Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

noise level

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
N3W2R/C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: noise level

thanks you guys, does it really matter much what kind of truck you get if i am just going to be screwing around and like bigbodychevy said doing wheelies and figure 8s in the street. any other suggerstions on how to keep the truck noise down?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
bigbodychevy

Buy the truck and drive it. Get your nieghbors earplugs. Let you dad drive it after you get it. I turned it into a father son hobby. Course im the dad. Hell let him know your talking to a bunch of dads online telling him to buy it for himself and make you get a summer job for yours. LOL

[:-]

:-)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
bigbodychevy

Even better show him the video I linked on page one of my 6 year old son driving his.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
N3W2R/C

thanks bigbodychevy i really appreciate it
Old 01-04-2006, 10:25 PM
bigbodychevy

new 2 rc how old are you and how old is your father.

Im 28 my son is 6.

I just got my brother inlaw in the hobby now my father inlaw wants in he is in his 50's and retired.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 PM
N3W2R/C

i am 15 and my dad is like 51 i think,
Old 01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
N3W2R/C

my dad dosent take to things that he didnt have as a kid, whatever it is if he didnt have it or hasnt tried it he wont approve
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
N3W2R/C

i saw you video and i liked it what did yall use for a ramp? besided the jack stand?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
N3W2R/C

bigbodychevy
how tough are these trucks. like is one big crash going to break it to the unuseable point?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 PM
bigbodychevy

depends on how hard you bash. the guys at Beatyourtruck.com are nuts I dont play that ruff. hehe.

Some wrecks you think would total it do nothing others that dont look bad demolish it. Momemtum is funny some times.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
N3W2R/C

after i get the truck what am i goin to have to do before i take it out and run it?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
bigbodychevy

show him the video or find a local track and convince him to go take a look in person.

You telling me you guys dont have color TV or Microwave or a PC. Trust me your father has alot of stuff in the house now that was not even evented when he was young. The last 50 years has brought Huge changes to the world.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
N3W2R/C

true alot of the stuff i want he just dosent approve of good talking to you but i g2g thank you for all you helped me with and the advice you gave me
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Mech747

try making a baffled sliencer i made one for my savage it made it sound like a .15 or you could get a monster bigblock like a .91 or.76 .70 heli motors those will be loud but have a much deeper and lower sound making it not as annoying as the screaming .21-.28 it actually sounds cool. thump thump thump
Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
kurtf5

Its a shame your parents dont like the noise, i kinda like it, i hate it on idle when its right next to me but when your flooring it it sounds good, i mean, would you rather have a silent engine? its also good because you can tell if its tuned ok. Also instead of asking questions, type the name of a car you could possibly want followed by "reviews" on google, i found a very good review about the kyosho Mad Force, i think it was on this site! I found it in december some time, i got the savage instead though and after i joined this forum. Turns out this is a very populated forum and you get quick answers. But some reviews on the net are awsome.
No offence but i think your dad should be more open minded to the hobby, and if its noise he doesnt like, thats the least of his problems! Some of the major repairs on your engine and car are a hell of a lot more annoying.
But its worth it in the end! My dad has a jewelry shop and has known how to fix watches with 20 years experience, so hes pretty good at fixing gears or anything else like that.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:30 AM
miswa

get a savage if your not going to race. about the noise, nitro engines screams! you may want to consider an electric truck, they make really good ones now and you can run them in your house even if your grandma is sleeping
Old 01-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Chronic

Don't get a Savage with a big tuned pipe or the ribbed pipe. It's loud. It's louder than the Revo, T-maxx, and the LST2 that I usually run with. Everytime I go to the LHS and run mine someone always comments on how much louder mine is than theirs. I have been asked to shut mine off when people are tuning theirs because they can't hear their engines. A lady at the park asked me for a ten minute break one time becuase they were playing tennis and couldn't hear the people on the other side of the net. My neighbors come out and watch when I'm running mine. I only run it during the day and never more than one tank there though. If I didn't own one, it might annoy me too and my wife works third shift so I know she would hate it. Don't EVER go around a golf course....trust me.

It's addictive, and if your dad has a pulse, he WILL want one for himself if he watches you run yours much. I've already made four people go out and buy them because of mine. My dad even wanted one so he got an LST2 for Christmas, and he's older than your dad. Now my younger brother is going to get one next week.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:28 PM
uflbronco

I had the same concern when I was buying. The guy across the street from me has a Revo, and I was able to hear it inside my only if the AC wasn't running, or TV wasn't on. I bought a Savage LE thinking it would be about the same. This is not the case. The Savage is MUCH louder. I still drive it on my street all the time and nobody has complained. I get more people coming outside and oohing and awing over it.
But, if noise is a concern, I would get the Revo.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Here are the things I can think of right now to quiet a Savage...

1.) Make a muffler (NOT a pipe). I have a composite pipe on my Savage, with a Dubro Exhuast deflector. For the muffler, get a 24-35mm film can, and drill two holes (one on each end). Stuff it with something (Like steel wool) and make a pencil sized hole down the middle, or get some exhaust tubing, and stuff one end on the end of the exhaust deflector. Instant muffler...Db meter (borrowed from high school) says a 15dB drop with the muffler. I only run the muffler when I'm messing around on the street as the truck kinda sucks wind at WOT with it because I extended the exhaust. But do get a exhaust deflector, they drop the dB by up to 5.

2.) 4 Stroke conversion. This is going to cost you some [sm=greedy.gif][sm=greedy.gif][sm=greedy.gif]. Kinda makes it sound like a full scale car or a really quiet lawn mower (some guy that frequents the hobby shop did this). I believed he used a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBY57&P=0]O.S. FS-40 Surpass[/link] to replace his Nitro Star .25. He also used a three speed transmission and its a litte overgeared and it runs quite slowly, maybe 10-15MPH slower in 3rd gear because the 4 Stroke revvs at 12,000 RPM while the Nitro Star .25 revvs at 38,000 RPM.