Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

!!!Got my Savage X today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 AM
shorty1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!Got my Savage X today!!!

Hi guys I got my savage x today and im wrapped and it looks great. I wanted to know if you guys could give me some tips and things to do to the truck before i run it.
thanks [8D][sm=tongue.gif]
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 AM
SavageHoon

Default RE: !!!Got my Savage X today!!!

loctite everything that tightens in to a metal thread. Let the loctite cure fully over 12hrs or overnight (as instructions advise).

GO BASHING!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:27 AM
icantfly

make sure to allign your spur gear properly or you will be buying spares alot sooner than you would like.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

what icantfly and Hoon said. better to spend 2 hours going over the truck to make sure every screw threaded into metal is loctited and the gear mesh is set properly rather than have a $5 part your LHS doesn't have in stock keep you from running for a week.

Also, double and triple check your radio gear's connections and the linkages. many Savages haven't had the steering servo centered properly. basically, turn on the Tx and RX and set the steering trim to center, remove the servo horn on the steering servo, and make sure it's at a 90 degree angle to the body of the servo.

I also recommend upgrading to aluminum clutch shoes and a hardened clutchbell. the 17 tooth HPI bell (make sure it says 1m on the package, old Savages use 32pitch gears, and the X has metric pitch spur/clutchbell gears) aluminum shoes will chew up that stock clutchbell so quick it ain't funny, and the stock clutch has a habit of slipping and heating up the bell, causing spurs to strip.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
bhinton

hay make sure that when you are breaking it in that you lossen the glow plug a tad to fire it up until you have ran about a gallon through it
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Cronsire

GRATZ MAN
i got mine last night [8D]
swapped stuff over and going threw my first tank right now

i do not know thought if i need to wait for the engine to kewl off before i do the 2nd tank or not ??
i am assuming it will be safer to wait though
Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 AM
buggymangp

hey b
i got my X last sunday. i only did the first tank idle thing.
i have no time doing the week to run or play with it.
so every day i check on here to see what people are doing to thier X than
i go home(after dark) and check on the things people post about.
it helped me alot.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
emu

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

what icantfly and Hoon said. better to spend 2 hours going over the truck to make sure every screw threaded into metal is loctited and the gear mesh is set properly rather than have a $5 part your LHS doesn't have in stock keep you from running for a week.

Also, double and triple check your radio gear's connections and the linkages. many Savages haven't had the steering servo centered properly. basically, turn on the Tx and RX and set the steering trim to center, remove the servo horn on the steering servo, and make sure it's at a 90 degree angle to the body of the servo.

I also recommend upgrading to aluminum clutch shoes and a hardened clutchbell. the 17 tooth HPI bell (make sure it says 1m on the package, old Savages use 32pitch gears, and the X has metric pitch spur/clutchbell gears) aluminum shoes will chew up that stock clutchbell so quick it ain't funny, and the stock clutch has a habit of slipping and heating up the bell, causing spurs to strip.
No all Savages use 1M.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Really? WTH then? Why are there two different Savvy CB sections at my LHS then[sm=confused.gif] and one section only has 'em that say 1M...

i know they don't carry the non-hardened CB's.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
shorty1

Hey T
What is the best aftermarket cluch parts to upgrade to?
Are these wheelie bars for the x a good purchase ?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Cronsire

i made it to tuning and was poping wheelies at even at 2nd gear i think cause the tires are so bouncy yet i am def getting somesort of wheelie bar it would pop one and drag the tailgate area of the body already roughed it up alot or just pop on its back

i used my stock savy 25 spur setup i may not go back to the new version even if i can get some spurs later