Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Good greif, this thread is two and a half years old. Who dredges that far back??? The new guy, I guess. At least we can't fault him for not using the search button.

I still say it's all personal preference and that no starting system is perfect. They all have their good points and their bad points.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Stunt4life

Since its up again, I allways prefer a pullstart system for the vary obovious reasons... The people that buy the fancy starting systems have to much money to spend or are lazy imo. Of the half dozen cars ive owned from cold theyd fire in under 10 pulls all the time and under 5 when hot, usually first.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pullstart all the way. I do not miss the "hassle" of the support gear needed for the Rotostart. K.I.S.S applies to how I enjoy RC.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
newpat

Hi,
i know it's an old thread but i have one question for you P/S guys! i have a Savage X, got tired of charging my Roto (and actually lost the charger [:@] ) and switched to pull... so far i love it... however i'm worried about the handle... not that i'm a hard basher, but more like a poor driver!!! i see what kinda beating my cooling head went through, so i'm just wondering if you guys did anything to protect your pull handle... since it's plastic and flexible it shouldnt be bad, but i'm sure someone out here came up with a fancy idea

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 AM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

Pull start on my Xl, love it.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't realize this was an old post either, until it was mentioned..

The origanal person mentioned EZ start roto and pull shart.

I have a rustler with the ez start. although I still use my glow plug warmer (just because I can't be bothered to mess with the wire inside the head. But I really like it. This truck I am thinking of useing as an intro to nitro for my 5 year old son. I don't see why he'd have a problem turning it on and starting it by himself. Of course after I show him what to do. But I like it for that reason mostly. It's easy enough for him to do while I am starting up my savage..

The savage on the other hand has a pull start at the moment. I am not a fan of the pullstart as I to has ended up with the rope in my hands to many times.. See I don't like to have to mess around like that.. The pullstart right now is working fine. But when I pull it out for the first time, I garentee a rotostart next.. As everyone has said it's all what YOU like. I don't mind bringing along the roto start Not any differant from the EZ start except the belt clip. And in the end I find theres less trouble. Some one said something about parts wearing out in the roto start.. that will happen over time, obviously...... You never know when the pullstart will just let go on you. I'd hate to drive somewhere get out my stuff, pull twice on the cord and pack up and go home... that's my problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A pull-start is fine for warm weather. It is also fine for a broken-in engine. I converted everyting to roto-start for these reasons. For my on-road cars, I had to install an upwards pointing Tiger-Drive. They need a reverse rotation roto-start, so I have two. One is wired for opposite rotation. A reversing switch is another option. On the Tiger-Drive, I made a hex-drive from an allen-wrench by cutting off the "L".

I would prefer the pull-start in summer and with a broken-in engine, but I'm too lazy to convert back.

Starter boxes.....never. Most of my driving is off-road, and I don't want to carry one of those things over hill and dale to my bashing spot. Plus they won't work with many MTs although are fine for buggies. Just an extra system.

Overall, a roto-start works for me.

oh...did I mention the bleeding blisters I got from a pull-start with a finickity engine that wasn't broken in? Or the dissapointment of breaking the pull-start cord when you're far away from your junk-box full of spare parts?

There's currently a poll on this subject in the General Discussion forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8171833/tm.htm
Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM
BudBud

WOW!! Another 2006 thread pulled back from the archives.... I have both... use both... like both... prefer to pull...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 AM
hitman678

Ill go with a rotostart or start box i hate pullstart there a big pain i only flood my engine once with my rotostart. By the way most pro use start boxs pull start is just a big pain in the butt.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

holy forum dredging
Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 AM
ezl_oo
My Feedback: (1)

I had rotostart when I first started on my xl and switched to pull start and won't look back. I just couldn't deal with having to carry that rotostart around everytime my truck flipped over. Now I just carry a glow plug and a small flat head screw driver for tuning in my pocket...I love it!!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I have used both several times.

