Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

half-tank lean problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: half-tank lean problem!!!

ORIGINAL: DahlELama

My header tank solution....

2oz Hayes header tank. With the weighted pickup (clunk) in there the truck will run for a long time upside down.
That's a nice setup. You would'nt mind posting or PM me the instructions, parts, and procedures needed to make this?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 AM
12Stones

With the half tank lean i just disconected the presure line from the pipe and richened it up. The motor can be tuned and it stays right at 230 and my change by a degree or so with a sure fire .32, it works good i dont worry because the tank has a fuel filter and the engine doesnt load up with fuel because it only uses the fuel it needs to stay running.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

With the half tank lean i just disconected the presure line from the pipe and richened it up. The motor can be tuned and it stays right at 230 and my change by a degree or so with a sure fire .32, it works good i dont worry because the tank has a fuel filter and the engine doesnt load up with fuel because it only uses the fuel it needs to stay running.
If indeed it works that good I wonder why they dont manufacture them this way?
this must be like the Adam Drake set up. I think I want to try this one just to see what happens, I will post my results too.
after you disconnect the pressure line do you plug it or leave it open? plugging it seems the tank would vapor lock.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 AM
PillowPants

It's true. 12Stone's savage used to have a bad half tank lean before he disconected and plugged the pressure line. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-23-2006, 03:38 PM
rheeder218

well i tried removing the exhaust pressure tube to the tank and it ran great but seemed like it was lean so i had to turn the HS out pretty much to factory settings. I then plugged the hole on the tank where the pressure hose hooks too and it wouldnt run. So could i just leave a little bit of that hose on the tank and put a fuel filter or air filter to keep stuff from getting into the tank?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it gets to half a tank, just refuel or simply just tune your HSN a little richer initially (what I do) so when it gets to a half tank, the leanout isn't as noticeable.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: rheeder218

well i tried removing the exhaust pressure tube to the tank and it ran great but seemed like it was lean so i had to turn the HS out pretty much to factory settings. I then plugged the hole on the tank where the pressure hose hooks too and it wouldnt run. So could i just leave a little bit of that hose on the tank and put a fuel filter or air filter to keep stuff from getting into the tank?
Thats what I'm going to do. all you'd really need is to have the line tucked somewhere dirt cant get to it, but a small filter should work nice. I'm going to dig around in the many coffee cans full of do-dads see what I can find.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:37 PM
rheeder218

ORIGINAL: bumperdragger

When it gets to half a tank, just refuel or simply just tune your HSN a little richer initially (what I do) so when it gets to a half tank, the leanout isn't as noticeable.
this is what i am tryin to avoid, having to take the top off and tune midway through the run. That seems pointless to me. I cold just fill the tank halfway and tune it and keep it like that all the time. I need to get a temp reader to find out if im to lean. should you be able to hold your hand on the head for a long period of time or should it just be instant touch?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thanks to Dalhema, I just got my Savage and T-maxx rebuilt with Dubro 2oz tanks resting behind the rear bulkheads. It looks really cool but I can wait to test it out on monday. Ill post pics as soon as I get my trucks running. Im hoping this cheap little trick will provide me with longer runtimes and solve the half tank lean. Ill give you guys a report around tuesday, cheers, Tom.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 PM
12Stones

ORIGINAL: rheeder218

Yeah you have to richen it up because it isnt forcing fuel into the carb, also you need to have a little bit of fuel line that extends lower than the lid on the tank so that when you roll it fuel wont drip out. Your tank takes care of keeping the fuel clean when going to the carb with its fuel filter but if you run in the sand then it may matter.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:45 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 12Stones
Your tank takes care of keeping the fuel clean when going to the carb with its fuel filter but if you run in the sand then it may matter.
I know somebody that isn't gonna be loaning you a .15CV-X any time soon
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Well thanks to Dalhema, I just got my Savage and T-maxx rebuilt with Dubro 2oz tanks resting behind the rear bulkheads. It looks really cool but I can wait to test it out on monday. Ill post pics as soon as I get my trucks running. Im hoping this cheap little trick will provide me with longer runtimes and solve the half tank lean. Ill give you guys a report around tuesday, cheers, Tom.
Ditto. I wanted the Hayes, but the store I went to did'nt have one. I too settled for the Dubro. Tried to run yesterday with the 2oz tank, primed the line by blowing thru the exhaust pressure line, and tried to start. I hydro locked and my starter began to slip to protect the engine! Cleared the flood and tried again. flooded again. This time, my STS's roto gear stripped teeth.

Anyways, when I get back to the house (I'm out of town, I'll put on the spare gear and prime the line JUST TO THE INTAKE NIPPLE (i.e. I learned a hard lesson). Based on my experience yesterday, this in-line tank trick adds significant pressure to the fuel line and should copensate for all of the half-tank leaning problems.

