Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

ss 4.6 help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
RCERFE
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ss 4.6 help.

Hi all. I have a new savage 4.6 It has 3.5 tanks fuel though it. I have more tuning to do. lots of smoke, but it already will wheelie to much. My trouble is it cant idle if stopped on the ground. I also must hold it off the ground to start. The gears turn freely without turning the engine over. I cant see how the clutch will turn free with engine off, but seems locked up running. The clutch was put in pointing the right way.. Thanks for any help...
Side note for anyone thinking about this kit. I have planes, but this is my 1st truck/car. It was ez to put together. 12.5 hr. with help from my 16 year old son. some of this time was wasted on a bad batt box..
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
bigbodychevy

Default RE: ss 4.6 help.

sounds like the clutch nut is to tight or to loose not sure. Im a new 4.6 truck owner. Just built mine last week only have 4 tanks in it. I got it built in 10 hours. with bout 3 30 minute breaks in the 10 hour period. Built all by my self, its my first MT, but I do have a stadium truck I have torn down and rebuilt before.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
RCERFE

How can the clutch nut do that? I think it just holds it in place. Unless you mean the slipper clutch. Is slipper for drive train sock. If so how would it do this? any more help? anyone? on the time it may take to put togeter. Just trying to stop anyone from being put off. my lhs said 38hr.. Thanks to all...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 PM
fxrs

Not to sound like a wise ***** but you did put the little springs
on each shoe I hope. Also the springs must go to the left
side of clutch nut. I believe your clutch is not disengaging.
I mean the clutch on the motor and not the slipper clutch.
Check this area first. you'll have to pull motor back out
and remove clutch bell but taking them apart is part of the .
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
bigbodychevy

Do you have the owners manual, if so read the part on the slipper clutch and try it yourself. Dont pay somebody money to do it for you. Half the fun of this hobby is doing the wrenching.

I had problems with my clutch shoe install I had to redo it, truck would not fire at all. The picture is not clear in the manual on how to actually set the springs. the inside of the spring next to the shaft has to overlap the shaft so there is no part of the spring sticking out on the outside. ( it took me forever to figure this out actually had a buddy in the hobby look at it.) The instructions on this part should have words as well as pictures to describe it.

The slipper clutch should be fully tightened then backed out 1/4th to 1/2 turn. mines out about 1/4th.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
RCERFE

Ok maybe we are getting to something. yes springs on each shoe, and to the left of shoe, but not on a nut. it has 3 pins that each shoe and spring was put on. photos of this in manual was hard for me to see. It did look right. the springs will hold the shoe out. had to push shoe in to get bell on. this must not be right. as foce of it spinning needs to push shoe out is this right? If so how do i fix it. i really cant see the photos good. just to small...
Old 01-05-2006, 09:17 PM
bigbodychevy

hard to explain what i mean here in type. if your truck is apart now do you have access to a digi camera?

hold on ill think of something.

bingo paint saved to gif form.

the red lines are the springs, I did not have them set over the nut. like shown here. Instead of the springs being in the shoes on the outside edge of the wheel they where sticking way out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74672.gif
Views:	9
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	381808  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
RCERFE

bigbodychevy, I must have been posting the same time as you.. yes this is it. i will take it back down and try again. the end of the springs was sticking out the outside. so this end need to go againest the shaft?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
bigbodychevy

it needs to be set over the shaft to pull the outsides in. here is a nother crude drawing in paint the old set up i had wrong and the corrected. sorry its hard to find the right words.

open it up in full size the picture is easier to see that way.

Hope I help some. this was my only frustration building this kit. this part of the manual is not clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78407.gif
Views:	10
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	381816  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
RCERFE

yes thats it. now i can see how the springs will hold the shoes in. I will redo friday. Thank you so much.
Same as you building the kit was fun. spent some extra time on this and got it wrong. hpi needs to work on this. Its just to good of a kit to have this one bad part.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Savage545

The same thing happened to me when I started running my Savage. I had to hold the Savage in the air to start it and the truck would constantly move at idle. I noticed a big gouge in the clutch bell that was caused from the springs being improperly inserted. I also had to have a friend show me the correct way to insert the springs since the instructions were unclear. Once I got the springs in the right way the problem was fixed. When you put the springs on, you have to bend the short part on the other side of the clutch nut so the shoes are forced together on the inside.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
bigbodychevy

Yes I found this out later hehe. 24 hours after I built the kit, I was so mad my new truck would not start the next day after the build. I jumped outta bed to fire her up for the first time and pull pull pull, linkage check, prime check, flood, repeat. Till Scott came over.

He called this Setting the clutch. when I described what was going on he zeroed in on the clutch told me to take it out and look at it. I couldn't see the problem by looking at it. I told him it matched the pics in the manual. After he looked at the build manual and saw I was right he said "Now you see!!! That's why I run Losi!" Then he went in to explain "Setting the clutch".

He is a kewl dude, I took a BS job after looseing one, for income while looking for a real job. I saw him in the break room reading an RC mag. We started talking and became instant friends. I Only worked there 4 weeks that was 3 month ago. We run our trucks about every weekend for the last 4 months. Here is last weekends trip local track closed so we went to a baseball field.

My sons first time driving the MT2 santa got him for christmas

http://www.putfile.com/bigbodychevy
Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
RCERFE

I have been sick the last few day. I did redo the clutch. It wooks fine now. Thanks Bigdogchevy, and all that helped... Randy..
Old 01-07-2006, 01:28 PM
bigbodychevy

glad to here the truck is doing better.

Hope you are too.

Glad I could help.