Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savy's in water??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:34 PM
mrellis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savy's in water??

I am a newb... to nitro. Savy is my first. My LHS has told me that running these things in water (puddles, wet roads, snow) is absolutely the wrong thing to do. But I have seen many discussions where they are run on snow and on wet roads. What negative effect does wet conditions do to the Savy. Other than protecting my rcvr with a balloon, what else can be done to guard against water?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
bagged97

Default RE: Savy's in water??

Some people go to great lengths to water proof a Sav., but the shop is right. If you can try to avoid water. Now you can balloon the servos and RX. You can also seal the radio box with silicone sealant. You can also seal the diffs, and the tranny with sealant. Then before you run the truck, kill it with WD-40 to help displace any water it comes in contact with. I'd also get some more tips and info.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
thunderw0lf

I've hit many puddles that splashed water all over everything and none ever got in the radio box. Just make sure the servos are sealed and you'll be fine. Just make sure to dry it off good when your done and keep the slipper locked down tight or the water will make it slip too much and melt the spur gear.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM
MaRtInHAHAH

yeah but if u dont dry it U can get rust on the litle bauty
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

I've run in a downpour, plowed through deep puddles, never had a problem.

I do know that you will need to clean and relube your wheel bearings afterward.

I would do a complete breakdown within a week or so.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 PM
INTEGRA

oh boy.....snow bashing is a blast...most fun u can have with cloths on...chk it out after a good session
P.S as u can see i wrap it all up in syran...but also my servos are sealed with silocon and same with my Rx.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44539.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	382489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39106.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	382490  
Old 02-05-2006, 02:38 PM
benzzyo5

sweet dude
Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM
kurtf5

man those pics are impressive! It seems nothing can stop a savage....well maybe a quick sand pit?
On a show called top gear, they had a truck with these special tyres which had cup shapes in them, amazingly the car could drive on water! The cups in the tyres kind of paddled along the water and forcing it forward. I bet its possible with the savage too if you had the right tyres.
Also whats on your heatsink? It looks like a support to stop it scratching if it fell wheels up, did you make it yourself?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:34 PM
snoop1050

doubt you could do it with a savage lol theres no way a savage has enough speed to ride on water ,that truck was one of those special ones that they use in those mountain climbing events and had something like 1000+ HP if i remember right
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 PM
jnewby54

I went bashing today, (with new batteries in the truck and remote), accidently went through a puddle and within minutes, truck was not responding and grew a mind of its own! An awesome day was water shortened.

I don't know how RCDadChicago can do all the things he said he is doing with his. [X(][sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-06-2006, 12:27 AM
savageo28

here's mine in the mud.....
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 AM
nedMX

i took mine on the road in a downpour just 20 minutes ago. it was awesome fun pulling massive powerslides...till my carby fell out, AGAIN.

just put all elecs in baloons and splash away. drive it through enough puddles and long grass and there no need to clean it.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Kanza

Here are some tips.

First: Use what some companies refer to as sealed servos. While they aren't completely waterproof, most of these servos feature rubber o-rings around the case joints that keep out water and dust. Airtronics and Futaba do a great job of sealing their servos, but Hitec goes even further on their high-end models by puting o-rings under each case screw and around the output shaft just inside the top of the case. As for the receiver, you can wrap it in a very small baggy. Just don't use a zip-lock, since the zip part takes up some space in the tiny Savage radio box.

Second: Keep your air filter well oiled. While you can bog down the engine with too much oil, you should make sure both the inner and outer elements are completely moist. Oil hates water, so it will protect your engine from the moisture. If you want to get creative, you can also find a way to shield the air filter from the mud/snow/misc' gunk that the front tires throw all over the chassis. If you do this, be sure you don't cut off vital airflow to the filter

Third: Oil the rest of the truck. A quick spray down with some WD-40 does the trick here. Again, don't over do it. Few things stink up a house like WD-40 (BTW, WD-40 literally means "Water Displacement formula 40")

Fourth: If you run in the snow, make sure you have a warm area with a drain nearby to spray off the truck once your done. Use regular nitro spray for this, and concentrate on things like the engine and drive train. This will get the snow and ice of the truck before they can start to corrode things. Also, take out the receiver tray and battery pack while you are doing this, and set them to the side while the truck melts off.

Hope this helps

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:11 PM
crop

just got a snow here, what a splash,great fun. btw,we didn't have time do the water proof job as the snow would melt before we finish that, but the whole truck is immediately dried with a drier after running. electronics and bearings are ok after the job and the car is like brand new.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43120.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	403430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69985.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	403431  
Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
mr invizable

i've run on a wet beach before, mad sand spays when you floor it, and pull powerslides, a little clean up afterwards, and no probs here.

also, i have seen a video (bant remember where though) of some lads, water proofing their sav, and sending it out onto a lake!!!!!!!!!!

the only problem they seemed to have was the driver hit a rock on the way out of the water, breaking one of his shafts leaving im with 3-wheel drive, other than that it looked fine, i will have to do a search for that vid again and post a link on here for you all
Old 02-07-2006, 10:40 AM
kurtf5

maybe an RC hovercraft would be a new exciting trend, ive only ever seen those chinese "Taito" or Tyco ones though, i had one once and it drained me AA's within 1 minute of operation. Pfft wasnt worth the effort, but is really fun on water.
Someone should ask HPI or another leading brand to bring one out along with some advertising and i BET it would sell like nobodys business.
Would a nitro hovercraft be possible? Breaking in would be abit difficult!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
podge_87

i also can remember this video and have searched many times for it but i cant find it anywhere. was it the video where he had string tided to it and he had them huge tyres on?
ORIGINAL: mr invizable

i've run on a wet beach before, mad sand spays when you floor it, and pull powerslides, a little clean up afterwards, and no probs here.

also, i have seen a video (bant remember where though) of some lads, water proofing their sav, and sending it out onto a lake!!!!!!!!!!

the only problem they seemed to have was the driver hit a rock on the way out of the water, breaking one of his shafts leaving im with 3-wheel drive, other than that it looked fine, i will have to do a search for that vid again and post a link on here for you all