I can't wait to get home to repair my roto back-plate and give it another try.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Gravrober

I was just thinking{look out} that running without the pressure line and richening the mix to compensate would use more fuel. 12Stones, have you noticed any run time changes with this set up?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Im surprised this thread has not been brought forward as often; the question of how to take care of the half tank lean problem keeps coming up.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
cord arrow

I bought a little 2 ounce tank that I run in line with the stock one....the little tank doesn't have a shelf so it killed the problem.....things have been alot better since
Yep, that's what I did...I only have a 10 to 15 degree swing now, as opposed to a 25 to 30 before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52957.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	709961  
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
(X)

You're stupid, I made a half tank lean thread earlier, I was gonna keep it bumped for everyone to use, maybe until it gets stickied..

Why did you bring back this, 1 YEAR OLD THREAD??
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
burnchassis3

Sup Cord..still waiting to get together.
I also just added a 2nd tank for mine.
I like the Idea of longer upside down run time ,and less leaning at 1/2 tank..plus longer overall runtime.
CS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71289.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	710206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93671.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	710207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47837.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	710208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64473.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	710209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43492.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	710210  
Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
cord arrow

You're stupid,
Perhaps, but you're English....I believe I got the better end of that deal...
Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I used the header tank mod (Du-bro S2 tank) for a while, but I ripped it off because it was too troublesome to fill up and I just dealt with the half-tank lean issue till now. I live in a valley, and it gets to about 100-110 during the day lately. I've also been going to the beach, where its about 70 degrees, so it causes some pretty significant changes in tuning.

That, combined with the half-tank lean issue is giving me one heck of a time when I get the trucks to the beach or back here, so I'm looking at purchasing the New Era tank mod. I think I'll buy one New Era tank kit and install it on my Savage X 4.1, and purchase a spare OFNA fuel tank on Tower Hobbies. Once I get my New Era kit, I'll look it over and see if I can fab up one out of stuff I have around the house for the Savage 21.

It looks as though I could make it from some 1 inch angle aluminum I have and some round aluminum stock tapped out to about a 3mm screw at either end, but I would prefer to have one kit in my hands to look at rather then depend on pictures.

If it all works out, I'll post what I used and how I made it so anyone else won't have to spend $30 + shipping on the New Era kit. Keep in mind that if I do fab up my own, I'll only use a drill, drill and tap, some sort of saw (band saw, pipe saw, scroll saw, you have it), and a belt sander, so most anyone will be able to make one without the use of a bender, grinder, or anything else somewhat excessive (although those would make life easier and give a cleaner look). Okay, I lied. I might use a drill press to drill my own round stock since I have some 1/4" and 3/8" solid aluminum rod. But, I'm pretty sure you can get aluminum stock at most any hardware store.

I hope to have everything by this next weekend, so I'll let you all know how it comes out!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: HPI Staff

What you're missing is that all R/C fuel tanks do basically the same thing, slightly rich when full, slightly lean when empty. The problem comes when people tune their engine too lean, then it gets really lean toward the end of the tank and the engine rapidly overheats. The solution is to run a little on the rich side. Richen it up so that it runs good at 1/2 tank. When tuned properly you can run all day long without overheating.

(Real cars get around this problem by using a fuel pump and a pressure regulator)
I've had many of my own nitro's R/C's NOT react this way...and run the same temperature all the way down the tank. Saying what you are is just the same as saying anyone having a leaning issue isn't smart enough to tune an R/C. I'd beg to differ adamantly my man. If it's simply tuning, then why does my S-25 (in X SS chassis) gain 20 degrees right at mid-tank and then richen up the same amount lower down the tank?! And then why did this same problem mysteriously *go away* when I changed fuel tanks but did not touch a single adjustment needle??

Same general weather conditions on both so the results are skewed there.

So the tank is just coincidence? I really don't think so.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: LewisEvans

You're stupid, I made a half tank lean thread earlier, I was gonna keep it bumped for everyone to use, maybe until it gets stickied..

Why did you bring back this, 1 YEAR OLD THREAD??
Seriously, chill. The reason why I brought this thread forward is because I thought I had a very good explanation of why the half-tank lean occurs. HPI Staff also responded and added to the discussion in hopes of shedding more light. This thread also has solutions in addition to explanations. The thread you started has solutions, but unfortunately, your thread does not have any proposed explanations of what might cause half-tank leaning. As a matter of fact, I brought this thread forward to answer your question,

How come when-ever I get to half tank my Savage X runs lean?
I admit I am biased, but I really like my explanation and maybe more could shed some more light on the issue. Fully understanding what causes the half tank lean is the first step to eliminating it.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 AM
ashburg

Here's what I did for the [link]http://www.ashburg.com/savagex/hopups/halfleanissuefix.htm[/link]Savage Half Tank Lean Issue
Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 AM
munro300

Hey ashburg what are the large zip ties for in the last photo at the bottom, they almost look like limiters on the suspension travel?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
ashburg

hey man, yep, they are suspension limiters. They route through the shock towers on either side, then down past the dogbone, under the center of the lower a arm, and back up through...adjust to suit height preference. Works a charm if you are racing and cornering...won't roll over

ORIGINAL: munro300

Hey ashburg what are the large zip ties for in the last photo at the bottom, they almost look like limiters on the suspension travel?