Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

20T/49T???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 AM
brucie600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20T/49T???

G'day Lads
I'm just asking whether a 20T clutch bell with a 49T spur gear combo would fit? I thought i would ask before i went off and bought them.
I have an OS 30VG and it's fast as anything, currently the gearing is - 15/47 and it was defenetly holding back some power. So i installed a 20T clutch bell with the 47T (It's all i had left in my tool box lol) it was handling the high gearing fine. Problem is it stripped two 47T's and is no doubt going to strip more. So will a 49T fit? It's either that or 18/49.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:04 AM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 20T/49T???

Not sure about the gearing part, but I do know if you get yourself a 1.0 or 1.1 spring and lock it down tight you won't melt your spur as easy. If you're stripping the teeth off your spur you don't have the mesh correct.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 AM
brucie600

The meshing is fine, not too close or too distant. I do have more than just the basic experience. It's the fact that the OS has explosive bottom end.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
gerwen

There's also a fair chance that you are a tad overgeared for your clutch. The clutch slips, heats up the bell, melts the spur gear. Next time it happens with your current gearing, get a temp reading on your clutch bell. If it's over 200F, chances are you melted the spur.

I've melted them with 17/49 and the SS's K4.6.

What clutch are you running? Even an aluminum one may overheat with that tall gearing. What tires are you running? Bigger, heavier wheels and tires also make the problem worse.