Honestly, if you have a newer good working pull start, and the motor is tuned and idles good, ill take the pull start.

If you have an old worn out motor that doesent start well or is out of tune, roto start, any day!

I do like the fact that you dont have to carry batteries with the pull.

Its too early to say for sure which starting system i like best. I guess i like them both.

One major advantage to a pull start IMO is that i think it is WAY easier on the one way bearing. The roto beats them to death seems to me like.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
bray 1

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Good greif, this thread is two and a half years old. Who dredges that far back??? The new guy, I guess. At least we can't fault him for not using the search button.

I still say it's all personal preference and that no starting system is perfect. They all have their good points and their bad points.
wow this thread is over 3 years old you gotta be kidding me that someone brought it back up [:@]
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Sir Lex VI

i hate pull start, i've only had one pull start that didnt break on a rush evo, i much prefer roto start! so much better! aahhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
bray 1

ORIGINAL: Sir Lex VI

i hate pull start, i've only had one pull start that didnt break on a rush evo, i much prefer roto start! so much better! aahhhhhhhhhh
since u decided to post on this super old forum ill tell u what ithink roto start is good and is easy to us but pull start is better since u dont have to carry a bunch of stuff around for roto start and dont worry about batterys
Old 03-22-2009, 11:01 PM
-SomeGuy-

Well three years later, have gotten much better at tuning and I still much prefer the roto. My piccos all start within a couple seconds, usually almost as soon as I press the button.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie needs a new gearset for his roto

There is a tooth missing[:@]
Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
gumby46

Does the pull-start assembly for the 4.6 work on the 5.9?

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJYU3&P=7]HPI Pull Start Assembly K4.6[/link]

Any new feelings on pull-starting a 5.9? I like the idea of not carrying extra stuff as well as anything that is easier on the motor.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
barrydidntknow

Yup I have it on mine....

Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
gumby46

ORIGINAL: barrydidntknow

Yup I have it on mine....
I'm assuming you are happy with it?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 AM
barrydidntknow

Yup. I think my one way bearing is crapping out from my roto start use but I love it. No more chargers or battery issues. Converted my nitro 4 tech to pull start to.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 AM
DaveG55

Lots of stuff in this thread is too funny...

First, people are confusing preference to better performance.

Second, Roto starts (any powered system really) is no harder on a OWB than a PS. If the engine is tuned properly a roto will fire the engine on one very short burst just as a PS will start it on a very few pulls. A poorly tuned engine will require you to crank & crank a Roto start and require you to pull & pull & pull a PS and neither are good for the engine.

Third, why do people think that just because someone prefers to use a roto start system that they are inexperienced? In my 44 years of playing with nitro powered models I've used every type of starting system made for nitro engines. I'll bet there are not 5 people on here who remember the very first style of PS!!!! The kind where you actually wrapped a cord around the flywheel and pulled, anybody remember or actually used one of those?

Fourth, Does any one really understand what a "Pro(fessional)" is? The only thing that makes a person a "Pro" at something is getting paid to do that thing. It does NOT mean that they are exceptional, or even good, at what they are doing. Merely that they are getting paid to do it.

As I said in my very first post, 3 years ago, neither system is "better" than the other, it's all personal preference. It's all what you like, and I still like the powered systems better.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
true2dz

Yeah i just to like rotostart but went back to pull start,If you got your needle setting ok' and when it's cold i also use a heat gun to warm my engine up it takes 2-3 pulls and engine starts all the time. I havent had a string brake yet im happy with pull start. I also got tired of carring extra batts and the rest of the stuff.[:@] pull start for me thanx.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
cenracer2

I just bought a roto start for my ct5 because my pullstart broke, but somehow I have not jet start it with my roto start, I don't
know why, or maybe it does not have enought power as the pullstart. can give me some advie about the roto start, is it worth
spending the money....
Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
russ722
My Feedback: (15)

rotostart , im a newbie though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.