?
What would it take to make it drift?
Is it possible?
thanks in advance for any feedback.
If you plan on agressively "drifting" a stock Savage, better plan on a full CAGE, you will be barrel rolling your truck frequently. However, get your Savage out on the ice, throw in some screws, and now you will be sideways, NO problem (and rollovers are FAR less frequent).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57196.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	380776  
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
amitbob21

nice
Old 01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Whoa G

the wrc cars don't really drift, they powerslide more than anything. For drifting, you need asphalt, and really hard compund tires (the PVC is good, but does it smoke?) and rear-drive-only. drifting is about looking like you're about to crash, but looking good while doing it - making lots of smoke, lots of noise, and, of course, getting really sideways. if you look at real drift cars - not rally cars, they are almost invariably rear drive, and have a LSD too so the car doesn't diff out, making less smoke. also, the cars have a much lower cg than a savage, and the steering is modified for more angle. what you guys are talking about is powersliding, not drifting, sorry to burst your bubble.

btw why didn't HPI make a Stage D kit for the Savage if they thought it could drift? - honest, maybe they're coming out with one, lcg tvp's, hard compund slicks, modified steering linkage, lsd . . .
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 PM
elcaminosavage

I think theres a possibility of my savage drifting, not very well, but it could happen. I dont think it'll make as much smoke as a real drifter though, not heavy enough. I have smoked the tires once kinda by accident when starting it up, the first time i started it, and the servos werent tuned properly, it reved up and kept spinning the tires. It was rested up against the curb. there was plenty of smoke coming from the tires. Maybe i'll just try to put some kinda oil on my tires, that'd prolly be fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 PM
ccs77

Take plastic zip ties and strap it down Works for mine
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 AM
elcaminosavage

Does anybody know of any companies selling limited slip diffs?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 AM
bagged97

It already has a limited slip.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
elcaminosavage

awsome
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Whoa G

by limited-slip, i meant a really tight ball-diff or something like that. in a real drift car, it's hard to even call it a diff because it moves so little. and you'd be able to create some copious amounts of smoke from a savage i would think, you'd just need the right tire. the little nitro touring cars converted to drifters make some smoke, but a savage is quite a bit heavier than those, so i think it would work well. check out [link=http://www.yokomousa.com]Yokomo[/link], they make quite a few drifters, and i believe there's video too.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
bagged97

Drifting is a powerslide. Just with some class. Back in the day these crazy Japanese dudes were lookin for a way to rip thru Japans mountain street. They took on the styles of rally drivers to powerslide thru the turns and prevent the awfull act of slowing down. Once these dudes took this to the streets of cities more and more people caught on to it in order to win street races. Then the part people came to watch was not just the race but the "drifting" drivers did in the turns. After a while folks just cut out the race part and focused on the poweslides. Even building cars just for this purpose. In the process of maintaining a car in a constant powerslide you get lots of smoke. That is why what we now call "drifting" is so associated with smoke. When it's all broke down, it's just a fancy powerslide. Afterall the HPI RS4 "D" will drift all day long, but no smoke.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Mech747

put clear tape on two sides of the tire and leave about 3/4 of an inch of rubber so you get some grip to pick up some speed and if you turn the sides will be taped so you will slide instead of rolling over its fun, works really well and still retains the MT look[:-]
Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
elcaminosavage

I like that idea, i'm gunna have to try it.............sounds like it'll work really well!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Whoa G

I agree with that story except for the part where people used it to win races. powersliding on tarmac slows you down, which is why drifting isn't about racing. a lot of drifters also do "grip" racing, which is exactly what it sounds like: gripping the track instead of sliding on it - just the oppisite to drifting, and this form of racing is about going fast, like LeMans or NASCAR. and i hear that squirting some bleach on your tires makes them smoke, never seen it done, just heard it works. the reason powersliding helps rally drivers is because there's so little grip on the dirt to turn the car, so they slide the car sideways continually, and use the power of the car to turn it instead of the lateral grip from the tires (which is nearly nonexistent at those speeds) still, a drift isn't just about powersliding, it requires intense car control, and one heck of a car too.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Cyberfyn

I belong to a club in the UK (mitsubishi FTO OC) and one of the members is selling his drifter to help finance a new Skyline. Doesn't look much, but I've been round Donnington circuit with him and I can tell you in the hands of a good driver, you spend very little time actually going in a stright line. Truely vomit inducing [:'(]

Here's the specs:

NISSAN SILVIA S13 Highly Modified 3.0 VG30 Turbo Approx, 600 BHP , 2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Coupe, Petrol, 34,375 miles, Metallic Pearl White . THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DRIFT AND DRAG MACHINE WITH OVER 600 BHP RWD AND A 3.0 V6 ENGINE AND A MASSIVE SINGLE TURBO! EXTRAS INCLUDE Power Steering, Central Locking, E/Windows, E/Mirrors, Digital Climate Control, Flared Arch Kit, Nizmo 320 KM/H Clocks, ULTRA Gear Shift Indicator As well As A Large Rev Counter, Nissan Skyline GTR Suede Bucket Seats, Full Roll Cage, Stripped And Lightened Interior, OMP Racing Steering Wheel, HKS Boost Gauge, Apex'i Electrical Gauges Controller Unit, Apexi Gauges Include Oil Pressure Gauge, Exhaust Temperature Gauge, Oil Temperature Gauge, Fuel Pressure Gauge, HKS Pressure Controller, HKS EVC Electronic Valve Controller, Abbey Road Company (ARC) F1 Style Rear Spoiler, Paddle Racing Clutch, Quick Shift Gears, 17"Volk Racing Rays Alloys, Aero Dynamic Mirrors, Carbon Fiber Bonnet, Front Bumper Skirt, 4 Layer Front Mounted Intercooler, Tubular Manifold, Adjustable HKS Blow Off Valve, Bigger Breathers, Bigger And Extra Injectors, Updated Gearbox, HKS Fully Adjustable Coil Over Suspension, 3.0 V6 24Valve Twin Throttle VG30 Engine, Massive Single Turbo With External Waste Gate, After Market LSD, Nissan Skyline GT-R Brakes, After Market Fuel Pressure Regulator, After Market Fuel Rail, Braded Fuel Lines, High Pressure Fuel Pump

Ian F.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 PM
INTEGRA

definatly nice drifter......and as far as the skyline.....crazyness id love 1... i have a couple electric tamiya drifters and a smartech i converted to drift.....as far as difting a savage...havent tried the ice tired on it yett ....but the nitro quake sees the skating rink all the time...kinda uncontrollable but still fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41803.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	382469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72431.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	382470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19086.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	382471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11883.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	382472  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.