Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Once hot, real pain to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once hot, real pain to start

Hi guys.
I have the 4.6 in my Savage SS and she runs a treat.
The only problems i have is once she is hot she is a real pain to get started again... it has only had like 2-3 gallons through it. runs at about 260'

Any hepl pls.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM

Default RE: Once hot, real pain to start

u might have an airleak or the piston and sleve r wearing out
Old 06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
My Feedback: (3)

If it's will not restart when it's hot, but will when it cools down, it's usually time for a piston and sleeve rebuild. Just because you only have about 3 gallons through and ran at 260 does not mean they are not worn out. You could have got some dirt come through the air filter.

Take the head off and turn the flywheel. You should feel some pinch at Top dead center, and the piston should try to push the sleeve out.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I agree check it out. How is the compression when you try to start it? Is there that much difference between hot and cold? If you do take the engine out I do recommend sealing it. I have well over 3 gallons (probably more like 4 or 5) throw my 4.6 and it still starts hot or cold and runs real well. Being it has a pull starter which I like I have to turn the throttle trim up when starting as I cannot hold the truck down pull the starter and work the throttle at the same time. I have several small block trucks the pinch is not real good and they still start easily and run great.
Good Luck
Old 06-21-2006, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Most of the time, when a nitro engine gets hot from running, it can be difficult to re-start because it gets vapor-locked. That's when the heat of the engine actually pushes the fuel back out of the lines and away from the carb. There's a couple ways to combat this: 1 - use a can of bottled air to spray down the carb to cool it or 2 - run the engine a little richer to keep the temps down. You could always just keep cranking until it starts too. In my experience, some engines succumb to this phenomenon more than others.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM

My friend had the same problem with his on-road. He ran the car initially, no problems, went to go to start the second tank; it was a pain to start. He was informed that there was low compression in the engine, to fix this problem you could either buy a new engine or purchase a rebuild kit to restore compression. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 PM

I agree, not that it means much. If the engine is loose it usually won't run well when it's up to temp cause of the lack of compression.

Eric