Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

pullstart conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:50 PM
whitesox350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pullstart conversion?

converting the savage x to a pullstart (with the stock motor), how much faster would it be? i know that it would weigh less, so it would be atleast a little faster
where could i get the conversion? how much are they?
are they relatively easy to install?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:02 AM
ddubdb3

Default RE: pullstart conversion?

the truck wouldn't be any faster with a pull start. you need a pull start recoil. i wouldn't install one its not worth the time or the money in my opinion. the roto start works great and its pretty convienant. your arm might get a little tired from tuggin on the starter after awhile i used to get cuts on my fingers from my old maxx.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:04 AM
amec

There is stuff all difference in the weight of the roto back plate and a pullstart assembly.
If you want faster you need to get rid of the starter shaft in the motor. That seems to be where the resistance is. But then, how will you start it?
If you want to go faster, tune well and keep the running gear in good shape. Keep the air filter clean and oiled and use good quality fuel.
But just remember. There is no replacement for displacement. Size does matter
Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
whitesox350z

ok, was just wondering because i saw the little conversion things on a site and was wondering if they helped performance at all
what spur/pinion size do you guys use for your x?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
spacecase25

hey man dont listen about the BS everybody is slingin about pullstart. i have one never have to pull more then 5 times to start engine(i figure everbody else has problems do to operator error) if you bash a pull start is the way to go (dont have to carry roto start everywhere ) all you will need is to carry is your igniter.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
amec

I'm with you spacecase. Nothing more than a glow igniter is required in the pocket.